List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

On 2/21/2022 at 11:35 PM, ivanbuto said:

The following error appears upon launching the installer:
image.png.570336854232235edb3e350fdf12eddb.png

So I ended up downloading the missing dll from dll-files.com and placing copies of both 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the respective Windows system directories. Managed to install Vidcoder 7 successfully! (Whether there might be issues with the software when actually using it is to be determined).

On 2/26/2022 at 11:06 AM, vxiiduu said:

For anyone who wants to play it, someone made a mod to allow Elden Ring (which uses DX12) to run on Windows 7. I've tested it and it sort of works fine, but has very bad performance at least on my computer.
https://www.nexusmods.com/eldenring/mods/12

elden ring win7.jpg

Have you tested on Win 10 as well, hows performance compared to it and what's your specs?

On 2/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, ivanbuto said:

Wow, thanks for your efforts! I'll be glad to understand better how this works, I assume OneDriveSetup.exe uses the "local" kernel32.dll.

I've been unsuccessful following the instructions thus far. Get the following error upon launching OneDriveSetup.exe.

image.png.02eadee71190f7fac1d793ffedda4e05.png

For me, I had to copy the x86 version of msvcr100.dll to the folder to get it to work. Since onedrive is a 32 bit application, it seems to not want to work with the 64 bit version of msvcr100.dll. 

Some Syinternals utilities no longer work on Windows 7.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

I have tested TCPView 4.x x64 and the latest version of Process Monitor, which do not work

However, others continue to run fine even with the updated interface, although system requirements are listed as Windows 8.1 or higher.

Unfortunately there is a lack of information on the site about which versions are the last good to work on various operating systems, and older versions are not available for download.

1 hour ago, ivanbuto said:

Some Syinternals utilities no longer work on Windows 7.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

I have tested TCPView 4.x x64 and the latest version of Process Monitor, which do not work

However, others continue to run fine even with the updated interface, although system requirements are listed as Windows 8.1 or higher.

Unfortunately there is a lack of information on the site about which versions are the last good to work on various operating systems, and older versions are not available for download.

Yes, I noticed that with process monitor. I got it fixed by installing a version from October 26, 2015. 

12 hours ago, ivanbuto said:

You can easily get old versions from webarchive: https://web.archive.org/web/20150219225823/https://live.sysinternals.com/

18 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, I noticed that with process monitor. I got it fixed by installing a version from October 26, 2015. 

The latest version to run OK seems to be 3.86, later versions give an error that the Process Monitor driver cannot be loaded.

Cryptomator v1.5.17 (https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptomator/releases/tag/1.5.17) is the final version to work on Windows 7/8/8.1/older 10. Cryptomator v1.6.x requires Win10 v1803 minimum; it's FOSS Java software, so modification might be possible. Or use Veracrypt which still works on Win7 (after a bit of a kerfluffle an update or two ago).

UserBenchmark component UBMSkillBench.exe now calls CreateFile2, but it doesn't seem to affect the ability to perform the benchmarking process, for now anyway.

But just in case, I wrote this out:

HANDLE CreateFile2(LPCWSTR lpFileName, DWORD dwDesiredAccess, DWORD dwShareMode, DWORD dwCreationDisposition, LPCREATEFILE2_EXTENDED_PARAMETERS pCreateExParams)
/*
  win32 - March 17 2022
  Tonight, I noticed UserBenchmark calling this Windows 8 function.

I'm not sure what the point is of this function; the documentation page says a lot about UWP usage, and a few extra flags which CreateFileW may be also be able to use on later OSes.

*/
{
   if(!pCreateExParams)
     return CreateFileW(lpFileName, dwDesiredAccess, dwShareMode, NULL, dwCreationDisposition, 0, NULL);

return CreateFileW(lpFileName, dwDesiredAccess, dwShareMode, pCreateExParams->lpSecurityAttributes, dwCreationDisposition, pCreateExParams->dwFileAttributes | pCreateExParams->dwFileFlags | pCreateExParams->dwSecurityQosFlags, hTemplateFile);

}

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I dont think that Mozilla will stop supporting Firefox on Windows 7, since their current situation depends on user numbers. Firefox has a world-wide market share below 5% and Google has a contract with Mozilla that expires in 2023. I dont think Google will be interested in expanding their partnership, if Mozilla loses more users than they already did. Cutting of Windows 7 will make a majority of people stop using Firefox, so making Firefox lose even more market share. They're trying everything they can do now to make more people use their browser. As I reported earlier, they even built Firefox on Windows 7 machines (look at 98.0 release notes - it's a W7 context menu).

It was also just announced that Firefox 100 will require the SHA2 Update on Windows 7 devices, which again underlines that they still care a lot about Windows 7 users.

I think Firefox will move Windows 7 to ESR in late 2023/2024

On 4/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, yoltboy01 said:

To be honest, I dont think that Mozilla will stop supporting Firefox on Windows 7, since their current situation depends on user numbers. Firefox has a world-wide market share below 5% and Google has a contract with Mozilla that expires in 2023. I dont think Google will be interested in expanding their partnership, if Mozilla loses more users than they already did. Cutting of Windows 7 will make a majority of people stop using Firefox, so making Firefox lose even more market share. They're trying everything they can do now to make more people use their browser. As I reported earlier, they even built Firefox on Windows 7 machines (look at 98.0 release notes - it's a W7 context menu).

It was also just announced that Firefox 100 will require the SHA2 Update on Windows 7 devices, which again underlines that they still care a lot about Windows 7 users.

I doubt they really care that much, based on the fact that Aero blur is totally broken on Firefox Win7 and it looks like garbage. I guess it will be good for Classic theme users.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:41 PM, yoltboy01 said:

Yes, indeed. Strangely enough that kb regarding SHA2 was never installed on my system. Anyways I downloaded it from Microsoft

https://www.ghacks.net/2022/04/01/firefox-100-requires-the-windows-update-kb4474419-on-windows-7/

My problem with mozilla is, that  since version 97 there is a slight stutter on youtube videos that can be very annoying. Even though

it has been reported to bugzilla nothing has been done about it. Actually it affects Nvidia cards. I had to use opera or the overbloated vivaldi in order to listen to music or watch videos on youtube. I also downgraded mozilla to the esr version and by changing browser.sessionstore.interval from 15000 to 60000 did the trick . well almost. you still get the odd freeze here and there but  sound is not affected at all. Couple of weeks ago I installed Librewolf that plays all youtube videos flawlessly . You can get it from here if you wish. https://librewolf.net/installation/windows/

I am extremely happy with it. Apart from chromium browsers even palemoon and @roytam1 New moon ( on windows XP) reproduce youtube videos perfectly unlike mozilla.

Edited by Tangy