bad sectors and still using it ?

vinifera

Most probably it is an issue (of some kind) with the drivers, USB connected hard disks are - generally speaking - a PITA as there is this "overlay" (the USB bus/protocol) that does not often allow some info to "go through", usually (when possible) to diagnose a USB hard disk it is better to take it off the enclosure and connect it "directly" (PATA or SATA) to avoid those issues, eSATA drivers are (obviously) unaffected.

What you report is "strange" however, it working one day and not the day after, it is however possible that *for some reasons* some different drivers were in use and that *somehow* changed.

The Drivecleanup tool is a good tool but it is well possible that *somehow* in the past some particular (working) driver was installed and then still *somehow* it was replaced by a "standard" one missing the functionalities the old one had, and after the DriveCleanup ran the same "standard" driver was re-instated.

jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

possible that *somehow* in the past some particular (working) driver was installed and then still *somehow* it was replaced by a "standard"

Well , I only use standard drivers , I did not install any USB drivers at all. Everything is at Vista's defaults . When I plugged a USB HDD enclosure in , it said "installing driver, done" . When I plugged another HDD enclosure , it installed a driver again . I have two variants of enclosures with 2 different chips . One is with ASM and another with Philips. DriveCleanup tool reported 25 deleted USB drivers , some of them were used for USB flash drives.

Yes, strange indeed ! No problems with SATA external enclosures , only USB are glitchy . I can live without the USB SMART , I need the temps though. Is there a way to diagnose ?

I remembered , I installed the audio driver recently , the one that you helped me to find . That's it . But everything was fine for several weeks and then boom ! No SMART, no temps . At first I thought the enclosure gone kaput. But it works on another PC. 

Thank you, very helpful as usual !

On 8/18/2020 at 5:54 PM, vinifera said:

...so what the hell ?

I know how you feel ... I've done everything everyone has told me to do here (accept the full format recommended by @Dixel) and I still can not get my computer to remap those sectors. Victoria wouldn't even do it, but that is a great utility @jaclaz as I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it here, so thank you. This is a ST3750640NS and I'm always surprised the wheels haven't fallen off if this old clunker.

spacer.png

Edited by XPerceniol

14 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Just wanted to say I liked your posting because you linked a helpful tool - not that you're having hard drive issues.

Glad to help fellow MSFN members and you especially !

17 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I don't know, you can try HDDscan

Thank you . Unfortunately , no , still not shown . I see there's original Vista USBSTOR.SYS driver in the system32/drivers folder . Everything is intact. What I meant is to diagnose the USB connections , not the disk itself. Everything works fine though . Safe eject powers down the HDD and the device . Can copy files etc. The only problem , can't read SMART. Do I have to reinstall the whole system ? Jeez ...  

And for some reason , I can't multiquote ...

I think this will remain an unresolved mystery, I take for granted that on other systems, possibly running other OS's HDDscan manages to read the specific USB hard disk SMART data and temperature.

If this is the case, and it is confirmed, and since it worked before on that specific Vista machine, the only logically possible culprit is the driver (or more properly the set of drivers related to the USB stack in use) or *something* (be it some obscure Registry setting or some other software interfering with the USB communication) else, what could it be I  have right now no idea about. :(

jaclaz  

This has nothing to do with Vista and/or drivers . It's a well known HDD sentinel bug , just look at their forums. Try to reinstall it . And remove the remnants before you install it again.

34 minutes ago, Dixel said:

This has nothing to do with Vista and/or drivers . It's a well known HDD sentinel bug , just look at their forums. Try to reinstall it . And remove the remnants before you install it again.

Well, the whole point is that HDDscan (which is a different tool) also fails, hence the need to confirm that HDDscan (again a different tool) does work on another machine with the same USB disk.

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

HDDscan (which is a different tool)

jaclaz , that's precisely what I'm talking about . It interferes with any other HDD scanning tools. If he still had the HDD sentinel installed (when he tried HDDscan) it could be the reason , so he needs to completely remove HDD sent. , clean the registry , reboot (important) and then try other tools . Why ? because HDD sentinel uses native windows loggers to perform it's activities (including USB and SATA HDD speed , for example). 

Also , may want to check this entry :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfDisk\Performance]

"Disable Performance Counters"=dword:00000000

It's not tied to the temps though . And I'm still sure it's the famous sentinel's ancient bug .

Yep, *something* in the Registry could be as said another possible reason, but I too don't think that that particular hive/key is related.

It is good to be sure about something :) , I tend to have often doubts :dubbio:.

Another tool that might be tried is smartmontools:

https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/USB

direct:

https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download#InstalltheWindowspackage

or via:

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

I believe both are still Vista compatible.

jaclaz

SOLVED Completely removed HDD sentinel , cleaned up the registry , removed any mentions , also deleted the task from the task scheduler (found myself). Spent almost an hour !

Rebooted , installed another version , voila : everything works !

What I really hate about this "sentinel" , it is always outdated ! It won't show the info about my HGST from 2015 , c'mon , really !?

Is there any other similar (but better) tool that can check disk temps with an interval ? 

EVERYONE , including jaclaz and Dixel , thank you for your help !!!

HGST.png