Read GPT hard disk on Windows XP

Cixert

Update, the solution is in this comment and the following:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181911-read-gpt-hard-disk-on-windows-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1249360

Original post:
----------------
I have seen for a long time that it is possible install WindowsServer2003-KB919117 update on Windows xp to read GPT disks.
I have noted that disk.sys must be extracted to work in XP and I don't remember what this means.
Do you know information to read GPT disks in XP? I want to read a USB disk.

Edited by Cixert
Added link with solution

I have copied the disk.sys and partmgr.sys files from Windows 2003 to Windows XP.
But nothing new happens.
The disk appears in the disk manager as a protective GPT partition
I leave the attachments.
Caution, Spanish version, I don't know if they are the same as English version
Edit: They are the same in English as in Spanish

partmgr.sys disk.sys

Edited by Cixert
They are the same in English as in Spanish

Check that the files are actually in place, the system may have restored them during boot from the dllcache folder. Or the problem is that the USB drive, I only checked for SATA. The language of the files does not matter, they are all identical.

Edited by ED_Sln

On 9/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, Cixert said:

I have found another solution, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/gpt-drives-in-xp/1826b5ee-107d-4274-83c7-3a0e0b50a958 Paragon GPT loader for XP, I have not tried it yet.

i had the uptodate version, Paragon GPT Loader v10.5.0.95 i dont know if is right to add an attach here in the forum

Edited by WINUSERUntil2023

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, RainyShadow said:

When i did this i checked with USB drives and it worked fine.

Probably Windows restored the original files for you...

Indeed, Windows restored the files.
So I have overwritten:
\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ dllcache \ disk.sys
\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ drivers \ disk.sys
\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ dllcache \ partmgr.sys
\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ drivers \ partmgr.sys
At this moment Windows XP asks me for the CD to replace these unknown versions.
I have answered that I want to keep them.
When I have rebooted the system
WINDOWS XP DOES NOT START, THE SCREEN FREEZES !!!
These are the versions I have tried:
disk.sys => 5.2.3790.3959
partmgr.sys => 5.2.3790.3959
Which do you have? @RainyShadow

Edited by Cixert

11 hours ago, Cixert said:

Which do you have? @RainyShadow

Sorry, that XP system i used at work is long gone, so i can't check anymore. Our idiotic "network administrator" forced me to use a half-assed desktop with a fricken Win10 instead of fixing their configuration mistakes and blaming us for them...

I believe it was the ones from the file linked here - https://msfn.org/board/topic/181691-6tb-hdd-for-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1184414 

On 9/24/2020 at 4:30 PM, Cixert said:

I have copied the disk.sys and partmgr.sys files from Windows 2003 to Windows XP.
But nothing new happens.
The disk appears in the disk manager as a protective GPT partition
I leave the attachments.
Caution, Spanish version, I don't know if they are the same as English version

partmgr.sys 24.5 kB · 4 downloads disk.sys 39 kB · 5 downloads

Finally it has worked so much v. 5.2.3790.3959 (w2003 SP2) as v. 5.2.3790.1830 (w2003 SP1) Both files have = number of bytes, only version number changes.
The files to download that I have put in the previous comment are valid for all languages (at least they work with XP English & XP Spanish).
You copy original files to another folder before replacing them
The issues that may appear before they work are:
-By pasting disk.sys & partmgr.sys in
\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ dllcache
\ WINDOWS \ system32 \ drivers
the original versions of Windows XP are fully or partially restored.
To solve them, you have to paste both files very very quickly in both folders and then update the view of the folder, checking that version 5.2 has been fixed
-The ideal is to paste the files on the hard drive from another operating system.
-Check that there are no older versions in other directories such as \ Windows \ LastGoods
-The first time Windows XP starts with the new files it takes several minutes. Be patient and wait.

How can I make a KB updater to update these files with an installer for Windows XP? No need to paste files...
I have a service pack 4 for Windows XP in Spanish and I would like to include them.

Edited by Cixert

On 9/27/2020 at 3:50 AM, WINUSERUntil2023 said:

i had the uptodate version, Paragon GPT Loader v10.5.0.95 i dont know if is right to add an attach here in the forum

I've been looking at the matter thoroughly and from what it seems the latest Paragon GPT Loader driver that exists officially is 8.0.1.0 and contains many bugs.
Yes, there is Paragon GPT Loader 10.5.0.95 but it is just a program that contains the 8.0.1.0 driver (long live the confusion, long live the marketing).
There is also Paragon HFS for Win to read drives with MAC format and it also contains the GPT 8.0.1.0 driver
In addition to the official version there is a fork that corrects the bugs. The current fork version is 8.0.1.2
On their website they do not give the full version 8.0.1.2 (although it exists on other websites). They only give legally the patches to correct the official version
http://hardwarefetish.com/777-paragon-gpt-loader-3
(on this website there are only patches for 8.0.1.0, there is no full version)

Edited by Cixert

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So I copied disk.sys and partmgr.sys 5.2.3790.3959 to an XP 32 machine, the original MS disk.sys and partmgr.sys was 5.1.2600.5512. Instead of Disk Management MMC saying "MBR GPT protected", I now see all 16TB of this Seagate HD. The 16 TB drive was formatted to empty from a Win10 box with NTFS on eSATA. SMART says  zero reallocated sectors. But, out of curiosity I ran XP 32 "chkdsk E: /r" on the 16 TB NTFS partition. I really want to be sure all 16 TB is addressable, and not magically loose data left and right months later. I am using a ICH9R southbridge Core 2 mobo.

XP32 Chkdsk, is a disaster.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>chkdsk E: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Adding -536871425 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

15259644 MB total disk space.
     35932 KB in 8 files.
        72 KB in 14 indexes.
  14680061 MB in bad sectors.
    543067 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 592913924 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
3906469119 total allocation units on disk.
 148228481 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Now I have 0 files on drive, and only ~550 GB free disk space. XP 32 chkdsk really did add 15.5 TB of bad clusters. Ironically the Intel Matrix Raid BIOS config screen says its a ~550 GB drive but I dont have the drive in a RAID config, this 16TB drive never will boot drive. Just extra NAS basically and the tower case has alot of room and is on 24/7. Has anyone else ever run XP 32 chkdsk on a > 2TB GPT drive before?

Is chkdsk logic inside NTFS or some other driver? Are there more files to copy from Server 2003 32? Feels like a disaster to leave this GPT drive forever in an XP 32 box if user error, or my error running chkdsk wipes the data. I'll reboot into my Win10 rescue stick and format this drive again and run chkdsk from Win10. Reports are fuzzy online if ICH9 chipset or the Win32 Intel drivers for ICH9 handle > 2TB at all on any OS.