Is it possible to install Windows XP on a Surface Pro 6?

GD 2W10

Hi,

I have an SP6 running Windows Server 2012 R2. I have not been able to get Windows 8.1 or 7 on there. My Surface Pro 6 has a Kaby Lake proccessor. Would it be possible to install Windows XP on a Surface Pro 6? I know that this is not straightforward and I would need to install XP x64 on a NVME VM with NvME drivers, copy files from Vista Build 5219, change the boot mode to UEFI, and backup and deploy the VM with Macrium Reflect. I am also going to post something similar on the Windows Vista section.

Edited by GD 2W10

Surfaces are made by Microsoft so I highly doubt that they made drivers for XP given that they're desperately trying to kill it in every possible way.

By a quick search, it looks like the official page for drivers is: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57514 which apparently doesn't show XP as supported.

Maybe you can look for drivers elsewhere and see whether they were released and then deleted by Microsoft or something like that, but given that the Surface 6 was released on October 2018, I'm not so sure M$ ever made drivers for XP...

46 minutes ago, GD 2W10 said:

I know that this is not straightforward and I would need to install XP x64 on a NVME VM with NvME drivers, copy files from Vista Build 5219, change the boot mode to UEFI, and backup and deploy the VM with Macrium Reflect. I am also going to post something similar on the Windows Vista section.

I'm sorry, I don't get it. If you're planning to use a VM instead of a physical installation, sure, you can install XP or other OS (provided that your CPU is x86 as architecture and not ARM).

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

@GD 2W10

You will probably need a way to run XP on pure UEFI, i don't think SP6 has a CSM option.

Does the Vista files you mentioned deal with this?

Yes it does.

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

@FranceBB

They probably meant install in VM first, then copy XP to the real hardware.

Yes that is what I meant.

After looking at the hardware, i think you will lack nearly all drivers under XP, if you manage to get it running at all...

It may be better to install a lightweight Linux distro and use XP in a VM - that way you should get most hardware running.

This looks useful, check also the links there.

HTH

8 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

After looking at the hardware, i think you will lack nearly all drivers under XP, if you manage to get it running at all...

It may be better to install a lightweight Linux distro and use XP in a VM - that way you should get most hardware running.

This looks useful, check also the links there.

HTH

That is not what I want to do, I want to strictly install Windows XP on the Surface Pro 6's real hardware and I know that there is pretty much no drivers for anything. I am open to doing anything.

Edited by GD 2W10

When you say "install" do you mean only using setup.exe? Because you can image an XP install onto the disk without issue. You could even put DOS on it if you wanted. But for XP 32bit it might be an issue, you may need to only be looking at XP 64bit for this type of device. The first step is to make sure you can find a storage driver to use, since if you can't find one, then it isn't going to boot.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, Tripredacus said:

When you say "install" do you mean only using setup.exe? Because you can image an XP install onto the disk without issue. You could even put DOS on it if you wanted. But for XP 32bit it might be an issue, you may need to only be looking at XP 64bit for this type of device. The first step is to make sure you can find a storage driver to use, since if you can't find one, then it isn't going to boot.

I am trying to install XP x64 and not x86. 

• 3 months later...

With no drivers for anything, the OS won't even boot. It wouldn't know how to communicate with any hardware, including the motherboard and the SSD.

If you're open to doing anything, how about reversing the drivers for newer Windows versions, and write your own for XP x64? Because I don't think there would be another way.

Man if anyone got the OS installed on a surface, and somehow loaded snappy driver off a USB. Would like to know if it found any drivers at all. Wish I had a newer laptop than a 2013 ASUS Ultrabook to test it on like that surface, the ultrabook had most of the drivers actually.

-Saga

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, cartpusher96 said:

I have a dell latitude from 2013 and I did not manage to find the wifi drivers when installing xp 64 but i did find ethernet and most of the others. Snappy driver I should have tried lol.

Found this with dell Inspiron but may work to find the wifi. If you go to your computers wifi driver on dells official site, then figure out it is say "Intel Centrino 1050-n" or something. Then search intel centrino 1050-n but with softpedia at the end, then on softpedia there sometimes is an various drop-downs for all the OS the driver equivalent is made for. See if XP x64 is on the list.

Used to have a latitude good luck!

-TheSaga

Edited by TheSaga