Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Wunderbar98

K-Meleon TLS 1.2 in vanilla Windows 98 SE

Wunderbar98 said:
Someone coming to this post fresh with a vanilla system should attempt the unzip only method first, then just update the thread, probably will work, it will be better confirmation.

Sure that might be "best", there's just a tiny little catch: That wait may take forever...
It's the year 2020 now. How many regular posters here still have a real Win98 system, not just a VM?
And how many of those, despite being on this tweaker forum, still have a 100% vanilla system?
And still of the rest (if there's any), how many never tried KM yet, which is often recommended for older systems?
Or perhaps a stranger, a passing reader with matching requirements may discover this topic in a few months or years, but doesn't have an account and will not reply. Provided he even cares enough to test diligently and report. And also provided he CAN get an account at all (I'd not be able to join anymore either, long since expired email accounts, thanks to pesky ciphers again)
That is, if such vanilla users even have READ access to this httpS forum, and not only IE5-6 and never find this. They'd first need to have an old Firefox on their system.

Therefore am afraid your own system is still the best vanilla chance by far in the foreseeable future.
In my opinion better a 99% reliable result now as a 100% sure result but perhaps never.
(Frankly, I also just don't imagine KM as a prog that does some mysterious behind-the-scenes stuff ;-) If I read you right, it didn't even copy the msvc-dlls into the Win system folder. Am not a dev but always had the impression it works very basic and oldfashioned, probably just looks up the needed dll's in either own folder or system folder, if global plugins are available, then checks if profile.ini exists to decide if profile folders are inside or out, and that's about it)

The K-Meleon loader was not installed or active, don't like these features. Figured out the issue creating program backups in the same Program Files directory, not a K-Meleon bug but a Windows Quick Launch "feature",

YIKES - never noticed! But you're right, just did a quick test by renaming a random program folder (have a few irfanview version folders), and bingo: the QuickStart shortcut updates the path itself when clicking it! Without any notice. Without rebooting even.
But you said your KM even starts itself automatically after reboot...?

Profiling firefox.exe with Dependency Walker, nice program, flags GDI32.DLL and KERNEL32.DLL. This probably makes sense, stock Firefox v3.6 never ran in vanilla Windows 98, stopped at Firefox v2. Failed launch of firefox.exe from a command.com window or click gets an illegal operation popup, stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL.

Thanks for testing. And major pity. So RT-Fox3.6 still requires KernelEx for Win98 :-(
It doesn't mean much though that stock-FF3.6 never ran on vanilla98 either, since RT has tweaked this build not only to add TLS1.2, but also to work on older systems too. As he also does with a bunch of semi-modern browser builds backported for XP.
Edited by siria

3 hours ago, siria said:

1.) How many regular posters here still have a real Win98 system, not just a VM?
2.) And how many of those, despite being on this tweaker forum, still have a 100% vanilla system?

1.) I'd say probably about 10.
2.) Probably nobody. In case of day-to-day use plain vanilla is not viable anymore. Some members here, however, still use extensive updated and patched versions of 9x/Me on bare iron as day-to-day machines.
I'm not one of them anymore, having migrated fully to XP SP3 about five years ago.