Window 10 is good or not?

john143

On 8/26/2020 at 6:38 AM, john143 said:

Please answer with your experience with window 10.

I posted a .bat file that gets rid of telemetry updates in 7/8.1/10 not that long ago here  if this will help you:D

Edited by VistaEX

I use Windows 10 Enterprise now (not saying how I got a digital license on all my computers, you will figure it out one day) and I have to say the ability of me having telemetry at 0 is amazing, it makes me feel more comfortable about it.

Honestly, the more these programs try to artificially restrict themselves to 10, the more I'm going to be switching to Linux, not 10. Linux is getting very close to where it cannot be ignored any longer, and once that happens, these stupid developers are just going to have to get with the times and accept that userbase. Hell, the driver support for Linux alone is utterly fantastic. A massive far cry from the days of yore.

If Microsoft continues being a dumbass with 10, then people will slowly but surely start losing their patience and switch to Linux. And once Linux gets a decent headstart with that, Microsoft is going to have a HUGE issue trying to pull them back, and I don't care how many additions to the "Windows Sub-system for Linux" they make. Windows used to be quality software worth the hefty pricetag, but Microsoft doesn't seem so concerned with such trivial matters as 'quality' and 'user needs' anymore.

Edited by AeroSeeker

1 hour ago, AeroSeeker said:

Honestly, the more these programs try to artificially restrict themselves to 10, the more I'm going to be switching to Linux, not 10. Linux is getting very close to where it cannot be ignored any longer, and once that happens, these stupid developers are just going to have to get with the times and accept that userbase. Hell, the driver support for Linux alone is utterly fantastic. A massive far cry from the days of yore.

If Microsoft continues being a dumbass with 10, then people will slowly but surely start losing their patience and switch to Linux. And once Linux gets a decent headstart with that, Microsoft is going to have a HUGE issue trying to pull them back, and I don't care how many additions to the "Windows Sub-system for Linux" they make. Windows used to be quality software worth the hefty pricetag, but Microsoft doesn't seem so concerned with such trivial matters as 'quality' and 'user needs' anymore.

I would say that most drivers work fine other than NVIDIA ones, which are HIGHLY underdeveloped and aren't even open source, because nvidia themself doesn't like linux. Even Linus Torvalds said F you to NVIDIA.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, InterLinked said:

I know people who do that, but can't understand why. Why not just use an OS that doesn't require such tweaks, like W7?

So I did a comparative study of Win7 and 8.x performance over 2 months on both real machines and VMs, and found out that a tweaked Win8.x install is better overall than Windows 7. For the time and effort that you need to tweak Windows 8.x to look like Windows 7 or Vista or something else, you get more speed, more features and more value ultimately. Try it yourself. 

NOTE: This does NOT mean that I hate Win7. I like it, but it comes second on my Windows Ranking list, after Windows 8.x and Vista which share first place.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, InterLinked said:

Compatability for 8x can be even worse than 7 so I can't see that being a bonus, either.

Security updates for 8x will end before or at the same time as security updates for 7 do, IIRC.

Well, in my case, all the software I require functions equally well on Windows 7 and 8.x and Vista (w/extended kernel). I don't game, so I dunno about games. 
Also, Security updates for Win8.x end at the same time as Windows 7's do.

Edited by Win10-Hater
fixed repeated use of "well"