Facebook Videos and Firefox 52.9 ESR

Dave-H

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Your Flash plugin is rather out of date BTW, the current one is 32.0.0.433.

He obviously prefers the last version that does not contain a time bomb. For your purposes, Silverlight might be more significant. Edit: But probably not, since DRM support is “No.”

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Just to say that the Facebook videos are now playing automatically with the Safari user agent string!
Why they weren't before I have no idea, perhaps some cookies needed to be updated or something.
Really glad that it's all working fine now, and even the menu option to switch to the new layout has vanished!
This will only be a temporary reprieve I'm sure, but great to have put off the evil hour for a while longer.
:thumbup

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

He obviously prefers the last version that does not contain a time bomb. For your purposes, Silverlight might be more significant. Edit: But probably not, since DRM support is “No.”

Actually, I think I need to rollback to an even older version. Like before July 2019 if mem serves me correct.

Just as a heads up, the saintly individual behind Facebook Purity has now produced an extension which will revert Facebook to the old design.
https://revertsite.com/
It works a treat, on my old and new versions of Firefox anyway!
It tells Facebook that it's an old browser which doesn't support the new layout, which is probably pretty much the same as using the Mac/Safari user agent string did.
Of course it will only work while the code for the old layout is still actually available to use, which won't be forever, but it should buy a bit more time.
:yes:

Yes, I'm seeing the same thing on my installation of Google Chrome 49.
:dubbio:
I'll message the author and see what he says.
It appears as if the necessary file is missing, but it could still be a compatibility issue I suppose.
:)

@UCyborg

I've just tried your re-package on my installation of Chrome 49 and it works perfectly.
:yes:
However, the author of the extension has asked that you now take the file down.
This was his response on Facebook when I made him aware of the original problem, and that it had been solved -
"Thanks for that, interesting info, I did not know about that. technically I don't approve as it's unauthorised distribution, and outside of my control, I wouldn't want unauthorised people making unauthorised copies of my software and then introducing malware, which has happened in the past for example, so I prefer to keep the code "in house" so to speak.
The other issue is it won't receive any updates, I update my extensions quite frequently with fixes and improvements. TBH I would prefer it if he took that file down. Tell him thanks for the info though."

Figured it might come to that, I noticed the comment about unauthorized distribution in one of the files shortly after I uploaded it. It doesn't look like much more than an user agent spoofer for facebook.com. Let's see what happens when they go YouTube route...