Does Windows Update still work on Windows 7?

surrodox2001

In the light of MS removing all non-SHA2 downloads recently, I was wondering how it would affects updates for Windows 7 before the SHA2 update/requirement (KB4474419) and in general, on a unpatched Windows 7 system.

Does update still works without KB4474419 installed? Or all Win7 updates before SHA2 requirement are removed?

I don't know.  I just installed Windows 7 x64 on my computer.  After installing SP1 from DVD and installing the Update Rollup from disk, I attempted to install Nvidia 452.06.  It refused to install until after I had installed the SHA-2 updates: KB4474419 & KB4490628.  Nvidia was kind enough to provide direct download links in the error message.

Edit: Upon further research, it turns out I had installed the Servicing Stack April 2015 Update (KB3020369), which is required before installing the April 2016 Convenience Rollup (KB 3125574-v4).

Edited by mshultz
Additional Information

• dencorso changed the title to Does Windows Update still work on Windows 7?
  • dencorso pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, surrodox2001 said:

In the light of MS removing all non-SHA2 downloads recently, I was wondering how it would affects updates for Windows 7 

Not at all. In full contrast to Microsoft's announcement at help article 4569557, Windows 7 SP1 remains unaffected whatsoever by the August 2020 discontinuation of SHA-1 based endpoints.

Regards, VZ

Windows Update works. You need the SHA-2 updates. Our domain controller at work runs Windows Server 2008 R2, and so when the Zerologon exploit went public, I was naturally concerned. Well, turns out, last time it was updated was: Never, so I had some fun with that. I installed the SHA2 updates and let WU run overnight, and after maybe 6 reboots it was finally up to date with all patches through September 2020.

On 9/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, Volume Z said:

Not at all. In full contrast to Microsoft's announcement at help article 4569557, Windows 7 SP1 remains unaffected whatsoever by the August 2020 discontinuation of SHA-1 based endpoints.

For clarity, are you saying that you have installed Windows 7 within the last month, and Windows Update was able to patch it to January 2020 standards without manually installing any update pertaining to SHA-2?

Edit: And btw welcome to MSFN!

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Thank you. :)

You know, I couldn't for the life of me make sense of replies like "The update is not applicable to your computer".

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-update-error-80244019/c220c4eb-115a-4703-b580-70b36f2c2b0e

An answer in perfect accordance to article 4569557 was given, but no success???

So I tried to break Windows Update by removing KB4474419. Nothing happened.

Ran Windows Update on a fresh virtual installation of Windows 7 SP1 - found updates without making any preparations...

I know that both updates become indispensable going further, but Microsoft's claim of "Will be impacted" regarding Windows 7 SP1 is just plain incorrect. Windows 7 SP1 has experienced no change at all by the 2020 SHA-1 endpoint discontinuation.

Also note that it just makes no sense advising to fix Windows 7 RTM and SP1 the same way.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4569557/windows-update-sha-1-based-endpoints-discontinued

Regards, VZ

Edited by Volume Z

Works as not advertised.

No bearing of KB4474419 and KB4490628 on the August 2020 SHA-1 endpoint retirement, and no bearing of the August 2020 SHA-1 endpoint retirement on Windows 7 SP1.

Update.png.5bbe5c21d7409a1a11dfd685ae9eb34b.pngUpdateverlauf.png.1d6e3f4e73df7e6c0b39a55591dfe372.png

Edited by Volume Z

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:15 AM, Volume Z said:

And Windows 7 RTM, for that matter, but no bearing of KB4474419 and KB4490628 on that one either.  :)

do realize that MS discontinued support for Win7 RTM in April 2013, so that specific W7 version go no new updates afterwards

22 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

do realize that MS discontinued support for Win7 RTM in April 2013, so that specific W7 version go no new updates afterwards

I understood Volume Z to say that Windows Update will not deliver SP1 (or anything else) to a new installation of Windows 7 RTM, i.e. SP1 would have to be manually installed in order to get Windows Update working now. (And it should go without saying that SHA-2 updates are only applicable to SP1.) An October thread about updates for server 2008 r2 suggests that the same is true for that version of Windows 6.1.

• 1 month later...

Going way back, in the life of Windows 7, there have been problems with Windows Updates.  As a working Computer Tech, I've been called on to FIX PC's that have been trashed or otherwise compromised by an automatic Windows Update.  Some PC's were so badly damaged that a total RE-Install of Win-7 had to be performed.

As a result, I turned OFF Windows Update on all those PC's as well as my own.  I'm still using Windows 7/Pro/64 today, and Windows Update remains "Disabled" and my Windows 7 runs just fine.  So what's the big deal about getting windows update? 

If you look, you can find Windows 7 available on the web, complete with all the latest updates, Media Player, and Internet Explorer.  No spam, no viruses, and NO BS.

"Life is more fun, when you know how it works" !

:cool:

• 1 month later...

I was getting Defender security updates till last month, now there is no more updates, I always see the status  "Computer is updated" in the control panel.

Edited by Licht92

Microsoft Security Essentials will be supported on Windows 7 until 2023:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-microsoft-security-essentials-c25ad47a-7d15-8072-1438-b07dffcbbb20

Windows Update still provides the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool once a month.  My Windows 7 x64 system receives both updates without problem.