Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

greenhillmaniac

Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+)

Is there a internet archive mirror of this? Or is it exclusive to MEGA?

Also, using the command:

forfiles /p "C:\Users\greenhillmaniac\Downloads\General" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

Does that include subfolders? (say there's another folder with updates, does it include the ones in the other folder, or is it just the ones exclusively in the general folder?)

1 hour ago, hjaiak12 said:

Is there a internet archive mirror of this? Or is it exclusive to MEGA?

So far I have it on Mega and my external HDD. Don't know if I can put in on Archive.org

1 hour ago, hjaiak12 said:

Does that include subfolders? (say there's another folder with updates, does it include the ones in the other folder, or is it just the ones exclusively in the general folder?)

If you want to include subfolders just add the /s switch to forfiles.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Don't know if I can put in on Archive.org

Didn't someone put a backup of the XP x64 WSUS Offline ISO a while back? It should be okay, while IA is sometimes a treasure trove of piracy (for a lot of people tbh excepting Wayback Machine) it's also got its moments of legally great backed up stuff like well, this eventually.

I kinda think this stuff and up to whenever they altered the build number to 6003, could be integrated into an unofficial Service Pack 3 (at the least, the Main/Security/Hotfixes) and then the remainder of updates up to Jan.2020 in a "SP4". Bloating it out with crap like the XP SP4 project did that is generally up to the user to decide like the .NET Frameworks would be against advisory IMO.

Posted (edited)

@greenhillmaniac I got some crucial questions to you. I got Windows Vista Home Basic SP2

1. Is it necessary to install the KB947821 before your updates ?

2. Does it make a difference to install your updates in random order?  Is that correct > General > Net Framework > Security > Hotfixes > etc. 

3. Does it make sense to install some Windows Server 2008 updates after your updates post #1: https://mega.nz/folder/txxRyLzC#1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

4. Where can I find download links for up-to-date ISO images of Windows Vista

Thank you. 

Edited by whiteindian

1 hour ago, whiteindian said:

1. Is it necessary to install the KB947821 before your updates ?

Is that the System Update Readiness Tool? I think you only need that if you have trouble installing updates. If your system was freshly installed, there's no need.

2. Does it make a difference to install your updates in random order?  Is that correct > General > Net Framework > Security > Hotfixes > etc. 

I usually go: Platform Update + Suplement > Internet Explorer 9 > Net Framework 3.5, 4.6 and updates > Powershell 2.0 + BITS 4.0 > Media Player 11 > General > Security > Hotfixes
The idea is to install as many updated components as possible before moving on to the General, Security, etc updates. That way, the updates will cover a wider range of software.

3. Does it make sense to install some Windows Server 2008 updates after your updates post #1: https://mega.nz/folder/txxRyLzC#1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

I'd say so, yeah. The main one would be the TLS 1.1 and 1.2 updates, but you can also add the SHA2 updates (they do make Windows Update non functional, but @abbodi1406 managed to make it work regardless. go to MDL and you'll find it)

4. Where can I find download links for up-to-date ISO images of Windows Vista

In here you won't find any. It's usually best if you create your own.

• Like 2