Get XP application to work on Windows 7+

I was wondering if someone with programming skills could help me to get an application to work on Windows 7 and newer.

The problem with the application is that it crashes whenever you try to open or save a file (using the open/save dialog). It's a problem that also occurs with newer versions of this application and the fix seems to be to edit a file named CommonVcPh.dll and redirect comdlg32.dll to the XP version of this file (which you then copy to the folder the application resides in). I've tried that with the older version of this application but it still crashes whenever it's supposed to open the open/save dialog.

https://workupload.com/file/Zn4cMQ27R65

P.S: DEP needs to be disabled to run the application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

None of the compatibility settings changes this?

Edit: Now that I see what this program does, have you thought about changing to something more modern/more supported, like Audacity?

Edited by Glenn9999
Program suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 7:42 AM, Glenn9999 said:

None of the compatibility settings changes this?

Edit: Now that I see what this program does, have you thought about changing to something more modern/more supported, like Audacity?

No, I wouldn't ask for help here if compatibility settings would fix the problem.

And yes, it's quite old but I kinda like it and I hoped that maybe someone would want to give it a try to fix the problem. Just out of curiosity or whatever...

• 3 months later...

I don't know if that's too much to ask but can someone build me a XP-compatible comdlg32.dll file that is self-contained, i.e. it doesn't depend on any other system files but has everything included that is needed to save or open files?
If that is even possible?

The reason why I ask is that I found out that my problem (see comments above) can be (almost) solved by redirecting to a comdlg32.dll file that comes with ReactOS (the Windows clone that will never be finished) and it seems to work ok except for the fact that the listbox is missing (the part of the open/save dialog box where you can navigate through folders or click on files etc.)

I think that's due to the fact that ReactOS isn't Windows and so it can't retrieve the file list or something

Not feasible. Try older ROS versions.

I've already tried that.

Didn't change anything.

What I also did is that I changed the function it calls from GetOpenFileNameA to GetOpenFileNameW

As I've learned, the w-version of that function uses unicode.

When I change the function the open/save dialogs do pop up (even without redirecting anything) but the file extensions seem to be in japanese and no file can be opened or saved, probably due to an incompatibility with Unicode (the application is old and so there is no unicode stuff)

However, I was wondering if there is a kind of replacement function that I can used instead that doesn't need unicode?

Edited by NoNameNeeded

aaah i missed important stuff in 1st post
maybe you are to try with even older control version

try winME or NT 4

i see it uses visual cpp 6 version, these have problems when encountering vista and above
and were meant for win9x mostly

or maybe just stiff in same folder win2k commoncontrols

Edited by vinifera

On 2/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, NoNameNeeded said:

That wouldn't change anything about my problem...

Unless it does. Why are you not willing to try?

On 6/5/2021 at 10:08 AM, NoNameNeeded said:

What I also did is that I changed the function it calls from GetOpenFileNameA to GetOpenFileNameW

However, I was wondering if there is a kind of replacement function that I can used instead that doesn't need unicode?

That never works. The app won't be able to read the returned string. That invalidates all following tests, so change it back and retest everything.

The correct api is GetOpenFileNameA.