windows 2000 sp4 usb installation under haswell qm87

cov3rt

i am having trouble figuring out how to install windows 2000 sp4 via usb installation under a haswell qm87 chipset. i used a software to prepare the usb storage device with windows 2000 sp4 burned onto it. i have used the program before and was able to install windows 2000 sp4 via usb, however, for this system, it does not seem to work, but i don't know if it's because i didn't follow the instructions properly and / or the laptop simply doesn't like windows 2000. 

the usb device was formatted as NTFS default allocation size of 4096 MB before i used the software to burn it onto the usb. for bios settings, i tried various different ways, uefi enabled / disabled with cms support, with or without usb 3.0 enabled, etc. i also removed the storage device to see if i can figure out a more specific issue, apparently the usb doesn't even get detected when the actual windows 2000 setup portion begins, because when i try to press f5, f6, f2, f8, f10, etc, nothing happens, also it of course just hangs on the setup is loading windows 2000 part. there is also a compatibility mode for the sata controllers, ahci or compatibility, but that wouldn't matter if the usb isn't being detected in the first place. 

what i did notice is that the usb software says no driver found, no matching pci ids in driverpack.ini. 

i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, maybe perhaps a different way of burning onto a usb / formatting options, etc, and / or maybe additional slipstreaming? maybe i need to slipstream a specific usb 3.0 package? 

Now that you mentioned it, I tested my w2k intall CD on my Latitude e6540 to see what happens.  In legacy mode it proceeded, examined my machine and asked to reformat c:\ drive, which is an SSD card.  I stopped there.

So, there is hope for your project.  I installed ahci-enabled XP on the same machine, and it functions.

17 hours ago, 789 said:

Now that you mentioned it, I tested my w2k intall CD on my Latitude e6540 to see what happens.  In legacy mode it proceeded, examined my machine and asked to reformat c:\ drive, which is an SSD card.  I stopped there.

So, there is hope for your project.  I installed ahci-enabled XP on the same machine, and it functions.

yeh but what type of w2k install cd did you use? was it a custom one, SP4 version, etc? also, you didn't mention any other bios settings, and by legacy mode, i'm assuming you mean it was a bios setting for allowing the drive to be detected as an ide device? the only thing i can think of is for some reason that i'm not noticing / seeing, the usb installation is not compatible with newer / certain chipsets, at least, i only tested the usb way one time before and it worked, however, i don't remember what exact chipset i tested on or the exact setup, but i do know it wasn't newer than any of the core 2 duo based systems. 

the bigger issue is not being able to find some kind of bootable usb partition manager ( all of them were paid ) so that perhaps i could format the drive as MBR based device, at least, from what i read somewhere, it might have been a reason for why the device is not being detected? but would that mean that blank drives ( drives you obtain in brand new conditions at least ) are MBR formatted from the beginning? but i think i read somewhere too that the windows built in format tool would automatically format to MBR, but i don't know if this is true or not.

also, if i didn't mention, i also tried the "compatibility" mode in bios from before, instead of "AHCI", but it didn't make any difference, as soon as the bootable usb fired up into it's application, it immediately mentioned of not detecting any storage device, and even selecting the manual detection options had made no difference. usb itself was working in the setup portion, as i was able to hit fn+f5, f6, f7, etc, and i also tried the standard pc option, but it made no difference, either it would hang on setup is starting windows 2000 part, or it would give the stop error of inaccessible boot device. 

My w2k install cd contains sp4.  I made it years ago, using Fred Vorck's instructions.

By "legacy" mode I meant ATA.  As it is my laptop is set to legacy boot, for the sake of dual booting.

"inaccessible boot device" means your w2k doesn't like the type of partition.  Have you tried making a 2000mb FAT partition ?

Edited by 789

the storage device currently has windows 7 installed with the entire drive partitioned as one, so it does not seem that i can tinker with it, at least, from using disk management, i was not able to create another specific volume, and how would i go about making a fat 2000 MB partition? maybe windows 7 recovery disc command prompt portion with diskpart if i'm choosing to wipe the drive to install windows 2000 from scratch, can perhaps format a individual partition in either fat or fat32? at least, i tried to format the drive in fat32 as a method before giving up to install windows 7, it said it couldn't, because the storage size was too much? but i find that odd, because isn't fat32 able to use up to 2 TB? at least, that's what google just said right now of searching. 

anyways, i found an idea that might work, which would require me to wipe the storage device ( would need to do so anyways to install windows 2000 ), and in windows 7 setup, delete the drive completely, reboot into the setup again, create a new partition, then use diskpart to format that specific partition into fat32 of no more than 32 GB, then when installing 2K, assuming it is able to detect the drive now, then delete the 32 GB partition and partition the entire drive ( 223 GB ) ?

Edited by cov3rt

Attached pictures might explain your USB predicament.

Dell Latitude e6540:

I removed SSD card and replaced HDD;  changed BIOS to "ATA."  Using my trusted w2k CD, started the procedure.  It went well until first picture occured.  W2k checked hard drive, gave the option to partition, format, etc.  The installation completed ---the usbhub20.sys is actually installed where it should be.  Following reboot blue screen showed up.

It seems w2k does not know what to do with the USB that is in these machines.  In my opinion, lack of USB should not be a reason for blue screen, but we know that Microsoft is always looking for excuse for blue screen.

So, before anything else, we need a usbhub20.sys that functions in 2013.

Then I would like to see if you can find a video driver.

(until installation got to usbhub20.sys, usb mouse actually functioned)

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/20597937/Does-Windows-2000-support-USB-V2-0.html

Edited by 789

does your 2K SP4 install cd have the custom "USB.IN_" file? i have no way of knowing if this fixes the usb related issues, however, maybe you can modify your installation cd with nlite to include the modified usb file below. i uploaded in the other thread below, mentioned in the 5th post. 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181573-win2k-fully-patched-iso/

Learning from other people's trials, I deleted usbhub20.sys.  W2k started up.  Applied chipset update provided by Intel.  Then updated the usb drivers using the chipset drivers provided by DriverPacks.  Now usb mouse works, memory stick doesn't.  Realtek HD audio works.  There is no video driver.

2 hours ago, 789 said:

Learning from other people's trials, I deleted usbhub20.sys.  W2k started up.  Applied chipset update provided by Intel.  Then updated the usb drivers using the chipset drivers provided by DriverPacks.  Now usb mouse works, memory stick doesn't.  Realtek HD audio works.  There is no video driver.

do you know which exact intel chipset inf update you used? for video driver, you'll likely need either the extended kernel or unofficial update rollup v11 installed from beforehand, however, due to certain pre-reqs, and what have you, it's unclear what to install and when. i do not use the "extended core", but i do use the unofficial update rollup v11 that allows installing / using newer applications, such as kmeleon 76. it's a bit confusing, because there are these newer intel chipset inf updates up to haswell, yet you have this usb problem on these newer systems, what am i missing here? 

according to your experience, it seems that the newest or at least "newer" intel inf update packages wouldn't cause usb related issues if you had deleted the usbhub20.sys in your case at least. but in terms of solutions and what to do is all of over the place, as the method i linked has not been confirmed or has it?. 9.4.2.1019 PV is the newest intel inf update package i was able to find with mention of windows 2000 support in the readme. honestly, i would rather go with the modified usb file way slipstreamed, with the assumption that inf updates wouldn't mess anything up. 

btw, you can get the unofficial update rollup v11 from here "http://sdfox7.com/2000/Important_EOL_Updates/Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20141130-x86-ENU.7z"

as for haswell 4th generation intel graphics ( specifically for intel hd 4600 ), you might be limited to uni vga display driver, as i think intel hd 4000 is the last unofficial versions to work. 

Edited by cov3rt

There is now graphics (to my surprise)

vbem, I discovered that w2k legacy driver works, I just need to copy the .inf file into that directory.  And it is 1920x1080.  Since I don't let windows go online, I could almost use the machine, running w2k;  but why ?

I tried on that uu rollup.  There is some good in it, but I should be allowed to pick what to upgrade (and I would like to know what I am updating and why).  As it is, following the "update," file explorer is unable to copy and paste (that startup picture is awful), OS can now see four cores;  vbem's PnP driver works;  no memory stick, no SDcard, no USB CD-drive.

I am now trying to modify the w2k server install source, using Fred Vorck's method, to make it IE-less.

First, run Intel's chipset package for QM87, then update those USB drivers: from the chipset packs pick the "I" directory and install both windows and intel drivers

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86/chipset/12.09

usbhub20.sys is re-installed, but it is causing no more problem;  now usb mouse functions.  Interestingly, under NT 4, usb mouse functions out-of-the-box.

====================

late development:

We now have USB, memory stick, external CD.  (eventually I might just learn how to install an operating system)

Edited by 789
progress

4 hours ago, 789 said:

There is now graphics (to my surprise)

vbem, I discovered that w2k legacy driver works, I just need to copy the .inf file into that directory.  And it is 1920x1080.  Since I don't let windows go online, I could almost use the machine, running w2k;  but why ?

I tried on that uu rollup.  There is some good in it, but I should be allowed to pick what to upgrade (and I would like to know what I am updating and why).  As it is, following the "update," file explorer is unable to copy and paste (that startup picture is awful), OS can now see four cores;  vbem's PnP driver works;  no memory stick, no SDcard, no USB CD-drive.

I am now trying to modify the w2k server install source, using Fred Vorck's method, to make it IE-less.

First, run Intel's chipset package for QM87, then update those USB drivers: from the chipset packs pick the "I" directory and install both windows and intel drivers

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86/chipset/12.09

usbhub20.sys is re-installed, but it is causing no more problem;  now usb mouse functions.  Interestingly, under NT 4, usb mouse functions out-of-the-box.

====================

late development:

We now have USB, memory stick, external CD.  (eventually I might just learn how to install an operating system)

the intel hd 4600 is identical to the hd 4000, it might be possible to get it working, at least partially with using the unofficial blackwingcat's intel driver that supports the hd 4000, the only differences that i was able to check was the hd 4600 has slightly faster clock / memory speeds, if using the hd 4000 driver, i'd assume it'd work, just not to it's full performance. i can search my files for the link if you're interested in testing it out.

i gave up on the 2k usb install btw, after many frustrating and stressful hours, i finally went and reinstalled windows 7. the drive simply would not get picked up by grub4dos / winsetupfromusb's boot manager, regardless of whether i used AHCI or compatibility mode options in bios, and other various ways that are difficult enough to explain. i used winsetupfromusb 1.9, 1.8, as well as an older version, i don't remember which exact one, i think it was 1.0.7? the winsetupfromusb did seem to have a similar issue with an amd build, but it was at least detected in the early boot manager phase. 

on a core 2 duo laptop, it was able to go straight to partition portion of windows 2000 setup, without any problems with using AHCI in bios, so the only thing that is most logical is to simply not go through the mess of usb install. in other words, either install via cd drive, and / or do not use usb 3.0 / haswell or newer if you plan on only using usb setup. also forgot the mention if i haven't already, but the f5 / f6 option, selecting standard pc, also made no difference, other than quickly bypassing the delay of setup is starting windows 2000, and giving the stop 0007b error inaccessible boot device. 

Edited by cov3rt

Using Fred Vorck's package I modified and eliminated IE from w2k advanced server install files. Gives the w2k pro boot logo, in the registry ProductType is WinNT (as opposed to serverNT) but it sees four cores and four threads. Indicating, once again, that registry declarations are the only difference between server and workstation.