The source code for Windows XP has been published

windows2

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/the-windows-xp-source-code-was-allegedly-leaked-online/

XP SP1 and 2003 RTM. Some AMD64 stuff in there as well (six months before the Athlon 64 came out!). Circulating underground for several years, but has now surfaced.

Note: if the AMD64 code (though most of it seems to be platform agnostic, except for obvious stuff like ASM) for many ntdll functions is the same as it is in 2003 x64 SP2, then you have a bit of Vista/7 x64 code to play with as well, based on my disassembly.

While Windows XP was released almost 20 years ago, if any code is still used in modern versions of Windows, this leak could be a potential security risk.

So I guess we'll all have to shield ourselves from an onslaught of new exploits. :lol:

Edited by win32

These source codes were with some blood suckers ( read hackers) since 2004.
This source is shared with Russian Government and French government back in days.
God knows how it leaked. 
XP Sp1 / 2k3 RTM is more like Windows 2000, but Sp2 / Sp1 respectively made them different entity all together.
Much of legacy code were replaced from 2000/NT4 were replaced by much modern one. 
Kernel Mode except few API , XP and Server 2003 are identical but they never messed with user mode in XP 32bit until SP3.
XP may have 10% percent legacy code but Server 2003 has maybe 1% legacy code.
Its no shock that XP Sp1 is much faster than Sp2 in older CPU because Sp1 is much windows 2000.
Funny thing , Microsoft is not yet reacting.

7 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Doesn't this violate forum rules?

Probably a case of "get it while you can".  I'm certain this won't be online for long.

No links to or snippets of the code are actually published in this thread or the news article. So it's fine.

11 minutes ago, kasfruit said:

if we only could run some W7 programs on XP it would be amazing...

It would be frowned upon to do anything with this code around these parts, but I'd think maybe some NT4/win2k modder could see some value in this (moreso NT4 than W2K for the reasons Dibya said). But if we keep disassembling the binaries for the newer OSes we could hit a jackpot...

2 hours ago, win32 said:

No links to or snippets of the code are actually published in this thread or the news article. So it's fine.

It would be frowned upon to do anything with this code around these parts, but I'd think maybe some NT4/win2k modder could see some value in this (moreso NT4 than W2K for the reasons Dibya said). But if we keep disassembling the binaries for the newer OSes we could hit a jackpot...

Is it possible to use these codes to develop MTP and umdf 1.0 For Windows 2000 ?

16 minutes ago, windows2 said:

Is it possible to use these codes to develop MTP and umdf 1.0 For Windows 2000 ?

You need extended Core , XP usb drivers and MTP Driver from google.

@win32 if Microsoft open source it, it will be a boon to reactos. I believe they should as it is hard to put genie back into bottle once it is out.

Edited by Dibya