Who's still using Win9x on the web besides me???

ZortMcGort11

https: //bgp.he.net/ is working for me on Opera 12.02. The RBL gives 0 out of 93 tests failed. Also working with CometBird FF9. Wyzo FF3.6 does not work sending message  "bgp.he.net requires javascript and cookies to function. Please enable these in your browser." FF3.6.28 does bring up the  https: //bgp.he.net/ page and details but does not perform an IP lookup.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:27 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

https: //bgp.he.net/ is working for me on Opera 12.02. The RBL gives 0 out of 93 tests failed. Also working with CometBird FF9. Wyzo FF3.6 does not work sending message  "bgp.he.net requires javascript and cookies to function. Please enable these in your browser." FF3.6.28 does bring up the  https: //bgp.he.net/ page and details but does not perform an IP lookup.

I just tried Opera 12.02 and got different results the first time - it can't connect to bgp.he.net because of security protocol.  I went in and enabled all protocals in opera and got the same error.  I then renamed my hosts file (so no hosts file) and restarted Opera and it worked, and I could get info on IP's without getting the javascript message.  I then restored my hosts file and restarted opera and it is still working so I don't know what's going on but I'm happy it's working again.

On 9/30/2020 at 6:36 AM, Gansangriff said:

When you use a Windows 98 to browse the web, you still have endless possibilities to explore! I'd say only the good and friendly programmed sites are working with it, not the big bloated ones. Every time the scroll bar at the right becomes just some pixels small (indicating, that the visited website is huge), I immediately press ESC and try to escape the site literally, before the poor old machine hangs up. Sounds inconvenient, but probably it's as inconvenient as driving a noisy oldtimer around the streets, letting you feel every bump of the roads (or the web so to speak).
Recently I had a voice chat over an open Teamspeak 2 server with a mate, who used a modern Windows 10 laptop! What a bridge between technology, gapping 20 years! If you know your old tools well since plenty of years, you're very powerful with old computers.

It look like here we have, how the user agent strings looked like in the past versions of Firefox:
http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php?name=Firefox

To change the user agent, type in "about:config" in the adress bar (without ""). There are all the settings hiding! Search for "agent" and you will find the place of the user agent.

May I ask how you were able to voice chat over Team Speak 2? Was the person using Windows 10 also using Team Speak?

On 11/18/2020 at 2:45 AM, Bracamonte said:

May I ask how you were able to voice chat over Team Speak 2? Was the person using Windows 10 also using Team Speak?

Excatly. Teamspeak 2 did run on the new machine, too. The quality of the voice in Teamspeak 2 is not as good as today's voice chat programs can do. But on the other hand you can select some ridiculously small audio codecs like Speex, which makes a low-bandwith chat possible.

• 1 month later...

I Wouldn't mind using Windows 98 for the web since a couple of members from MSFN made Firefox 35.0.1 Portable work. It can load pretty much everything you would need YouTube, Twitch, Pinterest, ect. But i dont think there's allot of supported hardware for windows 98 to use version 35 without it lagging or freezing. So it's mostly gonna be used on a VM, actually installed it on a 98 VM and used it, and i could install up to Firefox 48 on Windows 98 but it got really complicated and didn't really know how to install it but there is proof that it works. pqcdx49w83961.webp

9 hours ago, ApertureSketch said:

i dont think there's allot of supported hardware for windows 98 to use version 35 without it lagging or freezing

It generally depends on what are you going to use it for. Most websites won't put too much of a load on your system, but for JavaScript-heavy websites like Youtube you would really want at least a Pentium 4 and a Geforce 6 Series videocard (and a high-end one at that) to use them comfortably.

Really shows how horrifically bloated the web has become in general. Remember how everyone wanted Flash gone because of how much load it put on the system? I'm pretty sure nobody who hated it back then knew how bad things would really get.

7 hours ago, tyukok said:

It generally depends on what are you going to use it for. Most websites won't put too much of a load on your system, but for JavaScript-heavy websites like Youtube you would really want at least a Pentium 4 and a Geforce 6 Series videocard (and a high-end one at that) to use them comfortably.

Really shows how horrifically bloated the web has become in general. Remember how everyone wanted Flash gone because of how much load it put on the system? I'm pretty sure nobody who hated it back then knew how bad things would really get.

Exactly and it's pretty insane because Bill Gates once said and I quote "Nobody will ever need more than 640KB of memory for a Personal Computer"