Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+)

greenhillmaniac

54 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Package Details at the Catalog say KB2712808 was replaced by KB3170455, and Package Details for the latter agree.

windows update found it after installing every update with dism++ :}

4 hours ago, winvispixp said:

windows update found it after installing every update with dism++ :}

I’m not sure what to make of that, particularly since Windows Update per se no longer works for Vista. Can you confirm that KB3170455 was already installed, and that KB2712808 was nevertheless applicable? Possibly related: KB3170455 was re-released for Server 2008 in September 2017 (but not “for Vista,” which was EOL by then). More information here. Looks like greenhillmaniac has that version as well, but it’s in the Server 2008 repository. :blink:

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I’m not sure what to make of that, particularly since Windows Update per se no longer works for Vista. Can you confirm that KB3170455 was already installed, and that KB2712808 was nevertheless applicable? Possibly related: KB3170455 was re-released for Server 2008 in September 2017 (but not “for Vista,” which was EOL by then). More information here. Looks like greenhillmaniac has that version as well, but it’s in the Server 2008 repository. :blink:

well...

i made a special vm just to test this and after checking for updates it no longer finds it (i do have kb3170455), but i can manually install it

last time i had the option for that patch "vista + server 2008" so i guess it was a bug?

yeah after installing the patch on the new vm and letting it search, first time set on just vista, and found nothing except language packs

the 2nd time i set it on vista + server 2008 (because if its set on just server 2008 it hangs) it hasnt found KB2712808 again, i don't understand what happened last time (i'm using the same updated iso i made myself)

a bit of off-topic: i know that this patch isn't "published" here but it kinda fits in

its a bit weird that it finds server 2008 updates that can be applied to my vm that are from 2008; 2012; 2013; 2015; 2016 (maybe they add something that vista wasn't supposed to get?:dubbio:)

also it doesn't find anything from 2020 (but maybe they are replaced every month, at least thats whats happening with kb5004874)

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Edited by winvispixp

nvm i dont know whats happening but found it again :crazy:

later edit: now that i thought for 2 mins... is it possible that the re-released version intended for server 2008 to break something and make vista think that its missing it?

Untitled3.png

Edited by winvispixp

5 hours ago, winvispixp said:

...its a bit weird that it finds server 2008 updates that can be applied to my vm that are from 2008; 2012; 2013; 2015; 2016...

also it doesn't find anything from 2020...

I cannot very well discuss alternative methods of updating that I never used (and are probably OT here). Microsoft probably has zero personnel assigned to ensuring that no unnecessary updates are delivered to XP and Vista users, but they might have someone working on ways to foil your efforts! Probably most Server 2008 SP2 updates were identical to their Vista counterparts, but Vista had more features. Server 2008 had Hyper-V, but updates for that should not be applicable to Vista.

Server 2008 reached EOL in January 2020, and subsequent updates are supposed to require an ESU license.

Include KB2712808 in your ISO if you wish, but I believe it is unnecessary.

• 1 month later...

Small update on the repository:

• Added proper IE9 EN-US installers files (gotten from the IE website from the Web Archive);
  • Added the OEM only Media Center TV Pack and Wireless Feature Pack (the last one isn't needed if you use SP2);
  • Added Net Framework 3.5 installers (can't believe I missed their absence);

4 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Added the OEM only Media Center TV Pack 

That was only for Home Premium and Ultimate systems with Media Center. Some thought it could not be installed on a system that was already running SP2 (it dates back to 2008), but I successfully did so in 2015 and used it until Microsoft pooped the party (see Windows Media Center EPG ending in January 2020). It’s hard to think of a good reason to install it in 2021, unless some bright person wants to solve the EPG dilemma. It did add support for Clear QAM, which could be useful if your North American cable provider does not encrypt basic channels. It did not add support for h264, but I believe there was a hack that only worked for x86.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 8:59 PM, Jimz said:

Hello GHM, I am new at doing this sort of thing; how do I set this up to where I can install the cab files. I see all of these commands, but I am having problems, since I do not know exactly what is being shown or how to implement it step by step related to what is shown in the comments and replies. Thank, you for you time...

I think, it's important do disable all antivirus software before you try to install anything!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, legacyfan said:

thanks to @greenhillmaniac for this wonderfully update pack its helped me and other members on here alot with keeping vista up to date without you vista would be dead already

My Dism is killing me, can it be that there is something wrong with the program itself? What is the latest version of Dism++, and where would it be better to download it from?

3 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

My Dism is killing me, can it be that there is something wrong with the program itself? What is the latest version of Dism++, and where would it be better to download it from?

here is the github page for the project https://github.com/Chuyu-Team/Dism-Multi-language it should have the latest release listed there 

28 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

here is the github page for the project https://github.com/Chuyu-Team/Dism-Multi-language it should have the latest release listed there 

I just downloaded it from there - the same issue! They only had beta version of the one I've been using (10.1.1002.1). Maybe the one I was using was also beta because the website I've gotten it from didn't specify if it was, thus they both have the same issue?

Edited by trancer03