Window 10 is good or not?

john143

The OS itself is fine, it is just the shell that is a nightmare.

I only personally use the Enterprise versions for work and home computers.

If you read in this section, there are plenty of threads about personal experience, such as this thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/174896-official-windows-10-worst-crap-ever/

:hello:

i never used it
and will never use it

but to say that "OS is fine, only shell isnt", for OS that in core is HUGE spyware (even if this started with XP ? but now is nightmare)
and that it bypasses firewall, and bypasses HOSTS, and violates your basic human rights- yes rights- there was article where MS emloyee was QUOTED
where he says that "they" can see what files you have on your disk ....

for OS which updates are NOT tested, for OS that treats users as beta testers

i wouldn't be so light with "OS is fine" :P

Edited by vinifera

need ssd and new cpu to handle the os without spoil the user xp

not just because the bloat also the optimizations

overall:

i would give it the same rank of windows 7 beta

it can be buggy in same cases and it can work ok

it never feel complete product because

the QA is not perfect as windows 7 had

extreme changes to OS like metro apps that relate mostly to tablet which is exist

but leeching on windows branding too much

and the Facebook approach is quite painful to desktop user

which looking to have good experience in games, the approach of needing to renew everytime cause to reinstall new os  new drivers or fixing bugs all the time

feels like standing on unstable rock

but each coin have the good side

u get the newer features

u can also try install ltsb / ltsc edition and might have stabler experience  or less bloat-y for old / pre-4gen cpu

Edited by aviv00

13 hours ago, vinifera said:

i never used it
and will never use it

but to say that "OS is fine, only shell isnt", for OS that in core is HUGE spyware (even if this started with XP ? but now is nightmare)
and that it bypasses firewall, and bypasses HOSTS, and violates your basic human rights- yes rights- there was article where MS emloyee was QUOTED
where he says that "they" can see what files you have on your disk ....

for OS which updates are NOT tested, for OS that treats users as beta testers

i wouldn't be so light with "OS is fine" :P

All of the things that are monitored are from within the shell. Start Menu, apps, search/cortana, browsers. All either part of the shell or launched from the shell. If you were to replace the shell with a browser, does the same amount of monitoring occur? I am inclined to think not, but it would be interesting to know if that was the case.

In my experience, Windows 10 met my needs a while ago. That was back when I was not informed of the privacy problems, etc. 

It really is the biggest Pros and Cons OS that was probably made. You have a lot of pros, like modern hw support and program support, but you also have a lot of cons, may be really buggy, and privacy concerns.

I really have run out of options tbh. We are just forced out of our will to have our information spied on. And even when we try to stop that, they come out with this "You can't disable defender" and "Hosts file blocking telemetry" things. 

the LTSB/LTSC editions of Win10 seem to work well on my old PCs (2nd gen Intel core, AMD Socket AM3+ cpu & older based pcs) - at least those editions get 5 years of mainstream support & another 5 years of extended support for a total of 10 years.  and I don't have to deal with having to install big win10 feature updates

the non-LTSB/C editions get shorter support life spans depending on each Win10 release (see MS Windows Lifecycle Fact sheet)

Edited by erpdude8

Windows 10 itself works great. If you try and tweak it to "optimize" by disabling things, you're just making more problems.

It's not a good idea to disable Microsoft Defender. Hell, it's been the best antivirus all year.

This meme sums things up nicely about people who tweak and optimize, only to break their OS:
33uyk4zy4hj51.jpg

My microsoft update server was once caught spoofing IPV9 around 2016 or 17 according to a packet sniffer. I don't know why but I traced it to a ikami server farm.

Unless the cpu was made up to 5 years ago I don't recommend it and since the old windows is going bye bye probably better off using linux.

My computer is so damn annoying with windows 10 and it can run xp as well so I am thinking of retireing it as an xp gaming rig when i get my new machine some day.

Considering it has xp support its probably one of the last and fastest to do it.

Its not that it can't work its just annoying to disable all the backdoors and the easter eggs just try to make it better than it is. Its getting older. Most of its generic driver base dates back to 2006. All these attacks on ageing hardware has crippled many legacy users.

Linux is almost good enough to replace it for everyone just a few things i suppose have to get used to without. There is emulation within linux though I could run it in that.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
additional

On 9/1/2020 at 2:43 AM, Tarun said:

Windows 10 itself works great. If you try and tweak it to "optimize" by disabling things, you're just making more problems.

It's not a good idea to disable Microsoft Defender. Hell, it's been the best antivirus all year.

This meme sums things up nicely about people who tweak and optimize, only to break their OS:
33uyk4zy4hj51.jpg

We should be able to customize the OS to how the user wants it. Not how Microsoft wants it.

I have been using windows 10 and I am already used to using it. It is not that great but it is also not bad. I suggest you read reviews as well, this will be a great help. Just like when I bought our compact toilet , I have read reviews on which brand to choose. 

Edited by Vermicious