changing windows version ( registry hack ) or other method to run blocked software

cov3rt

i was trying to see if i could install odyssey client 1.1 or odyssey client 2.20 oem edition on windows 95, but unfortunately the installer gives the error "error 3031,Odyssey server requires windows 2000 SP2 or greater, Installation will abort". i was wondering, is there any workaround for this. i remember people mentioning a registry modification that involves changing the productname/version numbers, and then the programs would install and work properly. i tried to google myself on windows 2000 product name, but i couldn't get far in a feasible scope, all i managed to get was one thread here on msfn, i had entered the productname and version of windows 2000, but it still didn't make a difference, i even changed another entry that originally was windows 95 and changed it to windows 2000. 

the only other way i can think of is using this orca modification tool mentioned from the site below, the steps do not seem to be very difficult, just edit, save the file, and i should be good to go. but i was wondering if anyone has had any experience in using the orca tool and / or other ways to be able to get all this working? i already messed up my registry a bit and going back to the normal changes, i dont have the original info, but with the orca route, it seems that it bypasses all that stuff so the previous registry changes wouldn't matter. i will be re-installing the os anyways, however, i really need to at least confirm these methods as working or not, and if not, move on to another wireless client that does. 

http://david-merritt.blogspot.com/2012/08/force-blocked-software-to-install-onto.html

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Orca is quite simple: all you have to delete (aka "dropping") the LaunchCondition table and the version checks are gone.

so i didn't realize, but the 3 clients are apparently not msi executable based, they are just regular .exe. do you know if there is any tool similar to orca that can do the same thing, bypassing the operating system check that is? 

Odyssey client 1.1 could be installed on 98 and then copy files across to 95 and check with Dependency Walker for function discrepancies. It says IE5.5 or greater needs to be installed. Did you try updating file suggestions here https://msfn.org/board/topic/175486-wpa2-for-windows-9x/?do=findComment&comment=1161913 ; I made some more precise edits. Odyssey 2.2 if shipped with XPSP2 may not be compatible as VXD drivers are required. The VXD driver is installed with Odyssey 1.1. I downloaded some missing binaries dcflibrary.dll & odlib_ossl.dll from mydll.com. OdService.dll has a function discrepancy in advapi32 still though. I installed it on WinMe but did not try it fully. Odyssey 2.2 still will have no WPA2 connectivity.

2 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Odyssey client 1.1 could be installed on 98 and then copy files across to 95 and check with Dependency Walker for function discrepancies. It says IE5.5 or greater needs to be installed. Did you try updating file suggestions here ; I made some more precise edits. Odyssey 2.2 if shipped with XPSP2 may not be compatible as VXD drivers are required. The VXD driver is installed with Odyssey 1.1. I downloaded some missing binaries dcflibrary.dll & odlib_ossl.dll from mydll.com. OdService.dll has a function discrepancy in advapi32 still though. I installed it on WinMe but did not try it fully. Odyssey 2.2 still will have no WPA2 connectivity.

i've been going back and forth with trying to install these clients, using exe to msi converters, etc, but cant seem to find a solution. why does it have to be so hard to just change a setting in a application....jeez. most likely i'm gonna be giving up entirely on testing any of the odyssey clients unless someone here can be so kind to just edit the applications and re-upload the modified exe or msi package asap so that i can at least install it on windows 95 for me to test. the site of upload is here "https://easyupload.io/". 

also i don't know if one of these programs caused viruses but i faced a new problem i think, where the exe file wont even run / install on my w7 system ( other programs do, just not the odyssey client 1.1 / 2.2 ones ). here is the 2 clients if anyone can modify them and re-upload to the same site - 

https://easyupload.io/pnhbei

Your upload Odyssey client 1.10.00.283 is missing the MSI package for Odyssey1.1. The AgereClientEnglish.exe upload seems to be the MSI installer update and not the Odyssey product. I downloaded my Odyssey 1.1 from https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/Compaq-Evo-n800v-Notebook-Odyssey-Client-11-200-B.shtml and it works but does not prompt for updating files when installing so that can be a problem in that if version numbers are higher in the MSI package to that of your system then they will be overwritten. Odyssey needs dwmapi.dll and therefore updated system files will be required. It would be better to update your files manually like I suggested first that way you are in control and can test compatibility first making sure everything works. It means that some 98SE files are required as I have said in the " WPA2 for Windows 9x! " link and I downloaded the 2 Odyssey files from MY-Dll.com not MYDLL.com.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

10 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Your upload Odyssey client 1.10.00.283 is missing the MSI package for Odyssey1.1. The AgereClientEnglish.exe upload seems to be the MSI installer update and not the Odyssey product. I downloaded my Odyssey 1.1 from https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/Compaq-Evo-n800v-Notebook-Odyssey-Client-11-200-B.shtml and it works but does not prompt for updating files when installing so that can be a problem in that if version numbers are higher in the MSI package to that of your system then they will be overwritten. Odyssey needs dwmapi.dll and therefore updated system files will be required. It would be better to update your files manually like I suggested first that way you are in control and can test compatibility first making sure everything works. It means that some 98SE files are required as I have said in the " WPA2 for Windows 9x! " link and I downloaded the 2 Odyssey files from MY-Dll.com not MYDLL.com.

i'm not sure if i understand. do you mean to say that if i were to install the client on any system, regardless of OS, then i need to have both the regular .exe file, as well as the msi version in the same package? but then which one would i need to install, the msi or exe one? just now, i tried to install 1.10 and 2.20 on windows 7 so i can then transfer it to the windows 95 machine to test, however, it had got stuck on the update drivers / registry portion, i had cancelled the wizard somewhat prematurely / ending tasks in task manager, and it still launched the client manager on windows 7. however, after i copied the programs on a usb to test on windows 95, when trying to launch on windows 95, it complained that some components are missing. 

hmm...., i may perhaps test one more time with both packages ( what it originally came as for both that i downloaded ), maybe it might yield better results? the reason why i excluded the msi was because i thought windows 95 might install "Better" or would only need the regular exe file and not the msi one? also for the dwmapi.dll file, is there a specific version i need / more compatible version for windows 95? 

21 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

can you please specify which driver version to use for dwmapi.dll, as well as for dcflibrary.dll & odlib_ossl.dll. also, i could not find a way to install the client on windows 7, installing with the original package made no difference. is it possible for you to just upload the already installed program that you used on windows me to that easyupload site, that way i should be able to copy the program to the windows 95 system and test with those 3 dll files i downloaded already. this is the only option i can think of, unless something unless practically can be done. i probably will not wait anymore than a day as i need to move on from this experimenting. 

Yes the MSI file is necessary, it contains the files and execution of the installation. Odyssey has to be installed on 98/ME otherwise the installation will be incompatible because of the missing VXD. Dwmapi was in use in WinMerge in my system and I assume that it was this file that could not be overwritten by the Odyssey installer, it was the only one that made sense to me out of the active modules WinMerge was using.  I am using a ReactOS Dwmapi 6.0.6000.16386 and I might be wrong about this particular file it wanted to directly place in the system, it did not say other than it was in use by WinMerge - which I was using at the time. The dcflibrary.dll & odlib_ossl.dll are available from MY-DLL.com and are compatible, there might only be one version of each. If it is just an experiment on your behalf then I think it is best to have chose the USB adapter you had purchased and updated the files I mentioned from 98. I am using a cable connection at the moment and not using my USB adapter, one reason I had not fully installed the client. The picture shows dcflibrary.dll in use.

Odyssey.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver
proof read correction

On 7/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

Odyssey client 1.1 could be installed on 98 and then copy files across to 95 and check with Dependency Walker for function discrepancies. It says IE5.5 or greater needs to be installed. Did you try updating file suggestions here https://msfn.org/board/topic/175486-wpa2-for-windows-9x/?do=findComment&comment=1161913 ; I made some more precise edits. Odyssey 2.2 if shipped with XPSP2 may not be compatible as VXD drivers are required. The VXD driver is installed with Odyssey 1.1. I downloaded some missing binaries dcflibrary.dll & odlib_ossl.dll from mydll.com. OdService.dll has a function discrepancy in advapi32 still though. I installed it on WinMe but did not try it fully. Odyssey 2.2 still will have no WPA2 connectivity.

wpa2 would be overkill, but odyssey client 2.2 did mention wpa. if we could have someone somehow create a custom odyssey client 2.20 package so that it can work with windows 95, we may be able to get it work the way that wsc guard 4.0 does. the dell truemobile 1150 could possibly work with it IF adding "%Wlluc01.DeviceDesc%=Wlluc01.Install, PCMCIA\Lucent_Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE-C4F2" for cardbus or "%Wlluc02.DeviceDesc%=Wlluc02.Install, PCMCIA\Lucent_Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE-C043" mini pci card versions to the same package as the newest orinoco driver which might have supported WPA, being that C4F2 is identified as C908 and C043 is identified as 911F in newer Operating systems such as 98SE. it also explains why somehow oddly, i was able to flash the dell truemobile 1150 with the unofficial 8.72 firmware under windows 95 when i used the 7.64 driver with added C4F2 hardware id. 

and like i mentioned previously in my other post, a while back, there might have been a driver that supported wpa, from package "AirLancer_11Mbit_Win_95_SR02-2.1.zip", however, i was never able to re-locate this, however, after reading the readme section of the latest drivers from orinoco for 98SE at least, SR02-2.3 appears to be the first version with wpa, not SR02-2.1 mentioned in the other package. maybe someone can acquire one or other packages and create a modified driver along with the modified odyssey client 2.20 or wsc guard version? i tested both 4.0 and 2.40 of wsc guard, they install but have a missing export, i think it was called something like getfolderpath, but the odyssey ones of course simply wouldn't install due to restricted installers, where removing the "LaunchCondition" using orca made no difference, even when trying to do so from using the extracted msi from the temp folder when in the process of installing from the regular .exe file. 

Why not install 98 and try the software and see if is what you want and in 95 use Dependency Walker to check compatibility. Use NDISIP.sys & NDIS.sys from WinXP SP3 in your Windows Driver folder usually windows\system32\drivers.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

14 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Why not install 98 and try the software and see if is what you want and in 95 use Dependency Walker to check compatibility. Use NDISIP.sys & NDIS.sys from WinXP SP3 in your Windows Driver folder usually windows\system32\drivers.

for odyssey client 1.10, there's not much incentive to try it / use it, since it doesn't even support wpa? however for odyssey client 2.20, it does mention support for wpa for certain wifi adapters. i do actually have windows 98 installed on the laptop now, and i may install the 2.20 client temporarily so i can copy the installed program and use it for possible experimenting in the future for windows 95.