A Youtube Downloader for Windows 9x?

FantasyAcquiesce

Hey MSFN,
Does such a thing exist on the web? We have the Youtube video helper, but I am hoping for just a direct video downloader for legacy systems because 9x is limited by both its wireless cards (I think?) and lack of modern web browsers. Is there any youtube downloader that is still compatible with Windows 9x or 2000?

If not, I am hoping to maybe create one (that is, if I can learn how to)...

With KernelEx installed  you can run the latest youtube-dl script source on Python 2.7.

More conveniently and less involved you could use the standalone youtube-dl exe I built with py2exe (there wasn't a 9x compatible one since 2016) last week:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178283-how-you-really-browse-the-web-on-98me-in-2019/?do=findComment&comment=1185074

There are a number a GUIs for it online which should work fine with it or it can be fairly easily integrated into Opera 12 (via links popup menu and/or page background Open With submenu via StartMenuInternet registry key).

For another solution there is also JDownloader 2 Portable which requires Java 7 or 8 and has a slow startup. It can be integrated in Opera 12 too as above.

Edited by loblo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It should be possible to use SuperKoko's Win9x/NT python 2.6 / 2.7 builds

I made a quick test with latest youtube-dl but could not make it work for some reasons.

Probably this python 2.7 build is buggy, but maybe has still potential with modified youtube-dl.

• 8 months later...

By the way, I also use clipconverter for downloading, but it loads without music. You need to find some suitable software, I recently did a transfer from PC to phone using softorino, maybe you can find software for downloading videos with music. There's just the first day you can use for free.