List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

4 hours ago, ivanbuto said:

Latest version of MKVToolNix – Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows doesn't launch on Windows 7 anymore.

Last version to work thus far is 66.0.

Here is the changelog:
https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/NEWS.md

The error I get is as follows.

image.png.4dbd5d7db6f91636252f8381b6064138.png

Download ReShade, extract the installer, rename ReShade64.dll (Reshade32.dll if the app you downloaded is 32bits) to dxgi.dll and copy the file to the installation folder

9 hours ago, LS4280 said:

Download ReShade, extract the installer, rename ReShade64.dll (Reshade32.dll if the app you downloaded is 32bits) to dxgi.dll and copy the file to the installation folder

Thanks, this worked... can you explain more? Does this substitute a component of DirectX for something else?

However, more errors are on the horizon.

image.png.0b7c9284f6608d7b294c381ac98bfb32.png

I don't know if replacing this file, which does exist in the System32 directory, with a version taken from Windows 10 would work and would be a wise thing to do.

Edited by ivanbuto

12 hours ago, ivanbuto said:

Does this substitute a component of DirectX for something else?

Yeah, you can use it for games and video software (but you need to copy the file to the installation folder)

12 hours ago, ivanbuto said:

I don't know if replacing this file, which does exist in the System32 directory, with a version taken from Windows 10 would work and would be a wise thing to do.

i tried but, it doesn't work

image.png.2355bac9454278c3d2cfe7825f025b16.png

edit : i successfully get mkvtool to work (by using api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll from 6.3.9600.16384, renamed to api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-1.dll, copied in system32 folder, and modified mkvtool, mkvpropedit.exe, mkvmerge.exe, mkvinfo.exe and mkvextract.exe to use api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-1.dll by using cff explorer) but the system information menu freezes the app

image.thumb.png.9adfa54e6f4293e0fc9309c85b58a704.png

Edited by LS4280
edited the file version

6 hours ago, ivanbuto said:

Presuming the working dir for the program isn't System32, you can be safe but you put the "newer" file into the program's working dir. Typically the working dir is where the .exe is, unless launched from a shortcut that indicates the working dir is somewhere else. Windows depends search order is in your favor as the working dir is often the first place Windows will look for a file with System32 being last, which is a compatibility shim that dates back to the 9x days. BUT the caveat is that this only works if the binary uses relative paths to find files and may not work if the binary uses absolute paths or paths with env vars. At least it doesn't hurt to try using the working dir method as you aren't changing anything with the OS.

22 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Have you all tried the VxKex kernel extensions to see if that works? Check the thread.

No, it does not work, it outputs an error at startup and an error when adding a file. But if you combine all the methods suggested above, add files to the folder dxgi.dll from ReShade and api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll from windows 8.1 and enable VxKex, then the program starts and works correctly. The api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0 file is enough to copy to the mkvtoolnix folder, there is no need to change calls via Cff Explorer.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Dolphin (Wii/Gamecube emulator) has allegedly dropped support for Windows 7 and 8 (source). Last working version seems to be v5.0-16236. I haven't tested this, so cannot confirm whether it's true, or just one of those quote-unquote "support dropped" but it still works, like PCSX2, or if newer builds can be "fixed" with one of those compatibility layer DLLs.

PCSX2 has released an alpha Qt build and " for now it's only available on Windows 10 and above, no Linux or Mac executables yet". Given the direction of PCSX2, Ryujinx, Dolphin, I doubt legacy support is a priority. Whether it will still work on Win7 or earlier will depend on whether it's Qt 5 (still works) or Qt6 (dropped support for 7) Qt 6.3-based, no Windows 7 support. (unless someone figures out a fix for Qt6).

EDIT: There's an unofficial build by one of the devs that uses Qt 6.2, which is compatible with Win8, and should be compatible with Win7

Keep an eye on any notable Qt projects you care about, as it's likely they will soon drop Win7 support by moving to Qt6. Example: MultiMC Minecraft launcher (though it has legacy reasons for staying on old versions  of Qt), UltimMC, PolyMC (both based off MultiMC)

Edited by Darth Agnon
Qt6

Qt6.3 is incompatible below Windows 10 (source).   However, there's a bunch of unofficial compatibility patches starting development in this thread on the Qt forums. What is Qt and why should you care? It is a framework for building a lot of open-source applications (incomplete list on Wikipedia), and QtWebView is a key alternative to bloated Electron. If Qt drops support for sub-Win10, then potentially all the software that depends on it will no longer work below Win10.

Edited by Darth Agnon

9 hours ago, ivanbuto said:

How is it possible?

Perhaps because of this, here is one of the records of the changlog:

* MKVToolNix GUI: when compiled with Qt 5 the character set of INI files is forced to UTF-8 in order to fix reading INI files written by a version compiled with Qt 6. Fixes #3346.

I found another program compiled with QT6, QMMP version 2. It starts to work after adding in folder API-MS-Win-Synch-L1-2-0.dll from Win 8.1 and dxgi.dll from ReShade. Vxkex is not required. Perhaps most of the QT6 programs will be launched after adding these two DLLs.