Windows Server 2012 R2 on Surface Pro 6 not detecting networks.

GD 2W10

Hello,
I have a Surface Pro 6 and Windows 8.1 did not work on there, so I installed Windows Server 2012 R2 (which is the server version of 8.1). I have tried to install the network driver for 8.1, but I get an error saying "The system cannot find the file specified". Snappy Driver Installer did not detect the driver.

Here is the hardware info:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0008&REV_00
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0008
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&CC_0200
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&REV_00
PCI\VEN_11AB&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_11AB&CC_0200
PCI\VEN_11AB
PCI\CC_020000&DT_0
PCI\CC_020000
PCI\CC_0200&DT_0
PCI\CC_0200

12 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

That is the one I tried, I tried that one again, and I got the same error, "The system cannot find the file specified.".

No other reference?

I mean the file name, an error number, etc.?

I have no idea if there is something in server 2012 needing particular attention if installing 8.1 drivers, but that driver seems like needing another subsystem, in the .inf:

Include         = netvwifibus.inf
Needs           = VWiFiBus.CopyFiles

I have seen other similar reports about this, *like*:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-not-installing-for-wi-fi-adapter/4c143a9b-ce66-4902-a1e5-e3ec4620e31f

of course with everyone spewing nonsense about the issue or providing non-help.

It is clear that for *some reasons* the netwifibus. inf (and the VWiFiBus.sys, etc.) are not installed or are not available on your PC, but these should be standard (at least in 7/8/8.1/10) Microsoft files. :unsure:

jaclaz

9 hours ago, jaclaz said:

No other reference?

I mean the file name, an error number, etc.?

I have no idea if there is something in server 2012 needing particular attention if installing 8.1 drivers, but that driver seems like needing another subsystem, in the .inf:

Here is some more info:

setupapi.dev.log

Edited by GD 2W10

Well, than that seems another reason:

!!!  sig:                     Driver package INF file hash is not present in catalog file. Filename = mrvlpcie8897.inf, Error = 0xE000024B
!!!  sig:                     Driver package appears to be tampered, and Code Integrity is enforced.
!!!  sig:                     Driver package failed signature validation. Error = 0xE000024B
     sto:                {DRIVERSTORE IMPORT VALIDATE: exit(0xe000024b)} 16:45:39.602
!!!  sig:                Driver package failed signature verification. Error = 0xE000024B
!!!  sto:                Failed to import driver package into Driver Store. Error = 0xE000024B
     sto:           {Stage Driver Package: exit(0xe000024b)} 16:45:39.618
     sto:      {Setup Import Driver Package - exit (0xe000024b)} 16:45:39.618
!!!  inf:      Failed to import driver package into driver store
!!!  inf:      Error 0xe000024b: The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering.

You will probably need to disable Code integrity/ enable Testsigning.

Before that, try with other (older) drivers:

https://www.drvhub.net/devices/network/marvell/avastar-wireless-ac-network-controller

jaclaz

• 6 months later...

Have you enabled wireless network support on server manager? Open up server manager go to add roles and features. Skip roles part on feature tab select wireless network support. By default windows server got wireless network support disabled. Also after enabling it make sure wireless adapter is enabled on bios and windows device manager

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 1:56 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Have you enabled wireless network support on server manager? Open up server manager go to add roles and features. Skip roles part on feature tab select wireless network support. By default windows server got wireless network support disabled. Also after enabling it make sure wireless adapter is enabled on bios and windows device manager

I figured that out and it worked for me.