Finally moved to 7 but some issues

sunryze

First point, my Xbox One controller worked great on bluetooth right out of the box. Never did before.

Some problems,

- Login / Logout animation is clunky. Screen flashes alot, isnt a smooth fade

- Power usage is REALLY high, on W10 idle its 70w, Linux is 60, and on 7, its 125W idle. 125W is what I got gaming on 10.

- Sleep takes a long time to get into

Any way to fix these issues?

Knowing your hardware specs would help, off the bat.

Login/logout animations aren't the smoothest on any configuration I'm afraid, that's just kind of a design flaw. But poorly optimized display drivers can further aggregate that. What GPU and drivers are you using?

Power usage is a tough one to tackle. You didn't mention what power plan/power saving features you were using with W10, though. You'd need to be using similar settings to compare. But from memory, I think 10 softlocks the lower tier 'Balanced' power mode. You can up that, but it's a bit hidden in the UI. Like the login fadeout, drivers can have an impact there too.

Sleep shouldn't take long at all if you're not using Radeon

psa, if you're booting from an SSD (which you most certainly should be doing), 7 and Vista do put a bit extra strain on i/o and consume more space than they should. This aggressive way of caching was designed to squeeze a bit of speed out of slow mechanical moving disks. This article has some great pointers to optimize some settings and gain some free space back. (10 has similar rubbish defaults, if not more taxing)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911-3.html

Edited by docR

• 3 weeks later...

Z370. RX 5700 XT. 16GB DDR4. NVMe SSD.

My friend who has an RX 580 does not have tha lag issue. If you are wondering, this is what it looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjWJbCCMDM7WERfxGpUmiiBAywucTElA/view?usp=sharing

I was using the latest Adrenalin 2020 drivers. My other Windows 7 era machine does not have this lag problem.

I am also working on getting it booting with full UEFI. Whenever I disable the vga driver, the AMD driver does not take over of the displays. I hear things, but the display still says "Starting Windows"

Sleep doesn't take long, it was an issue I previously had.

I have an Active Directory Domain. It pushes out power options equal to all my computers, so the power options between W10 and W7 are the same. The weird part is, my CPU and GPU on idle draw the same power as on W10 on idle, but I am still drawing more power from something.

It can be hard to find out, but it is possible your video card does not have a UEFI BIOS or support GOP. Post the model of your video card if you can't find out if it does.

I use a Sapphire RX 580, which I had to get because it has a BIOS switch between legacy and UEFI, and I am still using a legacy system. At the time, it was the only 8 GB video card I could find that supported legacy. Of course, having the switch means that I could use it on UEFI if/when I decide to go that route.

11 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

It can be hard to find out, but it is possible your video card does not have a UEFI BIOS or support GOP. Post the model of your video card if you can't find out if it does.

I use a Sapphire RX 580, which I had to get because it has a BIOS switch between legacy and UEFI, and I am still using a legacy system. At the time, it was the only 8 GB video card I could find that supported legacy. Of course, having the switch means that I could use it on UEFI if/when I decide to go that route.

My GPU 100% supports UEFI and GOP. If I set my UEFI setting to "Windows 8/10 WHQL" and disable CSM support, it uses my monitors full 1080p. I also see the GOP output settings there. I have the Gigabyte flavor of the RX 5700 XT. (Navi 10 XT)

On 8/27/2020 at 9:32 PM, Tonny52 said:

Z370. RX 5700 XT. 16GB DDR4. NVMe SSD.

My friend who has an RX 580 does not have tha lag issue. If you are wondering, this is what it looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjWJbCCMDM7WERfxGpUmiiBAywucTElA/view?usp=sharing

I was using the latest Adrenalin 2020 drivers. My other Windows 7 era machine does not have this lag problem.

Ah, I suspected Radeon. Radeon outside Windows 10 and Linux can be a mixed bag, but a friend and I decided Adrenalin 19.12 (with a RX 580) takes more kindly to 7 rn. Care to give that build a try and report back your experience with it?

On 9/1/2020 at 10:51 AM, docR said:

Ah, I suspected Radeon. Radeon outside Windows 10 and Linux can be a mixed bag, but a friend and I decided Adrenalin 19.12 (with a RX 580) takes more kindly to 7 rn. Care to give that build a try and report back your experience with it?

I just tried this driver. The UAC lag is definitely fixed and the logon / logoff lag is improved, but it is not a smooth fade, which it should be if it was "hardware accelerated"

On 9/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Tripredacus said:

Since you still haven't posted specs, I can only ask: is there any mechanical vs electrical considerations with the motherboard?

Specifically:
i5 8400
16GB DDR4
250GB Samsung NVMe SSD
Gigabyte flavor of AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

20 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Yes, the UAC lag you are experiencing is exactly what I was seeing.

That other issue, I have only experienced when something is capturing my screen. Has something to do with DWM. I also would look into figuring that out.

This is the logon / logoff lag I am meaning: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjWJbCCMDM7WERfxGpUmiiBAywucTElA/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Tonny52

On 9/3/2020 at 9:48 AM, Tripredacus said:

Gigabyte makes at least 3 video cards with that chip and you didn't post your motherboard make/model.

GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD

Gigabyte Z370-HD3

Edited by Tonny52

1 minute ago, Tonny52 said:

Yes, the UAC lag you are experiencing is exactly what I was seeing.

That other issue, I have only experienced when something is capturing my screen. Has something to do with DWM. I also would look into figuring that out.

This is the logon / logoff lag I am meaning: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjWJbCCMDM7WERfxGpUmiiBAywucTElA/view?usp=sharing

That other issue happens all the time for me, and only with AMD drivers, even after doing a fresh install.

I don't think I had the logon/logoff lag, but it's not really something I'd notice. But I have noticed my computer, when I use the card, froze for a second or two after getting to my desktop.

1 minute ago, Tonny52 said:

GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD

Same card model as me, before I had to RMA it, twice.

I think you should use the latest drivers, and report the issues both with the bug reporter, and on AMD's forums. If a new driver release doesn't fix it, report the issues again with the new driver release. Repeat until AMD makes good drivers.