Window 10 is good or not?

john143

On 9/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, Tarun said:

This meme sums things up nicely about people who tweak and optimize, only to break their OS:
33uyk4zy4hj51.jpg

And - only for the record - the Author of the meme also disabled spelling auto correction (or did he/she actually used tolls to "modify OS"? :dubbio:)

;)

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

To be perfectly blunt, Windows 10 is a hot mess.

I'm much more productive on Windows 7. Each version of Windows requires more and more tweaks to make it half-usable, and Windows 10 isn't even then.

This sums it up pretty well: https://blog.interlinked.us/44/an-open-letter-to-microsoft-why-windows-10-sucks

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 9:06 AM, Dylan Cruz said:

To be perfectly blunt, Windows 10 is a hot mess.

it depends on which edition of Win10 you were using

some of my old PCs running LTSB/LTSC editions of Win10 work just fine with using 3rd party apps like WinaeroTweaker & O&OShutup10 (and setting all my internet connections to "metered")

On 10/8/2020 at 11:39 PM, erpdude8 said:

it depends on which edition of Win10 you were using

some of my old PCs running LTSB/LTSC editions of Win10 work just fine with using 3rd party apps like WinaeroTweaker & O&OShutup10 (and setting all my internet connections to "metered")

Even then, it's still a hot mess.

Privacy and telemetry is a gnat compared to the rest of W10

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-and-education

five more years of Windows 10 support until October 2025 - by that time, Windows 10 will be put out of its misery for good

On 10/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

Even then, it's still a hot mess.

Privacy and telemetry is a gnat compared to the rest of W10

does not bother me as apps like O&OShutup10 take care of that

Edited by erpdude8

Thing is you shouldn't need to use external tools to make an OS simply bearable to use, that should be reserved for additional tweaks and cool stuff. I think that's what most peoples' gripe with Windows 10 lies in too, the fact it requires 3rd party tools in order to improve performance tl the point it won't thrash the page file constantly on systems with less than 8GB RAM for instance (which believe me are not as uncommon as the internet wants you to believe).

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

On 10/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, erpdude8 said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-and-education

five more years of Windows 10 support until October 2025 - by that time, Windows 10 will be put out of its misery for good

does not bother me as apps like O&OShutup10 take care of that

I said those things *were a gnat* compared to the rest of W10.

If privacy, telemetry, and spying were the only things that sucked about W10, it would be a great OS. But, they're not.

17 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

40% design, 40% instability, 20% telemetry

That's a very simplified list of the things that I dislike the most in Windows 10.

For me, I'd say 90% design, 7% instability, and 3% telemetry, honestly.

It's not like I love it when Windows force installs an update (which can be disabled via GPO anyhow on Pro+), but that's been the default since W7 anyways with the 10 minute/1 hour/4 hour popup IIRC.

1 minute ago, Dylan Cruz said:

For me, I'd say 90% design, 7% instability, and 3% telemetry, honestly.

It's not like I love it when Windows force installs an update (which can be disabled via GPO anyhow on Pro+), but that's been the default since W7 anyways with the 10 minute/1 hour/4 hour popup IIRC.

1809 and 2004 were more stable for me than previous Windows 10 releases, so it's more like 60% design, 20% telemetry, 10% slowness, and 10% instability if I include only modern 10.

1 hour ago, MartinWill1989 said:

I have to work on a computer that has Windows 10. And it's just a nightmare. I will never install Windows 10 on my home computer.

Yeah, I hear you there - know how it feels :(

https://blog.interlinked.us/44/an-open-letter-to-microsoft-why-windows-10-sucks

On the bright side, i look at it this way: I'll never need to purchase Windows or Office again. Microsoft as done me a huge favor!

For me Windows 10 is pretty mixed. I never use any UWP apps and usually uninstall them all, incl. Microsoft Store when I first install my machine after a feature update breaks it. It's blatanly obvious that the telemetry they collect and use is sold to advertisers and 3rd party companies, which is why Microsoft fired the QA team as well, because that is now the consumers computers. I currently use Windows 10 for one reason, is because of my idiocy back in 2015. I wasn't as smart with computers as I was back then and was like "oooh new windwos lets upgadte!!!!!" but now I know that Windows 10 is terrible. The only thing I actually like about the OS is that fluent doesn't look that bad. Other than that, the UI is horrendous with settings being so big. Everything on Windows 10 is just so big. Seems like some Fisher Price computer OS that was made for children who are under the age of 3 trying to comprehend how to change their display resolution. Control Panel did it so much better, it was more effiecently using the space and had more items in it with less space taken up.

There are many things that I can talk about being stupid. Specifically the most horrendous one is Settings. That app when on an ultrawide monitor has 73% of it being nothing. When very small and compressed it looks like the Windows Phone.