Banking apps and their root checking bul*****

UCyborg

A really weird example, not looking like caused by copy-paste.
Here formatting starts in middle of "I'm"

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/?do=findComment&comment=1192922
Yes , I«span style="background-color:rgb(247,247,247);font-size:1.3rem;"»'m trying to help win32«/span»«span style="background-color:rgb(247,247,247);font-size:1.3rem;"» too , why would you think otherwise ?

It may be debatable whether formatting of copied text should be embedded or not, but if such tags are already embedded, browsers should SHOW them.
That means there's rather some prob with your modern browsers, ignoring existing tags? (independant from embedding them in the first place)
Unfortunately that means you can't even notice when posting unintentionally garbled font formatting.

And little mystery #6, but unrelated:
"3 hours ago, siria said:"
Inserted by forum when quoting a post from just 13min earlier - crazy...

Yep, still it is strange that only posts by  two people only show (sometimes) this way, I mean, there must be another huge number of users that use either the exact same Chrome 88 or the same exact recent Firefox as D.Draker (but I didn't notice anyone else's posts with this behaviour :unsure:), and while the actual rendering may be off on my old browser it is on "your side" that the "span" that Wunderbar98 and siria noticed is inserted.

jaclaz

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I mean, there must be another huge number of users ...

Exactly , a "huge number of users" and yet you're the only who has glitches with your browser . OMG , I inserted that post with tags because I was too lazy to type . What do I have to do so you would forgive me ? If you want to discuss formatting , please create a new topic , I will gladly join . It's not polite to go off-topic and it's against the rules , besides densorso already told you that everything is ok.

6 hours ago, siria said:

A really weird example, not looking like caused by copy-paste.
Here formatting starts in middle of "I'm"

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/?do=findComment&comment=1192922
Yes , I«span style="background-color:rgb(247,247,247);font-size:1.3rem;"»'m trying to help win32«/span»«span style="background-color:rgb(247,247,247);font-size:1.3rem;"» too , why would you think otherwise ?

It may be debatable whether formatting of copied text should be embedded or not, but if such tags are already embedded, browsers should SHOW them.
That means there's rather some prob with your modern browsers, ignoring existing tags? (independant from embedding them in the first place)
Unfortunately that means you can't even notice when posting unintentionally garbled font formatting.

And little mystery #6, but unrelated:
"3 hours ago, siria said:"
Inserted by forum when quoting a post from just 13min earlier - crazy...

I don't see anything like that at all. This shot was made with the ancient Chrome 49 for XP lovers. Everything is the same with the other users . Take a look at the comment from user Tonny52 (below). All the same.

Edited by D.Draker
added picture

D.Draker said:
I don't see anything like that at all. This shot was made with the ancient Chrome 49 for XP lovers.

Sorry wrong part, that's just the json data meant for search engines etc.
Scroll further down to see the real html part which is shown to human readers.

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Exactly , a "huge number of users" and yet you're the only who has glitches with your browser . OMG , I inserted that post with tags because I was too lazy to type . What do I have to do so you would forgive me ? If you want to discuss formatting , please create a new topic , I will gladly join . It's not polite to go off-topic and it's against the rules , besides densorso already told you that everything is ok.

You have done nothing to be forgiven for :), a glitch is a glitch :yes:, but trying to understand what is causing it might still be interesting, the fact that I only experience the glitch on posts by two people should mean that these two people's browsers, or the stupid board software adds. only in combination with these two people's browsers, for *some reasons*, *something* that causes the glitch.

You'll have to concur that it is an "odd" kind of glitch. 

But please, do not play moderator with me, rest assured I (usually) know what is polite and (definitely) what is against the rules, a moderator will be able - if considered needed - to move our off-topic posts to a new thread, and I know what dencorso said, thank you.

jaclaz

On 12/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, jaclaz said:

You have done nothing to be forgiven for :), a glitch is a glitch :yes:, but trying to understand what is causing it might still be interesting, the fact that I only experience the glitch on posts by two people should mean that these two people's browsers, or the stupid board software adds. only in combination with these two people's browsers, for *some reasons*, *something* that causes the glitch.

You'll have to concur that it is an "odd" kind of glitch. 

But please, do not play moderator with me, rest assured I (usually) know what is polite and (definitely) what is against the rules, a moderator will be able - if considered needed - to move our off-topic posts to a new thread, and I know what dencorso said, thank you.

jaclaz

Hi , Merry Christmas and best wishes to everyone who celebrates it !

Dear jacaz ! Have I just felt something that looks like patronizing ? Well , I'll ignore it due to the holidays. I'm terribly sorry to say , I'm not interested in that old browser and it's behaviour , besides you can see [by those several screenshots] made by me and other members , even on Chrome 49 there are no errors, and it supports XP , as you may know. No one's keeping you from trying to understand . Though , I don't have to concur to anything , well , maybe only to that it is happenning to you only. Whatcha tryin' to say by "play" , I don't understand .  Some passages from your reply sound odd to me, but let's not discuss it any further , k ? I don't know what you "know" , but I will decide for myself what to count as polite or not , thank you . And let's just stop right here and not drag this nonsense into the New Year , best wishes  in advance , cause I'll be out for holidays.

To stir things back to the topic , I'd like to ask the original poster @UCyborg , have your ever tried popular emulators , such as bluestacks ? Or maybe runnning android in VM ?  I'm sorry If I missed that part .

I solved the original problem, after removing as much root access traces as possible, it turned out SELinux being in permissive mode rather than enforcing mode was causing problems. I can't keep it in enforcing mode permanently because my OS doesn't have it configured properly. Temporarily putting it in enforcing mode solved the app activation problem.

At a later point, another problem showed up, unable to authenticate with the app to access the bank site the normay way, though I can use emergency one-time password generated in the app to get in, but that's not sufficient, eg. if you perform some action on the bank site that requires to be authorized on the mobile app, it wouldn't work. Cause unknown, but apparently there are other users who have the same problem.

BlueStacks and other solutions for running Android on PCs have the problem that they don't pass SafetyNet checks, so they're useless for these types of apps.

On 12/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, UCyborg said:

BlueStacks and other solutions for running Android on PCs have the problem that they don't pass SafetyNet checks, so they're useless for these types of apps.

Several years ago , 2016-2018 I think , I heard stories about people successfully installing Magisc and running it with Nox . Have you tried that too ? Well , maybe it would be wise to write a launcher with proper device fingerprinting and faking this app for an ordinary browser ? This app should have a specific user agent, I think you know what I mean. The main important thing would be creating a true fingerprint of some common device .

Perhaps this will help.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mod-magisk-v12-0-for-android-x86-7-1-rc2.3699183/

Edited by Dixel
added link

I got Magisk going on an Android x86 installed on bare hardware a while ago, also removed as much SuperSU traces as possible by removing relevant files from system image. Couldn't get the green SafetyNet status, not even the basic integrity passed. Tried Android versions were 7.1.2 (cm14 flavor aka. LineageOS), so the same thing I've got on my phone and the BlissOS 11.11 (fork of Android x86 version 9.0).

I just got that HID Approve app on Windows 10 activated and have the exact same problem as with bank's app, just the error is worded differently. So they must have their records of my user profile messed up or whatever, so the issue is to be looked up on THEIR side, not mine.

• 7 months later...

Half year later and my bank improved in some ways. They replaced debit cards with something more useful (Maestro->MasterCard). Taking credit MasterCard yearly subscription out of the equation, which was the only way to have MasterCard before, even if you didn't care about the fact that it's credit card, I wouldn't save with account management costs neither by switching to the bank I've been checking out half year ago.

Anyway, back in January, I wrote them again, they reset something on their end and since then didn't have problems authenticating with HID Approve on Windows 10.

To have a backup way to auth, I tried setting up HID Approve on Android, but couldn't activate it. So I ended up re-activating the bank's regular app.

This...

On 10/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, UCyborg said:

I wanted to make use of the ability to scan the QR code on the bill for quick payment. While it went through, the app hung when returning to its main screen and couldn't do anything but force-close it.

Now here's the fun part, its data got corrupted in the process. When trying to login, it gave useless "No services found on this device" message. Restoring all of its data got it back into a working state (at least until it bugs again if you try to do the above). But here's another catch, it uses Android Keystore, so restoring its data folder is not enough, there are also files in /data/misc/keystore.

...is not a problem anymore, so at least it's a bit more useful than just authenticator for web UI.