How do I use nvidia graphics (680M) instead of intel

Duck42069

Intel HD is responsible for the graphics output. It is directly connected to the internal display and it can't be disabled.

On modern operating systems, when a 3D application is detected, the driver enables the discrete GPU and renders only that specific window (or fullscreen) application. The intel HD is still rendering the rest of the screen.

XP doesn't support switchable graphics so this will never work. You can only disable the intel HD graphics on a laptop after doing several hardware modifications or if you have a "gaming" laptop that has that feature. (some laptops have a "gaming mode" or "performance mode" that, when enabled, bypasses the intel HD graphics at hardware level).

What happens when you click on the other monitor numbers like number 2 in the photo. It should say from my recall the monitor on the graphics card to which it is connected. Choose one which is connected to the graphics card you want to use. You can make this the default monitor and then the OS will use/switch to this monitor graphics card combination at runtime. You could then disable the Intel graphics in device monitor if you want or if necessary.

Did you try this driver https://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.20.4.14/GeForce_Experience_v3.20.4.14.exe I chose the game ready driver and also 32 bit XP OS.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

You said it can be disabled in Device Manager and the screen goes black though; is that correct? If so that is what I am talking about when disabling although I meant to say device manager. If you choose the monitor that the nVidia card is on as the default monitor then the screen will be black until the operating system has loaded explorer. This is not a hot swap switching idea it is Microsoft using the other graphics card as the default but it may be different for a laptop. Can you try an external monitor and see what happens?

Edited by Goodmaneuver