Make work Display

arepakiller

Just now, RainyShadow said:

None of the official drivers i have contains DEV_0244. The only driver i found with this ID is the modified one you already have...

There is also this site, but i found only drivers for Win2k/XP/Vista+. The XP driver there has your ID.

What is the exact model of that notebook? It should be on the sticker at the bottom.

The model is DV9008nr

25 minutes ago, arepakiller said:

The model is DV9008nr

http://hpnotebookdrivers.com/model/hp-pavilion-dv9008nr-notebook-pc-drivers/

No Win9x drivers though...

[edit]

Do you have GPU-Z around? Could you run it and check the GPU codename shown there, is it C51 ?

Edited by RainyShadow

12 minutes ago, arepakiller said:

Any extra ideas?

17 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Do you have GPU-Z around? Could you run it and check the GPU codename shown there, is it C51 ?

The problem seems to be that the GPU uses system RAM (UMA tech) instead of its own dedicated VRAM (as i guessed earlier - VRAM issue:P)

The modded driver probably doesn't consider this and try to drive it as a normal card with dedicated VRAM.

The only other similar GPU i found is the 7150m. If you find a Win9x driver for it, that may work for yours as well.

It may be a simple registry setting, but i couldn't locate it yet.

Those modded drivers apply the same settings for almost all cards, so i suspect the 7150m will fail there too.

4 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

The problem seems to be that the GPU uses system RAM (UMA tech) instead of its own dedicated VRAM (as i guessed earlier - VRAM issue:P)

The modded driver probably doesn't consider this and try to drive it as a normal card with dedicated VRAM.

The only other similar GPU i found is the 7150m. If you find a Win9x driver for it, that may work for yours as well.

It may be a simple registry setting, but i couldn't locate it yet.

Those modded drivers apply the same settings for almost all cards, so i suspect the 7150m will fail there too.

Thanks, do you think if I use only 512MB of RAM and make a clear install of W98, without the PATCHMEM from Rloew, will I be able to use it? I got a bunch of drivers to look for, will start and write back when I have some answers.

38 minutes ago, arepakiller said:

Thanks, do you think if I use only 512MB of RAM and make a clear install of W98, without the PATCHMEM from Rloew, will I be able to use it?

The issue is not with the amount of system RAM, but with the way the driver configures the GPU.

No need to do a new install of Win98 - if you run PATCHMEM again, it should offer you to uninstall the patch.

1 hour ago, arepakiller said:

So in simple terms am I screwed?

Well... mostly.

Try looking for any NVidia Win9x driver with support for a GPU that uses shared memory (they call it UMA).

You can also try to copy the driver settings in registry from XP and see if it changes anything.

50 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Well... mostly.

Try looking for any NVidia Win9x driver with support for a GPU that uses shared memory (they call it UMA).

You can also try to copy the driver settings in registry from XP and see if it changes anything.

Once I find a driver with the UMA share memory setting what do I do then?

Do you mean get the registry from regeddit in  XP and apply it to W98?

I've saw in a driver for 9x some GeForce Go 7000 series should I start by those?

11 hours ago, arepakiller said:

Once I find a driver with the UMA share memory setting what do I do then?

Use it. Add your device ID if it isn't in the .inf file.

Do you mean get the registry from regeddit in  XP and apply it to W98?

Use regedit in XP, find the key with the NVidia settings and export it to a .reg file.

Use regedit in 98, find the key with the NVidia settings and export it to a .reg file. Make a copy of that file.

Open the two files in a text editor, copy the contents of the XP file (without the header) and paste it over the contents of the 98 file (without the header). Save the 98 file, then import it into the 98 registry.

I've saw in a driver for 9x some GeForce Go 7000 series should I start by those?

Does it support 7150m?

P.S. still no answer from you about this...

On 9/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, RainyShadow said:

Do you have GPU-Z? Could you run it and check the GPU codename shown there?

Some (most) NVidia GPU chips were used in both the "consumer" GeForce series and the "professional" Quadro series. There may be a Quadro driver for your chip somewhere...

6 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Does it support 7150m?

I Think it was GeForge Go 7000, the Go term could be taken as 7000m for example, it was the mobile version.

6 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Some (most) NVidia GPU chips were used in both the "consumer" GeForce series and the "professional" Quadro series. There may be a Quadro driver for your chip somewhere...

Ok, I will look that up. and use GPU-Z to see that. Thanks.

@LoneCrusader I will try this over the week. Do you know the last generation of mobile graphics cards supported by Windows 98 or ME either by Nvidia or any other maker of the time? I will research quite a bit which laptops had it and if I can find them over my country. There is a good chance to find here old hardware at a bargain.  I love this DV9000 Laptop but can't find the drivers for it, works good except for the graphics card, was never supported by Pre-NT for I actually looked for, and the good shot was the modified drivers. I got all the NVidia Registry files I could get from 98, and also from XP but unsure what I'm looking for exactly. 

I will send in a bit the name of the files so I can a bit of hep, don't much about editing registries.

I've not had any direct experience with mobile nVidia cards...
I bought a laptop some time ago that has one but I've not been able to find the time to do any experimenting with it;
I had plans to try and use it with Windows 9x, but it has HD Audio, and rloew and I never managed to get HDAudio working under 9x.

So, the only experience I have with mobile video cards and 9x comes from my HP ZD8000 (ATI Mobility Radeon X600) experiments.

I do know that some 7xxx series desktop cards were supported by the last "official" 9x release, (81.98 I believe), but not (IIRC) the higher-end 78xx/79xx cards. These cards do work when using the last released "beta" driver, which is 82.69, and which I believe you have tried. (Note, not all of the cards included in the unofficial 82.69 INF, including but not limited to any 8xxx/9xxx series cards, do NOT work with this driver.)

The only other thing I can add to this discussion that may be relevant is that the "actual memory size" and "reported memory size" of any VRAM must match under 9x, or problems will occur. rloew and I did extensive testing in relation to this in order to find out why some people reported success with 512MB cards, and why some did not. Hence the NVSIZE patch...

For example; newer cards with large amounts of RAM may report 256MB of RAM to Reserved Memory/MMIO to minimize the >3GB memory "reduction" to x86 systems and use a "memory banking" method to access all VRAM (reserved resources are doubled, so a 512MB card that reports 512MB of RAM will automatically cause 1GB of RAM to disappear from an x86 system with 4GB of RAM, so you're already down to 3GB reported to the OS). However, the 9x driver does not know how to handle this memory banking, and expects the reported VRAM to match the actual VRAM. Cards that report 256MB when actually using more will cause crashes...

TL;DR;
I had a 512MB 7200GS card that reported 512MB. It didn't crash under 9x with the 82.69 driver.
I had a 512MB 7950GT card that reported 256MB and used banking. It caused crashes. Patching the card BIOS to report 512MB corrected the problem.

I hope I've explained this well enough; it's been some time since I worked with these issues, and sometimes I struggle to remember the exact terminology rloew used in context...

So, to make use of this... you need to figure out how much VRAM is reported under XP, and how much system RAM is reported on the Control Panel/System tab. Then we must figure out if the correct total VRAM size is being reported by the card BIOS.

Since actual system memory is being used, and not dedicated VRAM, I don't know if this can be fixed or not... :unsure: