cabmaker 1.4 and custom directx 9.0c errors

cov3rt

I wanted to make a custom directx 9.0c package for windows 2000 using cabmaker 1.4, but after replacing the cabs and testing it to see if it would launch / run properly on windows 7, it gave the error "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid". i was wondering what's going on and why i'm getting this error. i noticed that the original package was about 51.9 MB in winrar zipped ( which i already had deleted some stuff ), but it had worked as the 2nd modded type, but when doing the 3rd modification with new cabinet files, it doesn't launch / run properly anymore. the new size of the package is 43.2 MB zipped winrar. 

Come on :) do you really think that the (approximate) sizes of the archives can affect the behaviour? (that is the only data you provided).

There are possibly a zillion commands/parameters/settings in cabmaker or Winrar (which version BTW?) that may (or may not) be connected to the error.

Check this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other/a-cabinet-file-necessary-for-installation-cannot/9b007762-f6be-4837-928d-59a98378e465

it is possible that it is simply a leftover from a previous attempt. 

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

i am using winrar 3.92 32 bit version on windows 7 64 bit. don't ask why i'm using the 32 bit / older version of winrar, it was for a specific reason that i forgot about. i mentioned the size differences of the packages because it seems that microsoft used a different version of cabmaker or cabinet creater tool, and the size i freed which really was minimal, i only deleted some text basically, so i actually did a whole lot for what should have been only a very slight size decrease, but it ended up being about 8.7 MB less space, because either the software used, compress the files more and / or cabmaker 1.4 might have deleted stuff it shouldn't have, but i don't think the latter is the case, or would it? 

other info for cabmaker 1.4 settings was LZX for the compressiontype, and 21 for the compressionmemory.

The quick test to do is:

1) unpack the original stuff
2) re-pack it using whatever program, method and settings you believe you should be using WITHOUT modifying it

is running/installing the result exactly the same as the original?

If yes, the methods/tools/settings are fine otherwise they aren't.

Do review the thread I posted a link to, that same error seems to come out even with the original package in certain conditions and once it happened it will re-happen over and over unless you clean/delete a number of files.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

so i re-packed everything again without modifying them and still gave the same error. i followed the instructions on registering files / showing hidden folders and files, etc, but none was relevant or fixed the problem ( there were was no directx folder / dxwebsetup file). also, the following commands were not able to be registered - regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll regsvr32 /u initpki.dll regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll. i went and tested it on a windows 10 64 bit system and it mentioned the same error. 

Edited by cov3rt

What do you mean about commands were not able to be registered? :unsure:

regsvr32 /u is the command to unregister .dll's.

Check the status of those .dll's with the nifty Nirsoft tool:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/registered_dll_view.html

According to the given thread those .dll's need to be unregistered and - after a reboot - re-registered.

jaclaz

On 9/12/2020 at 1:00 AM, jaclaz said:

What do you mean about commands were not able to be registered? :unsure:

regsvr32 /u is the command to unregister .dll's.

Check the status of those .dll's with the nifty Nirsoft tool:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/registered_dll_view.html

According to the given thread those .dll's need to be unregistered and - after a reboot - re-registered.

jaclaz

ya, i realized i did something wrong when my main windows 7 system wasn't working properly, it was because it missed the steps on registering the files, after doing so, it fixed the system. as for the custom directx 9.0c specifically, it didn't change the error, and i also had tested it on windows 2000, and same error, so i just went and tested the old modded version ( deleted x64 folders ) and it worked fine. i had to remove some optional components from the archive to make up for the extra space of the 2nd modded dx9 package, but all has been cleared.