Updates for Windows 2000, XP and Vista no longer available via WU

thepwrtank18

As of August 2020, Windows 2000, XP and Vista are no longer downloadable via Windows Update.

How?

Windows Update's servers have used SHA-1 and SHA-2 for a while now. As of August 2020, Microsoft has transitioned from SHA-1 to SHA-2 completely, removing SHA-1 support (which 2000, XP, and Vista need).

Why?

Security reasons. SHA-1 is more vulnerable to security risks.

As an alternative to Windows Update, you will need to use this Update Repository: 

You can also use Server 2008 updates, which you can find here: https://mega.nz/folder/txxRyLzC#1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w (created by @greenhillmaniac)

Edited by thepwrtank18

I have a pertinent question... Why create a thread, when this topic is already being discussed:

Furthermore, you're linking to the Server 2008 update repository that I created without any kind of credit.
Honestly, this thread seems pointless... :crazy:

13 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I have a pertinent question... Why create a thread, when this topic is already being discussed:

Furthermore, you're linking to the Server 2008 update repository that I created without any kind of credit.

IMO the decommissioning thread should be pinned in legacy windows section, as it's a hot topic. Also helps for newbies to not create a new topic each time windows update shows that 0x80008135hehe error or whatever it is.

Edited by IntMD

29 minutes ago, IntMD said:

IMO the decommissioning thread should be pinned in legacy windows section, as it's a hot topic. Also helps for newbies to not create a new topic each time windows update shows that 0x80008135hehe error or whatever it is.

I’m actually rather dissatisfied with that decommissioning thread, e.g. about half of recent discussion revolves around the desire of Dave-H to get the last Office 2010 updates for his fully-updated XP system without resorting to the catalog (never mind that Dave-H has a separate thread about Office 2010 updates.) For those who are attempting to update after a clean install, that thread might not be particularly helpful overall.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:57 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Changed it so that it credits you as well.