VMware Workstation 16 on Win7

Alpis

• 9 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 9:06 PM, Illen said:

Hi, if anyone is interested, I got VMware Player 16.0 "official" release working on Windows 7.

Download: http://69.112.236.57/nextcloud/index.php/s/RWKwBkLoFPdWz93

This is still largely untested, especially the VMware installer is flaky, but VMware itself works very well on my main Win7.
You're supposed to reboot right after the installation and then put contents of vmware16_win7 folder in VMware\VMware Player\x64.

The video:

Edit: Added the VMware Workstation installer. If license key registration fails, try to install VMware Workstation 15.x first, and then directly upgrade to 16.

It seems this site was down.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bruno16757 said:

anyone got updated patch??? 

Uploaded here: https://mega.nz/folder/5LoC1ToZ#n7PLcTJAxsMX4cOpZYanww

On 11/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, alzcore397 said:

in the 16.2.0 says that directx11.1 is not supoorted on this host.any way to fix that?

Capture0.PNG

I disabled that confusing warning in latest version. Add mks.enableISBRenderer = "FALSE" in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\settings.ini.
This will disable the GPU sandbox which is currently broken in older Windows versions.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TylerTT said:

Every time I try and launch it after installing I just get this

YQ85xaD.png

Are you logged in to a administrator account? Or a normal account? Logging in as a administrator could fix it. Sometimes VMware even on 11 dosen't accept the administator rights i give it.

Edited by Nerdulater

On 5/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, TylerTT said:

Every time I try and launch it after installing I just get this

YQ85xaD.png

Install VMware 15.x and then update to VMware 16.x.

• 4 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, Illen said:

Install VMware 15.x and then update to VMware 16.x.

Or you can always copy vmware-vmx located in vmware16.1_win7-21-11-2020.7z

into C:\Program Files(x86)\Vmware\Vmware Workstation\x64 folder and then it will register fine

22 hours ago, TylerTT said:

doesn't seem to fix it @veso266

Capture.PNG dSuSY2P.png

realy, it fixed it for me (although I was using a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

what happens if you manualy invoke it and try to enter serial manualy (of course you run cmd.exe as Administrator)

or even better, activate the built in admin account (net users Administrator /active:yes) and try to do this magic from there

For 32 Bit OS:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe --new-sn XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

For 64 Bit OS:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe --new-sn XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you get UnregisterSuspendResumeNotification not found on user32.dll or something along this lines then you probably did not copy it in the right folder

How I understand this is that, if vmware-vmx.exe did not launch or returns exit error code then vmware.exe thinks you do not have admin permisions (because vmware-vmx.exe probably tries to write some file somewhere and if it does not have permissions for that it cant so it exits with some error code)

in your case (probably, if its not something else) UnregisterSuspendResumeNotification is not uvailable in windows 7 and vmware-vmx.exe needs this function present for some things, if it does not find it it exits)

if even that does not fix it, then maybe try upgrading from 15 (if serial file is preserved during upgrade, then you should be fine), I sadly do not know where does vmware-vmx.exe store serial info so I don't know how to do its job manualy

2 hours ago, veso266 said:

realy, it fixed it for me (although I was using a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

what happens if you manualy invoke it and try to enter serial manualy (of course you run cmd.exe as Administrator)

or even better, activate the built in admin account (net users Administrator /active:yes) and try to do this magic from there

For 32 Bit OS:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe --new-sn XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

For 64 Bit OS:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe --new-sn XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you get UnregisterSuspendResumeNotification not found on user32.dll or something along this lines then you probably did not copy it in the right folder

How I understand this is that, if vmware-vmx.exe did not launch or returns exit error code then vmware.exe thinks you do not have admin permisions (because vmware-vmx.exe probably tries to write some file somewhere and if it does not have permissions for that it cant so it exits with some error code)

in your case (probably, if its not something else) UnregisterSuspendResumeNotification is not uvailable in windows 7 and vmware-vmx.exe needs this function present for some things, if it does not find it it exits)

if even that does not fix it, then maybe try upgrading from 15 (if serial file is preserved during upgrade, then you should be fine), I sadly do not know where does vmware-vmx.exe store serial info so I don't know how to do its job manualy

image.png.acd2e01eaadf4390d55cc38e184af4e9.pngActivating it using CMD worked.

Thank you very much.

• 2 months later...

Installed WorkstationPro version 15.1.0 and upgraded to 15.5.7 and finally to 16.2.4 on Windows 7 Pro 64.  The installation process for 16.2.4 seems to require Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64.msu as a pre-requisite. After upgrading to 16.2.4 I am not able to launch any of my previously working virtual machines. I have attached screenshots of the two error messages. I would be grateful for any comments. One of the error messages was discussed in a recent post by veso266 but I never tried to copy any files as suggested. I am referring to the comments by veso266 as follows: "If you get UnregisterSuspendResumeNotification not found on user32.dll or something along this lines then you probably did not copy it in the right folder" and "copy vmware-vmx located in vmware16.1_win7-21-11-2020.7z into C:\Program Files(x86)\Vmware\Vmware Workstation\x64 folder". After the first two screenshots, I copied both files from the previously cited "vmware16.1_win7-21-11-2020.7z" to the location as suggested and I began to get different errors when a virtual machine is launched. The new errors started by identifying a problem with SSLEAY32.dll, which is part of OpenSSL (if I am not mistaken). I replaced SSLEAY32.dll with a newer version that might be from Windows 10. A different error message was produced the next time I tried to launch a virtual machine, which identified a problem with libcrypto-x64.dll. I tried to locate and supply the missing .dll files one by one, relaunching the virtual machine and noting each new error message which identified a missing .dll file. After a while the messages changed to a more serious error when I supplied the missing libeay32.dll (screenshot not taken). I hope that somebody can provide a better solution than what I have found so far. At this point I changed my strategy, and applied some common sense. After a complete uninstall of WorkstationPro and the manual removal of various .dll files which I had supplied myself, I installed version 15.1.0 and then 16.1 making sure to match the date of the archive file mentioned by veso266 above with the date of the WorkstationPro installer file, so there is an agreement about the date "21-11-2020". Before permitting the installer to initiate a system restart I copied the two files into the target folder as instructed by veso266 above. I felt very grateful when a virtual machine successfully launched, and I sincerely thank the people who have made such extraordinary results possible. Then I noticed that I still had not restarted the system even though I had hastily launched a virtual machine as a test. Let's hope the good results persist after a system restart, lol.

1221222a_err_01.jpg

1221222a_err_02.jpg

Edited by virtuallyRegistered
update