Windows Update Error Code 80072EFD

TheRobster5555

Hi, I've just built kind of my dream 2008 PC and I've installed XP and Vista on it. I've gotten the XP side of things working fine, but I can't for the life of me get Windows Update to work on Vista. I've tried a few YouTube tutorials, but none seem to work, but feel free to post some of the easy answers in case I missed something.

Here's the specs if it helps anyone
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
4GB DDR2 800
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Adapter

EDIT: I tried updating my Ethernet driver off of the Microsoft Update website, and that didn't work, though the driver I downloaded was from 2011, but it seems that Intel isn't carrying any Vista drivers for any of their Ethernet products anymore. If anyone has an archive of an updated driver, that would be great.
EDIT 2: archive.org is a great website. Using some link copying I found a link for the Vista driver for this Ethernet controller, and while updating the driver still didn't fix the issue, I'll still post the link for archival purposes. https://web.archive.org/web/20181130184021/downloadmirror.intel.com/18718/eng/PROWinx64.exe
image.thumb.png.09fad383b7701190199cb8da1a88f79a.png

Edited by TheRobster5555

1 hour ago, TheRobster5555 said:

Hi, I've just built kind of my dream 2008 PC and I've installed XP and Vista on it. I've gotten the XP side of things working fine, but I can't for the life of me get Windows Update to work on Vista. I've tried a few YouTube tutorials, but none seem to work, but feel free to post some of the easy answers in case I missed something.

Here's the specs if it helps anyone
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
4GB DDR2 800
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Adapter

EDIT: I tried updating my Ethernet driver off of the Microsoft Update website, and that didn't work, though the driver I downloaded was from 2011, but it seems that Intel isn't carrying any Vista drivers for any of their Ethernet products anymore. If anyone has an archive of an updated driver, that would be great.
EDIT 2: archive.org is a great website. Using some link copying I found a link for the Vista driver for this Ethernet controller, and while updating the driver still didn't fix the issue, I'll still post the link for archival purposes. https://web.archive.org/web/20181130184021/downloadmirror.intel.com/18718/eng/PROWinx64.exe
image.thumb.png.09fad383b7701190199cb8da1a88f79a.png

the problem is https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4569557/windows-update-sha-1-based-endpoints-discontinued

2 hours ago, TheRobster5555 said:

Is there any way to fix this for Vista? I only see ways to make it work on 7.

Yes , get the SHA-2 Update from Server 2008 SP2 , but that is only one part of it , since its probably against forum rules i cannot say more but you can do your research. I did get it to work though on my end.

Edited by burd

So SIW2, you will only help new member TheRobster5555 if he creates an account at Blithering Blogspot where you are considered a guru? The world no longer needs multiple Windows Vista forums, and most of the advanced users are here at MSFN, so please decide where your loyalties lie. :angry:

Meanwhile, there was an interesting post at MSFN last night: https://msfn.org/board/topic/178377-on-decommissioning-of-update-servers-for-2000-xp-and-vista-as-of-july-2019/?do=findComment&comment=1185365

I can confirm vista is updating fine at the moment. I have just installed and updated ultimate.

I don't know if Robsterr tried running the 4 so called speedup updates. That might do it.

1 hour ago, SIW2 said:

I can confirm vista is updating fine at the moment. I have just installed and updated ultimate.

I don't know if Robsterr tried running the 4 so called speedup updates. That might do it.

Yeah the update servers have been back again, but who knows for how long.

I can confirm that the servers are back online, though I've installed an update rollup pack created by someone, and that seems to have gotten everything covered. The only thing that windows update found was the driver for the monitor. Thanks for all the help though!

Edited by TheRobster5555

12 hours ago, TheRobster5555 said:

I can confirm that the servers are back online, though I've installed an update rollup pack created by someone, and that seems to have gotten everything covered. The only thing that windows update found was the driver for the monitor. Thanks for all the help though!

Someone has made an update rollup pack for vista? I don't suppose you would care to let us know what and where that might be?

Edited by SIW2

20 minutes ago, SIW2 said:

Someone has made an update rollup pack for vista? I don't suppose you would care to let us know what and where that might be?

Perhaps he didnt due to forum rules and/or legal issues.

Edited by burd

It is now ca. 20:40 UTC, Aug 6th 2020, and Windows Update is again broken :realmad: here, in Windows Vista SP2 32-bit :( ...

When I opened the WU window I got:

M0p1RkZ.jpg

Notice that WU did last perform a successful check on Aug 6th 2020, 00:57 EEST (that was Aug 5th 21:57 UTC); as expected, the check had ended with a Windows is up to date message (-_-) ; when I click "Check for Updates", I end up with:

PoxWjA3.jpg

i.e. no dice, but with a different Error Code this time (80244019:(

Something similar happens when I manually check Windows Defender for updated definitions:

7dAo5CC.jpg

Normally, the manual check would return a "No updated definitions were found for Windows Defender" result (or something to that effect...), but now it quickly errors out like this:

kJ73qC7.jpg

I think we can say, with a fair degree of certainty, that WU on Vista IS DEAD...
Of course, there are various online articles pertaining to Windows Error 80244019 (or 0x80244019), e.g.

https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12473-how-to-fix-widows-update-error-code-80244019

which states:

A possible error that you might encounter is Windows Update error, code 80244019. This states that there was a problem checking for updates and that Windows could not search for new updates. This can occur when the Windows Update service fails to connect to the Windows server, so it is a Windows server problem or down to your computer system and configuration.

but in this case I think it is both a "Windows Server problem" (M$ shut the door to it, took it down, etc. :realmad:) as well as due to "computer system and configuration" (we have the Vista OS, which M$ vehemently wants to swipe off the face of the Earth...).

FWIW, I have WS2008 M$ updates installed that enable SHA-2 code-signing support:

jHp6vVO.jpg

so I had, at least, expected that I would still be able to connect to the newer SHA-2 WU endpoints, though, of course, nothing would come down from there, as Vista 6.0.6003 is detected (not being proper Vista SP2 & not being proper WS2008 SP2) and fenced off... :realmad:

PS: KB4474419 is v4 ; please also notice that the last thing ever WU fetched on this machine (then at version 6.0.6002) was a WD def update, on July 6th 2019; after that date, nada ! :}

EDIT:

5 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

Database was deleted. RIP.

Edited by VistaLover

On 8/5/2020 at 5:20 PM, SIW2 said:

Pre EOL Vista updates can still be downloaded via windows patch loader as of this minute.

Sadly, not the case anymore... :realmad: :(

R9lwm8R.jpg

OTOH, it does search Microsoft Update Catalog successfully and filters out 361 updates (mostly in .cab format); but the filter is probably windows6.0 (not Vista), so that number (361) includes a mixture of both Vista+WS2008 applicable files; if you sort the results by date, you'll find post VistaEOL files targeting (by default) WS2008SP2

dJJ59G2.jpg

It's not ideal hence, but still it could prove useful... :dubbio:

On an OT note, the app's window is NOT resizable, which I consider a major faux-pas... :whistle:

Using windows patch loader to check for updates ( or currently installed updates ) requires that WU is working properly.

If you don't have the 4 speedups, or any other problem with WU - you will get the the HRESULT code. You will get also the same HRESULT if no intermet connection

Checking the catalog with windows patch loader at this moment reveals updates from 2007 are there and can be downloaded. I have just checked in the last couple of minutes.

Edited by SIW2