Beware RX series gpu

Rodney Dawn

made the mistake of buying a rx 550 gpu only to discover the drivers are incompatible with windows 7 despite the listing *newegg) saying 7 was supported.  Apparently all rx series, and vega series have this problem of no drivers for 7.  Had to RMA the card, and am ordering a second r9 390x for crossfire instead.  I expected better of AMD.  R9 390x is the best AMD gpu that still supports 7.  Now I'm wondering if perhaps nvidia has something stronger with full support for 7.  If not then I'll just stick with crossfire'd 390's for this fx9350 machine.  Seriously, running 7 is getting to be as hard finding compatible hardware as it was running ME (the whole reason I finally gave 7 a try was to use modern hardware).  Now the only real point is modern browser TLS support, for the moment at least.    Should have figured as much though, 7 is essentially the new Windows ME (or 98se to those who had issues with ME) as in, it's stable, relatively efficient (as windows goes), and power-user friendly (though not as much as 9x). so naturally M$ wants pwople to stop using it, cause they caint make as much money off a stable os.   Its all just a stupid moneygrab.  ME wasn't broke, and neither is 7, they didn't need replacing.   A few service pack updates would be one thing, but 8/8.1 and 10 are the stupidest ideas ms ever made.  bloated, spyware ridden, actually built into the core, and just plain garbage.   even buggy old 95 is better than 10.  7 (and vista) made sense, as it would have took a complete rewrite of everything to make 9x multicore capable, but everything after 7 is just a waste, (and XP was a resource hog for the hardware of the day. ''most'' reasonably affordable systems that would run XP, would run ME (or 98se) twice as fast.  Only once high-clocked multicore chips became the norm rather than the expensive, (and by then Vista was out) was there a practical need for a home user NT based system.   (low clocked ''cheap'' multicores were better suited to low end NT workstations than for home users, as even on a multicore capable os, most games and DVD video playback) wersingle threaded-meaning ghz was more important, and a fast AthlonXP or Prescott P4 on ME would easily outrun a early A64 or core2 on XP in those areas, as none of the multicore chips of the time could match the ghz needed for single thread programs like that.  (I dont count the prescott's hyperthreading capability as multicore, as it wasn't a true dual-core chip, but even a a prescott making use of hyperthreading on XP was still held back by the lack of apps which benefit from it, and the added weight of the os. (9x being lighter, was still faster except in rare apps which were meant to take advantage of hyperthreading on NT systems).  It wasn't until mid vista/early win7 beta era that multithreading really took off, and even then a lot of the apps were only optimized for two cores.   Thats actually the one thing that could have made 7 even better, is if they had included a built-in 3d-accelerated VM where you could switch to "Windows ME mode" for compatibility with 9x apps (at least Radeon 9xxx or FX6800 level graphics support) and maybe even 95c/Rage Pro 3d mode as well for really picky dos apps. (the VM creates a ramdrive in the lower 32 bit address space, passes core 0 through to the 9x os directly, core 1 emulates the graphics chip, core 2 emulates any peripherals that need older versions instead of just passed through, (like Soundblaster 16 instead of passing through ac97) while others like usb2 could simply be passed through (ME) or emulated as 1.1 for 95c.  and core3 handles emulating floppy support, and either emulating a dvd drive if one is not on the host machine, or passing through (translating SATA data into ATA133 in the process). if one is present.  Such an emulator being integrated into 7 would be the only thing that would make it better. (Aside from manufacturers writing drivers for modern hardware for 7 that is.). 

apologies for rambling, it just really ticks me off to have paid so much for a graphics card, only to have to send it back, but such is the case, as I will never ''downgrade'' to 10.   

• 2 months later...

I also use an RX 580, but specifically the Sapphire model that has the BIOS switch. At the time I was researching for a new video card, I was only able to find that Sapphire sold cards with 8 GB and supported legacy. The other brands (and still some of Sapphire's) were UEFI only. That doesn't make a difference in regards to drivers, but for viability on a Win7 legacy system in general.