Windows 2000 SP4 Updating - Next Steps

i430VX

Hello. Recently, I got windows 2000 SP4 installed on my ThinkPad T60. I got the drivers taken care of. I also installed IE6. I suppose my usual updating method is no good here for 2 reasons... Supposedly Update Rollup 1 breaks multicore CPU support, and Windows Update does not work anymore.

So, basically... I'm wondering what is the best way to get my install fully updated? There is a LOT of options, apparently.

KB919521 (which is just a change to the registry) fixes whatever damage UR1 caused. But Windows 2000 always had issues in that area, but they don't manifest themselves until you standby/hibernate and return from those states. Running RMClock fixes that problem.

You should really look into HFSLIP 2000 as well for a fully updated Windows 2000. Just avoid the .NET add-ons as they're buggy. And extra care is required if you run nLite after HFSLIP (but not before).

HFSLIP looks like it is for slipstreaming. I've already got 2000 installed. Unless I'm understanding it wrong?

Also, I am having issues finding KB919521.

Edited by i430VX

3 hours ago, i430VX said:

HFSLIP looks like it is for slipstreaming. I've already got 2000 installed. Unless I'm understanding it wrong?

yeah, that's the thing. I'm not aware of a script that will apply the post-UR1 updates all the way to April 2013 to an existing Windows 2000 install. You could cheat with IE6 SP1 + KB951748 + KB2817183 though like I have in the past.

And KB919521 is this. I don't think they ever made an update package for it, though HFSLIP applies it along with enablebiglba:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL]
"14140000FFFFFFFF"=dword:00000010

7 minutes ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

BWC has a dual-core patch...perhaps test if that will fix the bug?

That is the same thing as in the post above. While it does work somewhat, it stops working after returning from standby/hibernation. RMClock continues to work in such cases and works well on the T60, but is not an option for Westmere or newer.

Edited by win32

Just now, Dylan Cruz said:

I only ever installed HFSLIP and that was it. No USP 5.1 or nLite or anything. Does that mean my W2K is missing updates? I thought that had all of them.

No. USP 5.1 is just an alternative to SP4 UR1. HFSLIP includes DX9.0c, IE6 SP1, post-EOS updates, XP embedded updates etc. And nLite is also an alternative to HFSLIP; they almost do the exact same things.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

No. USP 5.1 is just an alternative to SP4 UR1. HFSLIP includes DX9.0c, IE6 SP1, post-EOS updates, XP embedded updates etc. And nLite is also an alternative to HFSLIP; they almost do the exact same things.

Awesome, just was scared I was missing updates for a second. That's one thing I hate - not having the latest versions of all my old software!