Windows 10 v1809 & KB4571748 Update breaks AeroGlass

emkay85

Hello all,

As the title eludes to, a very recent update for Windows 10 build 1809 (KB4571748)  breaks support for AeroGlass v1.5.13 (with a 0x2000 error related to hooking into the DMW). Just wanted to let you guys know and find out if anyone else has experienced this.

Are there any potential workarounds?

Cheers!

agerror.jpg

22 hours ago, emkay85 said:

What do you mean? :)

It's been a regular occurrence that someone new registers on the forum and asks questions about Aero Glass that have already been answered multiple times in old topics.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

It's been a regular occurrence that someone new registers on the forum and asks questions about Aero Glass that have already been answered multiple times in old topics.

@mikedigitize @UCyborgMy intention was certainly not to encumber anyone as it wasn't clear, at least to me, where the answer was. However, after sifting through a few posts more thoroughly, I believe I've identified the issue.

It seems that AeroGlass is missing the symbols associated with the most recent update. However, when trying to use PDB Downloader to download the symbols for dwmcore.dll and uDWM.dll, the log indicates that it's unable to connect to the remote server. Assuming that PDB Downloader refers to the same MS server that AeroGlass does, it could explain why AeroGlass didn't automatically download the new symbols.

Edited by emkay85

Alrighty, I managed to solve the issue. I can confirm that the symbols for the dwmcore.dll, updated with the recent KB4571748 update, weren't being downloaded. However, this has to do with an issue on my system where it can't access the server. When testing PDB Downloader on another machine, I was successful in downloading the symbols.

Cheers guys.

Edited by emkay85

• 1 month later...

It's possible that an update would come and break Aero Glass in a way that just updating symbols wouldn't help and the utility would have to be updated to compensate. I noticed KB4571748 from August 2020 is still the last update for Win10 1809 that changes DWM files. Aero Glass was broken in Win10 1909 with an update that arrived several months earlier.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:50 PM, UCyborg said:

It's possible that an update would come and break Aero Glass in a way that just updating symbols wouldn't help and the utility would have to be updated to compensate. I noticed KB4571748 from August 2020 is still the last update for Win10 1809 that changes DWM files. Aero Glass was broken in Win10 1909 with an update that arrived several months earlier.

Indeed, the September and October cumulative updates didn't affect the DWM files. Fingers crossed that further updates don't break Aero Glass. Man....if only Microsoft left us the choice to run Aero/Fluent transparency in-built instead of forcing users to rely on 3rd party solutions.