Why are you still using Windows 7? Poll from ZDNet

erpdude8

I saw this poll on the ZDNet site asking why are users still using Windows 7.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/poll-why-are-you-still-using-windows-7/

results of that poll are posted in this recent article:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/poll-results-heres-why-people-are-sticking-with-windows-7/

what do you guys think?

Edited by erpdude8

From the questions (copy-pasta the questions in a reply if you want)

Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10 in the next 12 months?

Most people probably only have one computer so this question would be valid. Technically, I already upgraded to Windows 10, but I don't use that computer for my daily web surfing. I suspect I may eventually get to a point where I'd need up upgrade my gaming PC to Win10, but so far that doesn't seem like it would be any time soon. The driver for that will likely be game clients, once they eventually drop Win7 support.

There is also the aspect that some software that requires Windows 10 will work on Windows 7 (or the server equivalents) by making use of home directory dependency pathing. :sneaky:

Are you paying for extended support?

No

What is the main reason you haven't upgraded?

Everything stills works as required. I guess this response would fall into the "Don't Want to Upgrade" option that was in the poll. I could also technically fit into the "I'm moving to Linux" response, since the computer I have Win 10 on is a dual-boot with Linux. :ph34r:

I was using Windows XP x64 as my main operating system until recently, with Windows XP and Windows 7 x64 on different drives.  I moved to Windows 7 x64 only because I could no longer buy things on eBay.  Jitsi does not work on XP either.  Now I have my operating system on 1 drive and data on another, which is a handier arrangement.

Windows 7 has moved some settings around, which I don't like.  I really don't like the loss of the "up one level" icon on Explorer.  These changes are like a spouse who is constantly rearranging the furniture.  Change for the sake of change, not change in order to make things better.  I am using Office 2003, because I detest the ribbon layout.  There is an Excel 1040 spreadsheet that requires Office 2010 because the complexity of the calculations cannot be done in previous version of Excel.  However, I can't use it for my taxes since it does not have the 1099-OID form.  The author told me that I was the only one to ask for this form.  That being the case, I do not know if the 1099-OID form will be in the 2020 version.

I am not paying for extended support.  "Everything still works as required" explains my reason for not upgrading, too.  There is a lot of hardware & software that requires Windows 7 or newer, but as yet, there is not much out there requiring Windows 10.  I am able to use Windows Security Essentials now, but that has made no real difference so far..

No, if anything, I might either downgrade to Vista or upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R1. If new games don't support 7/8, guess I'll have to have a 10 PC I remote into to play games. Might try to make some sort of VNC that only uses 127.0.0.1 or something.

No, I actually usually don't update my system fully anyways, most of my installs are about 4 years out of date update wise.

Telemetry, bloat, instability, bad design, UWP, and more.

Note: Server 2008 R2 is basically Windows 7

Edit: I've realized that 127.0.0.1 wouldn't work, I'd need to use the network IP of the computer, but that's easy to grab.

Edited by asdf2345

1. No

2. No

3. Reason is that windows 10 is service and need mandotary forced updates. Up to windows 8.1 I was able delay updates until had time to patch and possibly troubleshoot broken stuff. Second is win10 keep changing too much. My Asus P4P800 mainboard worked all way trough every windows xp service packs using same old drivers while win10 stopped working on my intel atom based system on one update. And I am slowly moving to linux

1. I use Windows 10, Linux and 7 occasionally. I am planning to possibly move back to full Windows 7 at this point, or Windows 8.1. I can't use Server unfortunately because of how fun AMD is.

2. No.

3. Windows is NOT a service Microsoft. You use telemetry to collect our information and sell it to advertisers. I will not pay you with my personal information, which is MY PROPERTY, to use Windows 10.

Just now, Tonny52 said:

1. I use Windows 10, Linux and 7 occasionally. I am planning to possibly move back to full Windows 7 at this point, or Windows 8.1. I can't use Server unfortunately because of how fun AMD is.

2. No.

3. Windows is NOT a service Microsoft. You use telemetry to collect our information and sell it to advertisers. I will not pay you with my personal information, which is MY PROPERTY, to use Windows 10.

Windows Server works with AMD GPUs, you just need to modify the .inf

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3567 (Intel core i3 6006u) with Win7 Pro that I put in place of Win10 Home. This way my daily driver until about a month ago, when I received a Dell Latitude E5420 which I installed Vista on. I'll answer all the questions in the poll in this post.

Oh no. Why would I want to upgrade (actually downgrade) to an OS that is HORRIBLY bloated, unstable beyond all others, and spies on me and my data?

No, but I am keeping Win7 secured through 0patch and I encourage other Win7 holdouts to use this service that will continue to give Win7 and Server 2008 R2 security patches even beyond 2023 when the paid ESU program for Win7 ends.

Instability, unorganised mess of a UI, bloatware and ads, MS intruding into normal computer usage by FORCING users to create and sign in to an MS account, shoving Windows Updates down your throats (I was a Win10 home user who could not disable updates ANYTIME), the list goes on and on..

EDIT: I have moved on to Windows 8.1 on this laptop because I found it somehow faster than Windows 7

Edited by TECHGEEK

On 11/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, TECHGEEK said:

Also, I think @win32 would work on creating KernelEx for Win7 and 8.1 when programs become incompatible in the future. Let's all hope for the best and support @win32 to the best of our abillity if at all he creates this

As much as I would love to see extended kernel for 8.1. It will be hard. Windows 8.1 will not boot no matter what with custom non microsoft signed dll