Some things about 7 that I want to fix

sunryze

I have used 10 ever since it came out. 10 sucked when it came out but I never realized it, but now realizing how unstable it is and how 7 honestly is more reliable, I am deciding to try to use 7 now.

Some of the features of 10 I like, so this is them:

- Modern task manager

- Better aero snap (you can choose what to snap)

- Aero snap on multi-monitor (i cant snap to the right side of left monitor of there is a right monitor connected)

- Scrolling on unfocused windows

- Windows 10 style Command Prompt

Is it possible to mod 7 to meet those features i like? Also, my system is a Z370 and I know that my system will work 100%, but there is some stupid Intel Management engine stuff that shows up that I can't get rid of in Device Manager.

Edited by Tonny52
fixed typo

On 7/26/2020 at 4:50 AM, Tonny52 said:

- Modern task manager

DBC Task Manager - has some loose edges over the real thing, eg. you can't disable startup entries, it doesn't display information about virtualization availability and that you're running the OS on the virtual machine in case you do.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:50 AM, Tonny52 said:

- Better aero snap (you can choose what to snap)

- Aero snap on multi-monitor (i cant snap to the right side of left monitor of there is a right monitor connected)

- Scrolling on unfocused windows

Actual Multiple Monitors has all those features (paid software with 30 days trial period, 24.95 USD).

For scrolling inactive windows alone, KatMouse and WizMouse first come to mind (both free).

Edited by UCyborg
Added some remarks regarding DBC Task Manager and missing links

Scrolling on inactive windows is not really an OS feature. You can certainly do it in Windows 7, but I believe it has more to do with how the program is written than what OS it is running on. Maybe Win10 has something that overrides a program's default interaction, making it possible to do an inactive scroll even if it isn't supported? :dubbio:

Regarding extra devices... when dealing with computers not in production or corporate environments... I just don't install drivers for stuff I don't use. IME and SoL are ... SOL. :lol:

6 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Maybe Win10 has something that overrides a program's default interaction, making it possible to do an inactive scroll even if it isn't supported? :dubbio:

It just sends mouse wheel event (WM_MOUSEWHEEL message) to the window under the mouse instead of focus window - the one with keyboard focus. Note that UI elements such as buttons, text boxes, dropdown lists etc. are all windows and if certain element doesn't process the event, it goes to its parent.

In IfranView for example, if you position the mouse cursor over the zoom box and rotate the wheel, it'll zoom in/zoom out the image you're viewing. Normally, you would have to click the box to give it keyboard focus to make the zoom box react to the mouse wheel. Another part of UI that responds to rotating mouse wheel will only trigger the zoom function if CTRL is held at the time.

Why are mouse wheel messages delivered to the focus window instead of the window under the mouse?

• 2 weeks later...

I already made this post but I didn't detail it enough and it was too long ago anyway.

My system:
i5 8400 (Z370 HD3 by Gigabyte)
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

My issues:

- UAC takes a long time to dim the screen

- Login / Logout is not smooth (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjWJbCCMDM7WERfxGpUmiiBAywucTElA/view?usp=drivesdk)

- Changing theme is very slow, sits there on Please Wait for minutes on end

- Changing resolution takes a while, screen flashes and windows move around a lot

- Bluetooth Xbox One controller drivers????

Other than that I was able to gain the scrolling on inactive windows with KatMouse. Best program ever.

Noticed that some of my older games run natively on 7, was a bug plus for me.

For some reason sleep does not take long anymore. It goes to sleep faster than 10 does now.

Edited by Tonny52