Windows 98 throwing errors on startup and setup in VMware and Virtualbox if used on AMD Richland CPU

bob_smith

I don't currently have screenshots, but Windows 98SE seems to give me errors about random things but especially rundll32, and this happens on login, setup, and just while performing tasks like booting up MS office. I know this behavior doesn't seem to appear on Intel PCs, and it happens on both Virtualbox, and VMware, any fix available for this?

Edited by bob_smith

I have experienced this exact issue on my Ryzen system. Try using VMware Workstation 12. On my Ryzen system, Windows 98 works properly in a VMware Workstation 12 virtual machine.

Edited by Ximonite

Below is an experience of a physical installation only on 8xx chipsets:

I've only experienced this on Windows 98, I think???? I've found Windows 98SE isn't as friend with newer hardware compared to Windows ME. Perhaps give ME a try as a last resort; my Dell laptop's explorer.exe keeps crashing with Windows 98SE, but works just fine with ME.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:55 AM, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Below is an experience of a physical installation only on 8xx chipsets:

I've only experienced this on Windows 98, I think???? I've found Windows 98SE isn't as friend with newer hardware compared to Windows ME. Perhaps give ME a try as a last resort; my Dell laptop's explorer.exe keeps crashing with Windows 98SE, but works just fine with ME.

When you say 8xx chipsets, are you talking about the Intel 8xx chipsets or the AMD 8xx chipsets?

If you are talking about the AMD 8xx chipsets, then I would suggest that @bob_smith tries Windows ME in a virtual machine to see if the results are different.

Edited by Ximonite

On 10/19/2020 at 7:56 AM, Ximonite said:

When you say 8xx chipsets, are you talking about the Intel 8xx chipsets or the AMD 8xx chipsets?

If you are talking about the AMD 8xx chipsets, then I would suggest that @bob_smith tries Windows ME in a virtual machine to see if the results are different.

I am using an Intel chipset. I've never had access to an AMD chipset. The laptop was also a Dell.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

On 10/30/2020 at 1:06 PM, Agorima said:

It's better to use PCem for DOS/Win9x. Virtualizing these operating systems is equivalent to install a Ford T engine on their newest car.

It depends on the circumstances.  For my projects (all DOS-based), I use 86Box and DOSBox-Staging for compatibility testing, but the former lacks an easy way to get my test files into the system - in DOSBox I can use a shared folder, and in a Win98 VM I can mount my NAS directly and grab files from there.  In a DOS environment in 86Box, my only solution is to take the files from my main development system, create a floppy disk image in a XP VM, pop that into 86Box, and then copy the files to the correct place. 

Not having access to 98 VMs in VMWare was a big enough deal that I almost considered sending back my Ryzen 3900X - I use it that much and it completely messed up my workflow.  I ended up settling with using an XP VM (which has 'close enough' compatibility via NTVDM) and using DOSBox-Staging for most of my testing.  If I want to test on accurate hardware, I just plop it onto my 486 (well, at least when I have it hooked up, anyway).

3 hours ago, Damaniel said:

For my projects (all DOS-based), I use 86Box and DOSBox-Staging for compatibility testing, but the former lacks an easy way to get my test files into the system

If you use raw disk images, just close 86Box and mount the image in the host using ImDisk. Copy the files, unmount, and start 86Box again.