Window 10 is good or not?

john143

2 minutes ago, darxide said:

Not reading an essay's worth of words since I've stayed awake for over 18 hours, so I decided to just Google it

"an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument."

Am I misrepresenting my opinion about Sony and 505 Games by saying I hate them? Am I misrepresenting my opinion I formed about Death Stranding before hating 505 Games and knowing who even published it?

Basically, I don't want to play package delivery simulator where the main character walks like a toddler, and the other things just add fuel to this.

"Memory Compression in Windows 10 RTM"

I had the privilege of spending some more time with the Windows 10 Kernel folks!! I love learning about the OS with the folks that actually work in it day in and day out. In this video Mehmet Iyigun spent some time discussing why the System process in Windows 10 is taking a bit more memory and why it's a good thing. A process taking more memory sounds like a bad thing - that is until I understood more about memory management, paging, and hard / soft page faults. Turns out that that the OS is doing some clever optimizations that allow your processes to trim some of the memory but not necessarily page it out to disk. Not only is the memory preserved in RAM, but it is also compressed - making hard page faults a more rare occurrence. The results should make for a snappier experience. The best part is that this feature is not an experimental feature: it has been available since the RTM bits of Windows 10 were released.

Edited by monkeylove

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 12:35 AM, asdf2345 said:

40% design, 40% instability, 20% telemetry

That's a very simplified list of the things that I dislike the most in Windows 10.

50% instability and sluggishness, 25% horrendous unorganised mess of a UI, 10% telemetry, 15% bloat. Those are the things I hate about Win10.

On 11/21/2020 at 12:07 AM, monkeylove said:

Downvote. How much ever you say about Win10 being "great", the truth remains unchanged: Windows 10's "Memory Compression" etc.etc. is just useless and it ate up all 4 out of 4 gigs of RAM on my secondary laptop, and 5 out of 8 gigs of RAM on my main laptop with an SSD when I had it installed (that too on idling, mind you), even with Windows Update disabled and with all bloat from MS Store removed.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, john143 said:

Please answer with your experience with window 10.

Substandard. That's what I can say about it in 1 word.

Even on modestly powerful PC's such as a friend's PC with:

an i5-4440
GTX 1070
a 1TB SSD (dunno which brand)
16GB DDR3-1600 MHz RAM

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations runs totally unsatisfactorily. So, he's planning to upgrade to Windows 8.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:36 PM, monkeylove said:

For telemetry, etc., run O&O Shutup and Windows Privacy Dashboard. Also, don't forget that telemetry also appeared in Win 7 and 8 and needed Aegis VOAT or similar to block.

Do you know that the telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.x can be easily disabled (without third-party tools) and that it is not as obtrusive as Win10's telemetry?

Meanwhile, check out night mode, dark mode, the new Power Toys, etc.

• Night mode can easily be implemented in any other Windows version through f.lux. 
  • Dark themes are available for older Windows versions also, so you can't say that it's a very useful feature introduced in Win10.
  • Individual PowerToys can be downloaded and installed on any other Windows version. 

Just use Open Shell:

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

and you have Windows 7.

Open Shell, however great it is, makes ZERO sense to me on Windows 10. It's only for Windows 8.x IMO. And also, is Open Shell the ultimate solution to making Win10 look like Win7? Please tell me.

33 minutes ago, noobie91 said:

Do you know that the telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.x can be easily disabled (without third-party tools) and that it is not as obtrusive as Win10's telemetry?

• Night mode can easily be implemented in any other Windows version through f.lux. 
  • Dark themes are available for older Windows versions also, so you can't say that it's a very useful feature introduced in Win10.
  • Individual PowerToys can be downloaded and installed on any other Windows version. 

Open Shell, however great it is, makes ZERO sense to me on Windows 10. It's only for Windows 8.x IMO. And also, is Open Shell the ultimate solution to making Win10 look like Win7? Please tell me.

I would give this ten upvotes!!!

On 10/20/2020 at 10:52 AM, MartinWill1989 said:

I have to work on a computer that has Windows 10. And it's just a nightmare. I will never install Windows 10 on my home computer.

I would give this ten upvotes!!!

14 minutes ago, noobie91 said:

Without patching the operating system in a way that makes sfc /scannow fail? Enlighten us, please...

The W10 PowerToys are useless IIRC. The XP ones were more useful.

Well, I think I'd go mad if I didn't have OpenShell on W10 when I have to use it :realmad:

You're saying people should just use the default sorry excuse for a start menu?

It looks more like what an 8x real start menu would have looked like but the point is functionality not look necessarily.

Best solution: upgrade to Windows 7, and forget about Windows 10, if you can!

Classic Shell appeared not long after Windows 7 was released and supported both 7 and Vista. No Start menu that came from Redmond is as customizable as newer versions of Classic Shell / Open Shell. I would've used it in place of Windows XP's menu as well.

15 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Classic Shell appeared not long after Windows 7 was released and supported both 7 and Vista. No Start menu that came from Redmond is as customizable as newer versions of Classic Shell / Open Shell. I would've used it in place of Windows XP's menu as well.

You might be able to fork Classic Shell and add back Vista support and add XP support.

10 hours ago, InterLinked said:

Best solution: upgrade to Windows 7, and forget about Windows 10, if you can!

Alternative solution: upgrade to Windows 8.0 or 8.1 (I use 8.1 on my secondary laptop), and tweak the UI to make it look like Win7 or Vista.

13 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

Alternative solution: upgrade to Windows 8.0 or 8.1 (I use 8.1 on my secondary laptop), and tweak the UI to make it look like Win7 or Vista.

I know people who do that, but can't understand why. Why not just use an OS that doesn't require such tweaks, like W7?

W7 still requires tweaks, but at least they can all be done through GPOs or reg edits or built-in OS toggling. No third party software needed to make it not drive you insane!

Compatability for 8x can be even worse than 7 so I can't see that being a bonus, either.

Security updates for 8x will end before or at the same time as security updates for 7 do, IIRC.

On 1/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, InterLinked said:

Why not just use an OS that doesn't require such tweaks, like W7?

I think this is why , just one of many examples. I see you're a vivid fan of win7 , please share your solution , thanks. Vista doesn't have such problems , btw.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182186-windows-7-executables-are-locked-on-a-clean-install-cannot-delete-for-some-time/

• 4 weeks later...

Windows Vista can't run on my hardware (i7 9700K, RX 5700XT) unless the timing dlls were fixed and someone backported the hell out of a driver. If it ran, I would try it. It doesn't run so I won't try it. Windows 7 works well for me but my problems nowadays are programs purposefully restricting their features, saying that they are "Windows 10 only features" even though I know they would work on Windows 8.1 or older. Windows 10 is just a mess, and I would consider using it if they brought back fluency / aero and added a switch between new start menu and the "classic" 7 style start menu, and a more unified telemetry ON or OFF button.