Soon we'll only have cut and paste left as features...

BYTE-ME

Looking at the recent list of removed or deprecated features in Windows 10  got me thinking about why I almost never upgrade Microsoft products anymore. Microsoft, and many aother developers, increasingly seem to want more money for less functionality. What happened to improving the ReFS file system and making it ready for prime time? Countless other useful features are discussed but rarely implemented. there have been nearly a half dozen iterations of Microsoft Office since 2007 yet they show little real innovation. As a result, I still use Word and Outlook 2003 to retain the ability to pipe RSS feeds into Outlook or create a Microsoft word letter inside Outlook with the address field automatically populated with the Outlook contact of my choice.  All this was removed from later versions of Word and Outlook The knee jerk response to security challenges today is to deprecate, not fix features.  I get that security is a big issue these days. But eliminating useful features is not the way to combat the issue. Remember when you could launch an application with a webrowser hyperlink? No can do in 2020. Why can't developers work on better ways to insure that only the user's commands are executed and not the instructions of some malware or hacker. This can't be rocket science.        

Soon we'll only have cut and paste left as features...

... but soon there will be a twist to it :w00t:, you cut, then - semi-randomly, in average once every ten cuts - the clipboard contents may be left alone or be either deleted or replaced with the sentence "Windows 10 has great features, thank you for using it." before you paste.

This  will be no end of fun, adding a gambling/entertaining side to everyday work ... ;)

jaclaz  

Yes, commericial video ads on PCs and text messages to your phone when you logon will be the next big "innovation".  I can hear them now: "Let's see how we can monetize 2-factor authentication." :D

• 1 month later...

When did .NET 4.0 come out again? lol

This is what "mobile first" causes, treating most of Generation Z those people on the same level as those actually willing to do anything with their hardware and software - a culture purely focused on making it more convenient for the former to lose even more of their mind, and anyone else to want to be even more stubborn about change.

Edited by MintChocAero

On 8/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, BYTE-ME said:

Looking at the recent list of removed or deprecated features in Windows 10  got me thinking about why I almost never upgrade Microsoft products anymore. Microsoft, and many aother developers, increasingly seem to want more money for less functionality. What happened to improving the ReFS file system and making it ready for prime time? Countless other useful features are discussed but rarely implemented. there have been nearly a half dozen iterations of Microsoft Office since 2007 yet they show little real innovation.

Office 2010 was the best version, IMO. It went downhill quickly after that. 2007 and older doesn't have all the features I need anyways. I like 2010 the best.

As a result, I still use Word and Outlook 2003 to retain the ability to pipe RSS feeds into Outlook or create a Microsoft word letter inside Outlook with the address field automatically populated with the Outlook contact of my choice.  All this was removed from later versions of Word and Outlook

Sadly, it's a delicate balance. There's a lot in Office 2010 that's not in Office 2003.

I still use Outlook for everything non-email related, but for email I use Roytam1's "MailNews". It's by far a superior mail client, though it has its quirks, too. Outlook is just too non-standards compliant and limited to be useful for power email users. And I used to be Outlook's #1 fan.

The knee jerk response to security challenges today is to deprecate, not fix features.  I get that security is a big issue these days. But eliminating useful features is not the way to combat the issue. Remember when you could launch an application with a webrowser hyperlink? No can do in 2020. Why can't developers work on better ways to insure that only the user's commands are executed and not the instructions of some malware or hacker. This can't be rocket science.        

It's very sad. Daylight savings reminders, simultaneous preview/details panes, Windows Briefcase. Where are they in Windows 10? Oh, that's right, GONE!!!! :realmad:

You know Microsoft screw up when Windows 10 users are upgrading to Windows 7...