Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+)

greenhillmaniac

Finally got the time to create the much requested Update Repository for Vista.
I've collected these updates a year ago, but only recently took the time to put them on my Mega account and organize them.

It has roughly the same format as my post-EOL repositories, with x86 and amd64 versions. A few highlight points:

• Most updates come in ".cab" format, because at the time it was easier to manage bulk installations in this format (I was trying to update offline images)
  • Includes hotfixes not distributed through Windows Update. These were collected through a mix of the now defunct MS Hotfix service and the website "hotfixshare". There's some interesting fixes in there.
  • While most of the updates are language agnostic, some are specific to the language I use, Portuguese of Portugal (like the IE9 installer). If you'd like to provide a version for your language, please contact me.

To install a ".cab" format update, just run the following command:

start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:<path to updates> /s:<temp path for extraction> /l:<path for log files> /norestart

To bulk install updates, I usually run the following set of commands:

forfiles /p <path to update folder> /m *.cab /c "cmd /c mkdir @fname"
forfiles /p <path to update folder> /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

The first command creates a folder for each individual update and the second one installs each update and extracts onto each created folder.
Here's a practical example. Say, I have all of the updates from the repository located in my Downloads folder inside my user profile. In this case, I want to install every update in the "General" folder. I'd use the commands above like so:

forfiles /p "C:\Users\greenhillmaniac\Downloads\General" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c mkdir @fname"
forfiles /p "C:\Users\greenhillmaniac\Downloads\General" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

I'd recommend you install no more than 200 updates at a time. This can also be used to create an updated Vista ISO for later use (tutorial coming soon™)

Anyway, here's the link for the repository :)

And to think I was going to archive the x86 links that were scrapped by daniel_k! Well the community can always rely on you.

By the way, have you crosschecked with what daniel_k's got to see if there are update urls that you didn't get but he did? Just to make sure we get this s*** complete.

I have an ISO with Server updates through January 2020 that a friend of mine created. It's Ultimate, but the Ultimate Extras aren't pre-installed. (i'll look into releasing the image later) Is there any way to package those into offline msu's too? Bit concerned about that since they could disappear from Microsoft servers without warning.

Must be some telepathy because I just TODAY installed Windows Vista with SP2 just for fun in VMware and found they broke Windows Update due to SHA-2. Offline updating is always better. Thank you! By the way, Windows Vista offline updating finishes must faster if you disconnect from the internet otherwise every update tried to check applicability online and gets super slow. I hope everyone knows this. This was fixed in later versions of Windows.

@greenhillmaniac, which updates exactly are language-specific? I noticed some Ultimate Extras folders were named in Portuguese. I did find the updates with pt-pt or ptg in their file names. Any others too? Are Ultimate Extras non-English?

Edited by xpclient

17 hours ago, xpclient said:

@greenhillmaniac, which updates exactly are language-specific? I noticed some Ultimate Extras folders were named in Portuguese. I did find the updates with pt-pt or ptg in their file names. Any others too? Are Ultimate Extras non-English?

The updates that say pt-pt or ptg are in Portuguese. All others are language neutral. In fact, the Ultimate Extras are language neutral (forgot to change the folder names). I'd estimate only an extremely small amount of them are specific to my language.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:26 PM, docR said:

It's Ultimate, but the Ultimate Extras aren't pre-installed. (i'll look into releasing the image later) Is there any way to package those into offline msu's too? Bit concerned about that since they could disappear from Microsoft servers without warning.

Just install the "cab" files through pkgmgr. Works just like you installed them through Windows Update. If you give that Ultimate Extras folder to your friend, he should know how to integrate them into the ISO.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:23 PM, IntMD said:

By the way, have you crosschecked with what daniel_k's got to see if there are update urls that you didn't get but he did? Just to make sure we get this s*** complete.

I did go multiple times through this list at the time I compiled it, but I'll try to see what daniel_k has.

Edited by greenhillmaniac

Great so I got all English files installed now. With this batch file, I installed all the cab ones without making any mess of tons of files in the folder where the cabs themselves are located:

md %tmp%\Updates
cmd /c for %%U in (*.cab) DO pkgmgr /ip /m:"%%U" /s:"%tmp%\Updates" /quiet /norestart
rd %tmp%\Updates /q /s

15 minutes ago, xpclient said:

Great so I got all English files installed now. With this batch file, I installed all the cab ones without making any mess of tons of files in the folder where the cabs themselves are located:

md %tmp%\Updates
cmd /c for %%U in (*.cab) DO pkgmgr /ip /m:"%%U" /s:"%tmp%\Updates" /quiet /norestart
rd %tmp%\Updates /q /s

The main advantage of creating a folder for each update is that all the extracted files that pkgmgr extracts will be contained in them. It's easier to maintain and then delete. Plus, I had a few errors (not sure why) when trying to install without specifying a temporary directory, so I like to do it just in case.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Finally got the time to create the much requested Update Repository for Vista.
I've collected these updates a year ago, but only recently took the time to put them on my Mega account and organize them.

HI GHM, I just wanted to thank you for providing all these update files from your MEGA account as it really covers all of the ground work us Vista users would have struggled to achieve. I have been using the batch file you have kindly provided as well, and for the most part, I think it has been working. Checking windows update history is one way to authenticate the installation of a particular update, but I was wondering if there was any way of creating a cmd prompt or text file to see the installs in real time? I've tried to combine some of yours (and others) existing code to do this myself but cant seem to get it to work. I would be nice to know which ones are successful in installation and which have failed. Many thanks for any info!!!

15 hours ago, Vista'erest said:

but I was wondering if there was any way of creating a cmd prompt or text file to see the installs in real time?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, pkgmgr does not show any visual progress on update installation, unlike its successor, Dism. When an update is not applicable or has been superseded, pkgmgr simply doesn't install it, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about that. As long as you install updates in the correct order (from oldest to newest, installing first the Platform Update alongside IE9), you should be gold.

I guess you could just install the Windows 7 AIK and adapt the script to use Dism, as it will act as a wrapper for pkgmgr, but I'm not sure it displays any more information.

11 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Unfortunately, as far as I know, pkgmgr does not show any visual progress on update installation, unlike its successor, Dism. When an update is not applicable or has been superseded, pkgmgr simply doesn't install it, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about that. As long as you install updates in the correct order (from oldest to newest, installing first the Platform Update alongside IE9), you should be gold.

I guess you could just install the Windows 7 AIK and adapt the script to use Dism, as it will act as a wrapper for pkgmgr, but I'm not sure it displays any more information.

Ooh ok thanks for that information about pkgmgr not being able to show any visual progress. But what about a log file? Could that be created as the updates are being installed then? I was messing around with a script I found awhile back that I posted in here that installed all the msu, exe, msp, and cab files. It also leaves a log that can be referenced readily at anytime during the Vista updates installation. BUT, I chose not to use it for these cab files because it makes a mess of the update folder where all the updates are. It scatters the .cat, manifest, mum files and x86 folders everywhere through the location folder, not to mention, that it swells the folders to triple the size. The way you created your cab install *.bat file was great and simple because it contains all the files for deletion later. I just thought if it could create a log too, it would be the icing on the cake. I'm not sure if logs can be created because I'm not a programmer and please excuse me for this request if it cant be done, because I have no idea. But many thanks again for what you have provided so far!! :)

InstallUpdatesh.Vbs_.vbs

11 hours ago, Vista'erest said:

Ooh ok thanks for that information about pkgmgr not being able to show any visual progress. But what about a log file? Could that be created as the updates are being installed then? I was messing around with a script I found awhile back that I posted in here that installed all the msu, exe, msp, and cab files. It also leaves a log that can be referenced readily at anytime during the Vista updates installation. BUT, I chose not to use it for these cab files because it makes a mess of the update folder where all the updates are. It scatters the .cat, manifest, mum files and x86 folders everywhere through the location folder, not to mention, that it swells the folders to triple the size. The way you created your cab install *.bat file was great and simple because it contains all the files for deletion later. I just thought if it could create a log too, it would be the icing on the cake. I'm not sure if logs can be created because I'm not a programmer and please excuse me for this request if it cant be done, because I have no idea. But many thanks again for what you have provided so far!! :)

InstallUpdatesh.Vbs_.vbs 3.23 kB · 0 downloads

You can use the /l flag to create a log. It would go something like this:

start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:C:\Update\update.cab /s:C:\Sandbox /l:C:\log.txt

11 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

You can use the /l flag to create a log. It would go something like this:

So this is how I edited your "vista offline_bat" file included with your MEGA updates:

cls
::Change path in here
FOR %%f IN (E:\updates\*.cab) DO start /w pkgmgr /o:"E:\mount\Windows" /ip /m:"%%f" /s:"E:\temp" /l:e:\temp\log.txt
PAUSE
cls

forfiles /p "C:\Users\M3A78EM\Downloads\GreenHillManiacsVISTAx86\CABS" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c mkdir @fname"
forfiles /p "C:\Users\M3A78EM\Downloads\GreenHillManiacsVISTAx86\CABS" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

All the bat folders are contained as before, everything working except still no "coherent" log file.

Maybe I didnt put the log command in the right location?

Its a text file full of a massive array of quoted "y's" ie:

À      =RZé                       À                   Àv  ¬      ò*Zé         r     S3"ñ‚Öaa                  
  xz­¨z­à  @ t z r e s . d l l , - 2 1 2                                                   @ t z r e s . d l l , - 2 1 1                                             Äÿÿÿ    GC«¸í‚Ö|Ú     é¦Àï‚Ö       P a c k a g e - M a n a g e r - C B S 2 6 4 8   C : \ l o g . t x t     ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

this file 832 KB in size so I only snipped a few lines for clarity. This was log.text. Two others were log.txt.dpx and another log.txt.perf. all with these y's.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Vista'erest said:

Checking windows update history is one way to authenticate the installation of a particular update, but I was wondering if there was any way of creating a cmd prompt or text file to see the installs in real time?

Dism++ works fine for installing updates in Vista

DISM++UPDATEVISTA5.jpg

DISM++UPDATEVISTA3.jpg

Edited by SIW2

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a internet archive mirror of this? Or is it exclusive to MEGA?

Also, using the command:

forfiles /p "C:\Users\greenhillmaniac\Downloads\General" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

Does that include subfolders? (say there's another folder with updates, does it include the ones in the other folder, or is it just the ones exclusively in the general folder?)