Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

6 hours ago, mjd79 said:

Vegas Pro 18 (and older versions) - For some reason, Vegas Pro 18 as well as older versions such as 16 or 14 did not want to run properly when I used any of the extended kernel versions, latest or older redirected locally. The solution turned out to be a local redirect of the original kernel32.dll, but that's not the end of the story. You have to replace one of the kernel32 imports in the Vegas ErrorReport.dll file using CFF Explorer (I don't remember the exact name, but it is the only import with the beginning of the name K32). The second missing function TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive should be added to the exports using ExportTableTester and CFF Explorer in the original kernel32 redirected locally.

On Windows Vista, CUDA must be disabled in the GPU driver's control panel to run Vegas Pro 15. If not, it gets hung up on a version check. I will look into it.

18 hours ago, win32 said:

On Windows Vista, CUDA must be disabled in the GPU driver's control panel to run Vegas Pro 15. If not, it gets hung up on a version check. I will look into it.

I use CUDA for video-processing and it works, what am I doing wrong ? I took the driver from here.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184056-breakthrough-p2-new-pascal-special-microsoft-nvidia-driver-port-for-vista-x64/

5 hours ago, Cocodile said:

I use CUDA for video-processing and it works, what am I doing wrong ? I took the driver from here.

I checked again, and it seems that it's due to an issue that is specific to my GPU where it takes several minutes to initialize the OpenGL user mode driver. I asked for confirmation of this issue from other users, but no one else got it. But I do believe it may be related to the extended kernel, so I will fix it.

@win32 I managed to add the missing features needed to run FF 60 ESR on Vista x86, but I get an appcrash error. I disabled DEP via a command in CMD.

What could I have done wrong?

Przechwytywanie.JPG

Edited by mjd79

4 hours ago, Cockatiel said:

Why March 2023 Extended Kernel breaks Windows Live Photo Gallery 2011? And could someone figure out how to get it working again?

error.PNG

Redirect locally an older version of the extended kernel.

1 hour ago, mjd79 said:

I need to use 64-bit files or 32-bit files? UPD: With 32-bit files I am still getting the same error UPD 2: The same with 64-bit files

Edited by Cockatiel

2 hours ago, mjd79 said:

1 hour ago, Cockatiel said:

I need to use 64-bit files or 32-bit files? UPD: With 32-bit files I am still getting the same error UPD 2: The same with 64-bit files

why not try to redirect to the original files? I mean there are a lot of files to track down that have been modified but if you want to use WLPG 2011 i guess it's worth it
edit: even with ex. kernel version 10192022 it's giving an error (not the same tho; 0x8000ffff) so maybe an even older version of ex. kernel might help?

Edited by winvispixp

15 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

why not try to redirect to the original files? I mean there are a lot of files to track down that have been modified but if you want to use WLPG 2011 i guess it's worth it
edit: even with ex. kernel version 10192022 it's giving an error (not the same tho; 0x8000ffff) so maybe an even older version of ex. kernel might help?

I tried even to redirect to original files, but still the same error

27 minutes ago, Cockatiel said:

I tried even to redirect to original files, but still the same error

Could you translate the content of the error message?

Unfortunately, as a Pole, I still do not know Ukrainian, although it has been coming in handy for a year now :(

Greetings to Ukraine!

Edited by mjd79

45 minutes ago, mjd79 said:

Could you translate the content of the error message?

Unfortunately, as a Pole, I still do not know Ukrainian, although it has been coming in handy for a year now :(

Greetings to Ukraine!

Failed to launch Photo Gallery. Perhaps there is a lack of free space on the hard drive, or critical files are missing from Windows. (I used Google Translate to translate, so, it is not accurate)

1 hour ago, Cockatiel said:

Failed to launch Photo Gallery. Perhaps there is a lack of free space on the hard drive, or critical files are missing from Windows. (I used Google Translate to translate, so, it is not accurate)

Check this application with Dependency Walker.

Hi everyone! Such an interesting project.

I've tried to get it working with Firefox. I have all the updates from LegacyUpdate installed and then all the prerequisites (I believe) mentioned on the Extended Kernel homepage are installed manually too, and I used the automated installer for Extended Kernel (latest version). After restart, I can use Firefox ESR 102.8.0 without any problems (just needed the osver.ini version spoofing). Even Youtube and everything works. However, I'm instantly loosing audio on all available devices (that is Nvidia HD audio and Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2zs). And it's broken in a weird way. No sound can be heard from any app or the system (or seen in Vista's mixer) at all. When I go to check speakers in Vista's audio panel, it says "failed to play a test tone". And that's happening with any device and no matter the audio format chosen. The moment I uninstall the Extended Kernel, everything's fine, but Firefox is of course not working.

Since I need it for only the browser and maybe some antivirus software, I've tried a local redirect, but no luck with that. I used the reg file, copied all the files to the appropriate folder and then restarted, then modified firefox.exe headers with CFF explorer (MinorSubsystemVersion field) since it was saying "it's not a proper win32 application", and now it's crashing with "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)" error message. Is it possible to launch Firefox with Extended Kernel local redirection?

Could someone please help me with either getting the sound back when system files are replaced, since I don't see anything in this thread about problems with audio, or with local redirect for firefox?

For Audigy drivers I use the latest full Daniel_K's Audigy support pack, but the problem persists even with the creative drivers Vista pulls from the update. Well, and Nvidia HD audio is bugged in the same way.