List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

9 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

So while my OS may have a GetVolumeInformationA entry in kernel32.dll, the game is not calling that

Since KnownDLLs redirection isn't working, try using a PE editor to change the import DLL name from ...core-file... to Kernel32.dll in any files that import it.

My ImportPatcher does this easily, but only on 32-bit PE files.

We can probably not count Wolfenstein: The New Order at this time as using 3 api files from Windows 8.0 and copying the kernel32.dll from Windows 7 and renaming it as api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-2.dll allowed the game to actually launch. I was really expecting it to keep asking for more different files to hunt down but glad enough I can actually play this game. So this can be a way to try to get programs to work in Windows 7 but only those programs that aren't doing a hard check on the OS itself.

And now my Windows 7 PC has joined the old tradition of my Windows 98 PC as having future OS files in it to run programs it isn't supposed to be running. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 1:00 PM, マホウ said:

I haven't tried Elden Ring, but I have tried another patch made by the same person for MegaMix+ on 7. I (and many, many others) haven't gotten it to run on 7 unfortunately, supposedly since the game prefers DX11.1 over DX11.0. It doesn't seem to play nice with compatibility layers either. He has screenshots of it running on 7, so I'll assume that there might be something else at play. The point is, the patches he makes seem to be hit or miss depending on the game, they seem to just work or not work. Granted, I'm not too well versed in this kind of thing, so take that with a grain of salt.  :unsure:

I was worried, as the NexusMods documentation for Elden Ring on Win7 was a mess, but I'm guessing it must work well enough, as the Win7 patch is now included in the latest repack by a certain girl in the scene.

4 hours ago, 25495k said:

.NET Framework 4.8.1 killed the support for Windows 7 and 8.1

image.png.8398be4724b3b1bd72a97c98389f1142.png

what? .net framework is not developed, it is replaced by .net Core, and the version 6 of .net Core still support Windows 8.1 at least.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, Darth Agnon said:

...Elden Ring on Win7 was a mess...

Hi ! Is there any actual proof that it would work with those patches ? So far, all of the stories I see are quite unreliable . Did you try it yourself ? Thanks.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:18 PM, Sergiaws said:

what? .net framework is not developed, it is replaced by .net Core, and the version 6 of .net Core still support Windows 8.1 at least.

net. Core 6 and even 7 Beta support Win 7.

16 hours ago, Darth Agnon said:

OBS 28 is now out of beta. It is built using Qt6 and Win7 is no longer supported. Last Qt5 version that should work on Win7 is v27.2.4

it is actually possible to run obs 28.0.1 in windows 7, thanks to patched qt6 files found here

28.0.0, i was able to update from last supported windows 7 version of obs. but when i received new 28.0.1 update, i had to manually install it using the installer app and repatch files since the update checker blocks windows 7 from updating anymore

can we please move obs studio to requires mod to work on win7?

On 9/3/2022 at 1:10 AM, D.Draker said:

Someone tried Saints Row remake 2022 ? Says SetProcessDefaultCpuSets is missing ! So guess could add to this list too...

It is in the kernel32.dll from Windows 10, so try copy that to the working dir on the game and see what happens.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, Tripredacus said:

It is in the kernel32.dll from Windows 10, so try copy that to the working dir on the game and see what happens.

Good idea, I'll try, thanks ! By any chance , do you know are there any newer ported nVidia drivers ? I've recentlty tried several new games and none of them worked because the last driver for Win 7 is very old .

Looks like win 7 is a lost cause. And yes , I even tried to update the system to the last supported level. BTW , Elden Ring didn't work . Well , if I apply the suggested above patches , it starts and I can hear the sound with an empty black screen + cursor . Definitely looks like a driver issue . My card and CPU are supported .