SSD toolkit for XP

kasfruit

what good SSD can we purchase now for XP ?? do we have to purchase 5 years old SSD's that will be hard to find ??

now a 120GB SSD does cost less than a 64GB USB memory stick so it's a good time to get some.

I have checked all mainstream SSD manufacturers websites and downloaded their SSD optimizing tool but it doesn't run on XP.

they don't even have a link for the legacy versions

the Kingston website says that its tool works from W8 and up however I installed it with no issues

Kingston is not my first priority nor am I sure their utility with a vintage looking has support for TRIM

I know there are some after market tools for SSD but I think they will not be as good as the original one from the SSD manufacturer

I can understand that a recent SSD won't be well optimized with an old version of the optimization software but I am afraid it does not even detect it !!! :thumbdown

more details. I came across to this.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_ssd_magician.html

''I purchased Samsung EVO 860 Sata for Lenovo R61 Win XP Pro sp3 notebook.
The latest version of Samsung Magician (5.x.x) refuses to install under Windows XP.
The former version of Magician (4.9.5?) installs under Win XP but does not recognize EVO 860 SATA SSD as Samsung product.
Catch 22???''

I think the simplest answer is usually "use hardware that is designed for the OS you're using".

For instance, I got a Samsung EVO 840 (when that was the latest) and the Magician worked fine with my computer AFAIR! (It was also an IBM ThinkPad, co-incidentally)

Edited by ThomasW

On 7/31/2020 at 12:22 AM, kasfruit said:

The latest version of Samsung Magician (5.x.x) refuses to install under Windows XP.

Samsung Magician 5.x.x works if you have One Core API installed.

Edited by Ximonite

I'm on XP Pro with a laptop...and i have a Samsung Evo 850 SSD on here for a few years now, and it's been just fine for me. Never have had any sort of problems with it yet. I run that "trim" thing on the Samsung magician software once in awhile.

0MGNFPD.png

and tempature seems pretty good for it (the SSD) ..usually is always at about 102 degrees on average, 108 max on load.

Edited by kuja killer

18 hours ago, kuja killer said:

I'm on XP Pro with a laptop...and i have a Samsung Evo 850 SSD on here for a few years now, and it's been just fine for me.

if a SSD supports garbage collection I could live without TRIM even though it will bring its lifespan and performance down.

the problem comes down to SSD firmware updates and 99% of manufacturers do not make them available for download so you can't use 3rd party tools

the last supported version of Magician is 4.9.6 or maybe 4.9.7...

can you still download the latest firmware releases for the 850 EVO or do the Samsung servers detect the Magician 4.9 too old and as such it doesn't allow you to download them ????

is it necessary to hit the TRIM button when using W7-W10 or it just does it automatically ????

I've never once updated the magician software ever before, and not the ssd's own firmware either, it says the firmware is already the latest apparently.

And i just originally installed the software straight from the CD which says uhhh.. version 4.5.1.65 when hovering mouse over the exe

18 hours ago, Dave-H said:

FWIW Sandisk SSD Toolkit v1 works fine on XP, if you have Sandisk SSDs.
Not sure whether it will recognise other brands, all my SSDs are Sansisk.

I was more interested on the WD Blue line which appears to be an improved version of the Sandisk series

as for the toolkit v1 can you confirm it will recognize any of the current Sandisk SSD's ?

I have been reading the intel SSD toolbox releases notes I haven't found a similar doc for other toolkits though

you can see that older SSD are still getting NAND optimized but it's unclear if those improvements are included in the firmware file or it's part of the toolkit algorithm

if it's all inside the firmware file then I could just run and outdated version of the intel toolbox.

18 hours ago, kuja killer said:

I've never once updated the magician software ever before, and not the ssd's own firmware either, it says the firmware is already the latest apparently.

And i just originally installed the software straight from the CD which says uhhh.. version 4.5.1.65 when hovering mouse over the exe

mmmmm..... :dubbio:

first off do update you Magician toolkit

and then it would be cool if you were able to run this Magician version and the latest Magician under W7 to see if it detects any newer FW version.

that way we can confirm whether it's the Magician or Windows version that blocks the newer updates if any

52 minutes ago, kasfruit said:

I was more interested on the WD Blue line which appears to be an improved version of the Sandisk series

as for the toolkit v1 can you confirm it will recognize any of the current Sandisk SSD's ?

I have been reading the intel SSD toolbox releases notes I haven't found a similar doc for other toolkits though

you can see that older SSD are still getting NAND optimized but it's unclear if those improvements are included in the firmware file or it's part of the toolkit algorithm

if it's all inside the firmware file then I could just run and outdated version of the intel toolbox.

Well I just bought only a week ago a new 500GB Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD (SDSSDH3_500G_401120RL), and it recognises that fine.
:)

I find it somewhat odd that no one has yet made a generic TRIM support package which is XP compatible and works with all SSDs.

Surely the protocols are standardized enough for this to be theoretically possible?

Unfortunately, I don't presently have the knowledge to make such a thing happen, but someone around here must?

c

Edited by cc333

The late great Rudolph Loew produced a "TRIM" program which works in DOS!
I use it to TRIM two SSD partitions I have which are FAT32 formatted, which Windows doesn't want to know about.
I assume it would work on NTFS partitions, but I'm not certain of that.
:dubbio: