Defragmenter of 95 vs 98/Me

xpclient

I just noticed that in Windows 95 Disk Defragmenter, you have the option to consolidate free space whereas in Windows 98/Me, this option is gone. Does anyone know if the Disk Defragmenter of Windows 98/Me automatically consolidate free space or Microsoft removed this ability after Windows 95? There's always sysinternals sdelete to wipe free space but Defragmenter of 95 doing it built-in was a nice option. :)

Hi xpclient. Since nobody answered, i'm no expert, in Windows 98 SE defrag automatically moves data to the front of the drive, where i believe data access is fastest, leaving freespace at the end (pretty much). Opening 'defrag' GUI, the only options are 'Rearrange program files so my programs start faster', 'Check the drive for errors' and 'use these options everytime'.

Disk Defragmenter from Windows ME is a drop in replacement in Windows 98 SE, much faster performance, maybe someone else will know if it also works in Windows 95. VoptXP v7.22 is sometimes used here too, briefly discussed in the 'Running vanilla Windows 98..' thread. It seems very good, supports Windows 95 (with SP1) through to Windows 2000 (SP2) and Windows XP (SP1).