Solving Vista's lack of TLS 1.1 or 1.2.

terryindorset

6 hours ago, terryindorset said:

Contact with my Flight1 account is assured now that TLS.1.1 & 1.2 is enabled in Internet Options.

Great news! However little use we may have for Internet Explorer, it seems that Vista is still quite attached to it, so Vista users can benefit from the enhancement discussed here. It might be worth mentioning that the last cumulative security update for IE9 with an sha1 signature was KB4507434 in July 2019. (I’ll leave the can of worms labeled sha2 on the shelf.)

July 26 was the third anniversary of VistaLover’s original post about enabling TLS 1.1 and 1.2 on Vista, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude. :)

You see......more code-speak !  Voodo to you, magic to me !

Flight1 have refunded the £30 I paid for the new Instant Scenery saying I really should have persisted with reinstallation.  I reminded them that everything they told me to do resulted in failure.  At least my way got me working software  :D

Cheers & thanks again.

I nearly forgot - Firefox is my default browser.............& thank youVistaLover  :thumbup .

Edited by terryindorset

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

However little use we may have for Internet Explorer, it seems that Vista is still quite attached to it, so Vista users can benefit from the enhancement discussed here.

For once I don't think that the issue is Vista's fault (or of the good MS guys), more simply the programmer that put together the Flight1 activation/validation server copied and pasted ;) some code that included the use of MS version of TLS1.2 files, and this code was probably originally born by someone that actually needed to use TLS1.2 and answered the question "what is the more prevalent TLS 1.2 implementation on Windows machines?" with "the MS one in Internet Explorer" (avoiding in 99.99% of cases angry people that have firefox but not chrome, chrome but not firefox, opera but not QTweb, internet Explorer but not INternet Explorer version x, etc. etc.).

BTW on my Windows XP (SP2, yes, I know) I have TLS 1.2 working just fine in Opera, QTweb, Chrome (actually Iron) and Firefox (actually Basilisk) BUT NOT in my "Internet Properties".

14 minutes ago, terryindorset said:

I reminded them that everything they told me to do resultd in failure.  At least my way got me working software  :D

Very likely the people you have communicated with have seen a Vista system only in a  high-school class (or maybe not even there, as until a few years ago schools still had XP) and the first computer they actually owned was either 7 or 8 and they consider Vista as a passing meteor that only the few survived dinosaurs can remember, let alone use.

I would say; Why, in my day ... :whistle::

https://tinyapps.org/blog/200702250700_why_in_my_day.html

jaclaz

On 7/24/2020 at 10:34 AM, lmacri said:

Follow these steps to confirm your Vista SP2 OS is fully patched to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017): ...

Hi terryindorset:

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you haven't confirmed your Vista SP2 OS is patched to end of extended support (see my 23-Jul-2020 post <here>) then you should do so as soon as possible. User erpster4 reminded me today in the VistaForums thread Problem After Installing Updates Agent 7.6.7600.256 that as of 03-August-2020, Windows Update will stop working on older operating systems like Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 that do not support Secure Hash Algorithm 2 (SHA-2) code signing and will likely throw a "Windows Could Not Search For New Updates" error 8024402C if you try to check for available updates after this date.

If you applied all the required Vista service packs (SP1 and/or SP2) during your clean reinstall but did not patch Vista SP2 (including any installed MS .NET Frameworks, Internet Explorer 9, and other programs that normally receive updates via Windows Update) to the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017 by following the instructions on on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours then this machine could encounter ongoing problems with poor system performance, server connection errors, etc. even though you've added TLS 1.2 support.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

9 hours ago, lmacri said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record...

Some readers may not know what a broken record sounded like. In the days when music and other audio was sold on vinyl records, a crack or scratch often prevented the stylus (needle) from following the groove containing analog audio. In some cases the stylus skipped forward, but in a good many cases it skipped backward, causing the same passage to repeat over and over until someone intervened to break the cycle.

I have seen many of your posts far and wide. Your preferred topic is always old Vista patches, but you seem to have an aversion to post-EOL patches (such as the one that was required to solve this thread), and you seem to believe that Firefox 52.9.0 is the only browser worthy of discussion. Your “broken record” analogy seems appropriate.