D3D12 on windows 7

Jaguarek62

Little update. I've tried local redirection with Windows 7 Direct X files. In short nothing has changed. Windows 8.0 does not work either. New COD black ops game launched as an open beta and it does not work too. The D3D12.dll edited by @win32 does work in windows 7, but does not in Windows 8.1. I'm losing all hope and at the same time I'm really angry. The new COD actually crashes with error message (mind you it is not a Windows error report) https://prnt.sc/v1f39i

If anybody has some idea hit me up

Maybe DXVK would work. It does target Linux/WINE, but there has been success in using it for games on Windows 7:

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

download the tar.gz and extract the files in the x64 folder to your game folder.

forget it. just realized there are no d3d12 binaries. Though I wonder what would happen if the DirectX graphics kernel was replaced with the one from W7 (dxgi.dll, dxgi.sys, etc.). I think if it works, then graphics drivers would work as on W7. Windows 10 beta/1507's files may also provide an opportunity.

Edited by win32

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

Maybe DXVK would work. It does target Linux/WINE, but there has been success in using it for games on Windows 7:

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

download the tar.gz and extract the files in the x64 folder to your game folder.

The game is DirectX 12, so vkd3d should be used instead

The link I got vkd3d from earlier doesn't work anymore, and there's a newer version.

@Jaguarek62, you can grab a new d3d12.dll and dxgi.dll from this below, and it might work

https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

@win32 There's a game I'm wanting to run on Windows 7 with vkd3d, it doesn't launch because of missing functions. Maybe you could create a .dll with those functions for me?

8 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

doesn't launch because of missing functions.

What are those functions? Not long ago, I found out that there is a Windows 7 Pro key under my workstation, and I might just use it.

I know that user32.SetCoalescableTimer is needed to run Office 2019 setup (Office 2019 itself does run on Windows 7, with the help of a script from MDL), so I might work on something for that.

26 minutes ago, win32 said:

What are those functions? Not long ago, I found out that there is a Windows 7 Pro key under my workstation, and I might just use it.

I know that user32.SetCoalescableTimer is needed to run Office 2019 setup (Office 2019 itself does run on Windows 7, with the help of a script from MDL), so I might work on something for that.

Was looking into Office 2019 on 7, but couldn't find much, so I just added it to the requires 10+ list on this post

Also, I'll send you a message in a bit

2 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Try vkd3d on Windows 7

I would like to, but Windows 8.1 keeps "repairing" my hdd containing Windows 7. Why it just keeps "checking disk errors"?? the hdd itself is ok (basically brand new). Windows 7 then no longer boots and I have to reinstall it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 2:32 PM, BluePanda98 said:

Have anyone found a solution to this? I have registered just because of this. I want to play this game sooo bad, but I will not downgrade to Windows 10. 

I hope this will get fixed :rolleyes:

Still no solution. I only got one game to “launch” but then it crashes. I’m starting to lose all hope..

• 2 weeks later...