Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+)

greenhillmaniac

1 hour ago, hjaiak12 said:

Is there a internet archive mirror of this? Or is it exclusive to MEGA?

So far I have it on Mega and my external HDD. Don't know if I can put in on Archive.org

1 hour ago, hjaiak12 said:

Does that include subfolders? (say there's another folder with updates, does it include the ones in the other folder, or is it just the ones exclusively in the general folder?)

If you want to include subfolders just add the /s switch to forfiles.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Don't know if I can put in on Archive.org

Didn't someone put a backup of the XP x64 WSUS Offline ISO a while back? It should be okay, while IA is sometimes a treasure trove of piracy (for a lot of people tbh excepting Wayback Machine) it's also got its moments of legally great backed up stuff like well, this eventually.

I kinda think this stuff and up to whenever they altered the build number to 6003, could be integrated into an unofficial Service Pack 3 (at the least, the Main/Security/Hotfixes) and then the remainder of updates up to Jan.2020 in a "SP4". Bloating it out with crap like the XP SP4 project did that is generally up to the user to decide like the .NET Frameworks would be against advisory IMO.

@greenhillmaniac I got some crucial questions to you. I got Windows Vista Home Basic SP2

1. Is it necessary to install the KB947821 before your updates ?

2. Does it make a difference to install your updates in random order?  Is that correct > General > Net Framework > Security > Hotfixes > etc. 

3. Does it make sense to install some Windows Server 2008 updates after your updates post #1: https://mega.nz/folder/txxRyLzC#1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

4. Where can I find download links for up-to-date ISO images of Windows Vista

Thank you. 

Edited by whiteindian

1 hour ago, whiteindian said:

1. Is it necessary to install the KB947821 before your updates ?

Is that the System Update Readiness Tool? I think you only need that if you have trouble installing updates. If your system was freshly installed, there's no need.

2. Does it make a difference to install your updates in random order?  Is that correct > General > Net Framework > Security > Hotfixes > etc. 

I usually go: Platform Update + Suplement > Internet Explorer 9 > Net Framework 3.5, 4.6 and updates > Powershell 2.0 + BITS 4.0 > Media Player 11 > General > Security > Hotfixes
The idea is to install as many updated components as possible before moving on to the General, Security, etc updates. That way, the updates will cover a wider range of software.

3. Does it make sense to install some Windows Server 2008 updates after your updates post #1: https://mega.nz/folder/txxRyLzC#1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

I'd say so, yeah. The main one would be the TLS 1.1 and 1.2 updates, but you can also add the SHA2 updates (they do make Windows Update non functional, but @abbodi1406 managed to make it work regardless. go to MDL and you'll find it)

4. Where can I find download links for up-to-date ISO images of Windows Vista

In here you won't find any. It's usually best if you create your own.

• 3 months later...

Hello GHM, I am new at doing this sort of thing; how do I set this up to where I can install the cab files. I see all of these commands, but I am having problems, since I do not know exactly what is being shown or how to implement it step by step related to what is shown in the comments and replies. Thank, you for you time...

Make sure you have first downloaded all the cab files - you can leave them in the Vista downloads folder but you'll find it easier to create a subfolder for those cabs - call the folder "cab downloads" (without quotations) and move all the cabs into that folder.

IMPORTANT: In your explorer address bar at top, highlight and COPY the address to where you moved your cab files  ie: C:\Users\Jimz\Downloads\cab downloads

You will be posting this address in your "cmd" prompt later to direct where your downloaded cab files are

After copying the cab files location, you want to finally run your "cmd" with an administrative privilege.

click start - all programs - accessories - command prompt (run as administrator).

copy and paste these commands (make sure your path to update folder is correct)

- the following is appreciated as per credit to GHM:

To BULK install updates, I usually run the following set of commands:

forfiles /p <path to update folder> /m *.cab /c "cmd /c mkdir @fname"

forfiles /p <path to update folder> /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

The first command creates a folder for each individual update and the second one installs each update and extracts onto each created folder.
Here's a practical example. Say, I have all of the updates from the repository located in my Downloads folder inside my user profile. In this case, I want to install every update in the "General" folder. I'd use the commands above like so:

forfiles /p "C:\Users\Jimz\Downloads\cab downloads" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c mkdir @fname"

forfiles /p "C:\Users\Jimz\Downloads\cab downloads" /m *.cab /c "cmd /c pkgmgr /ip /m:@file /s:@fname /norestart"

I'd recommend you install no more than 200 updates at a time. This can also be used to create an updated Vista ISO for later use (tutorial coming soon™)

Anyway, here's the link for the repository 

https://mega.nz/folder/MgBRSKKK#rDcZY60CQ7uWMRUcagT4EQ

• 2 months later...

Oh man I am so glad you happened to do this. I find it quite funny that it's been the easiest to find a complete repo of updates for Vista (the OS seemingly everyone hated) as opposed to XP.

Oh well though, on to finding XP and Office 2007 updates!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

KB2712808 is missing from your repository

found it after checking for updates 

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB2712808 windows vista

Package Details at the Catalog say KB2712808 was replaced by KB3170455, and Package Details for the latter agree.