Video Editing with WIndows 98

Gansangriff

Which video editing programs did you use on old hardware? Computers around the year 2000 for example. The old single-cores surely required a fat graphics card to be able to render the video at least somewhat. But which programs did you use back in the days? Did Windows XP made working a lot easier compared to Windows 98?

Actually I'd like to see, what a Pentium 3 is capable of in productive use. Movie Maker XP's simplicity is beautiful, but it only has one track for audio. The 20 year old professional video software on the other hand is easy to get nowadays. That's what I'm asking about. Which software was good?

If I recall correctly, what I saw around (more prosumer than professional) were:

Ulead https://web.archive.org/web/20000815234845/http://www.ulead.com/vs/
Pinnacle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Systems

Pro's largely used (again if I recall correctly) Avid :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avid_DS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Composer

jaclaz

NLE:

Adobe Premiere 6

Ulead Media Studio Pro (NLE + other tools)

IMSI Lumiere

Sonic Foundry Vegas 4

Serif MoviePlus 4

VFX:

Adobe After Effects 6.5

Discreet Combustion 2

Ulead Cool 3D Studio

Xara 3D 2

Wondertouch Particle Illusion 2

All these I bought and they are still installed on my ME machine but  I've never much used them.

Some converters are; WinX Video Converter 4.1.1; Oxelon Media Converter + plugins ; & the latest Miro video Converter vs 3.1 will work & is the better one using 5 reference frames but no x265. The python27.dll is replaced with one from the Python web site and msvcr80 vs 8.0.31113.25 is used as msvcrt. These converters are free. WinX and Oxelon need no KernelEx but Miro needs 2K mode. They will work just as good with 98 as with a latter system on similar hardware.

Some others are worth mentioning; WinAVI 2007 does not need kernelEx but a race to unload major.dll occurs when exiting. It has a good RMVB converter. If on closing, opening with a debugger will then close the program and no program is running in the debugger. This idea can work with other programs that are latched up in memory that are impossible to terminate with ctrl + alt + del.

"Super" back in the day was quite good. WinFF vs 1.4.2 works; EncodeHD 1.2 and A's Video Converter 6.0.6 need Dot Net framework, my dot net vs 2 stopped working but an ini file pointing to framework 1.1 might work for me but not tried yet. Vid to Vid should work but doesn't for some reason. I have WonderFox HD Video Converter working but I still have not emailed the distributor about registering. It converts WTV with early versions to x265 and other formats. but only converts a file that is a fraction of a second long in time line with WinME. See KernelEx core update topic.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
See my next post here.

Thank you very much for your input. Ulead Visual Studio (Version 4.0 from 2000) looks beautiful. It reminds me of 100 year old clocks, just plain inefficency, looking at how much space was wasted for the interface grahpics.

The big problem with the old programs are the new formats, containers and codecs. A lot was invented in the last 20 years. Also, an AVI file isn't an AVI file, some work with the old programs, some doesn't. Depends on the codec. A lot to try out, before conclusions can be drawn. The free software VirtualDub (working on Windows 98) looks like a good ally in this fight to get the video formats right. Although letting the video render on a standard PC allows you to make breakfast meanwhile.

Also, I have to consider how long it takes to get used to a video editing program.

VisualStudio.png

Edited by Gansangriff
Added image

WonderFox works as it supposed to except YouTube down-loader tips the scales on resources and errors. ( my estimation, as can be seen, there are may active modules ). Video editing of time line and splitting/merging and player works good though going back to windowed view from full screen does not work via right click menu. ( tries but fails to come out of full screen with right click menu but exiting works from full screen so not a big problem ). I made the converter work by placing MSVCR80.dll version 8.0.31113.25 in the HD Video Converter folder and in the Data folder this files are made to link to MSVCRX or your choice ( a renamed MSVCR80 vs 8.0.40607.52 ); libmfx-0.dll. libmfx-0.dll is not necessarily used and so the previous step may not be necessary or KernelEx covers it anyway. Data1 folder can be deleted. The Converter version I am using is 13.1. There is an exiting problem though if the program is closed by a debugger or Ctrl + Alt + Del and end error, then there is not a problem. Registering does not work through the normal typing in of a key number although that's what I thought I did some months ago but there is no registration button. The change log says that registration to Pro version has changed and emailing WonderFox is necessary if registering old versions. The newest version places a water mark according to the web site if unregistered.

HDVideoC.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Zwei-stein is something I thought would be too outdated but it will open any file you have codec installed for and export in an AVI; WMV; or RM package or just audio as WAV or WMA. For instance if you have google VP8 encoder installed then AVI conversion selections will include this encoder. Zwei-stein when sampling the source uses anti-aliasing and a very low resolution video can be seen a lot better. Output resolutions are limited though and exported AVIs have PCM audio only resulting in an audio track that can be larger than the video. This is not an issue with RM or WMV conversions. Videos may need importing twice if it does not import first time. I have tested HEV1 and imports HEV1 and converts: - will need KernelEx to run the LAV filters.

I used Loblo's YouTube downloader as dl.exe in WonerFox. It does not bring up the intermediate error message but has the same analyze end result saying an internet access connection error. I tried downloading a video from a non-encrypted web address.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Better info.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, JaxMcmillan said:

Back in the day, I used programs like Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas on computers running Windows XP. They definitely made editing a lot smoother compared to Windows 98. As for the Pentium 3, it could handle basic video editing tasks, but it would struggle with more complex projects.

Yes and no.

Meaning that what you remember was likely not much the actual differences between Win98 and XP, but rather the differences between the capabilities of the hardware you were running them on, in those days two or three years apart in hardware meant a lot in terms of amount of memory and speed of processors, but also hard disks speed.

jaclaz