Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

On 10/23/2022 at 1:45 AM, UCyborg said:

Unless extended kernel can support Widevine Content Decryption Module, video playback on such services won't be possible.

I uninstalled the Ext Kernel and reverted back to my original Kernel and Netflix can still play video for me if you play it on the Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0, (the last supported version for Vista) with Microsoft Silverlight plugin installed. When I reinstalled the Ext Kernel and tried to Run Netflix with the same Firefox 52.9.0, it keeps on saying, "Microsoft Silverlight plugin has crashed, please try again." BTW make sure you put this command line on your osver.ini file or else Firefox 52.9.0 will automatically update to 60.9.0 on the Ext Kernel:

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe]
enabled=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=0
BuildNumber=6003
CSDVersion=Service Pack 2

My question is is there a way to stop the Microsoft Silverlight from crashing while trying to play Netflix on the Ext Kernel? I don't want to have to keep reverting back to my original Kernel for Netflix to run properly. Thanks.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:52 PM, Therick said:

I uninstalled the Ext Kernel and reverted back to my original Kernel and Netflix can still play video for me if you play it on the Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0, (the last supported version for Vista) with Microsoft Silverlight plugin installed. When I reinstalled the Ext Kernel and tried to Run Netflix with the same Firefox 52.9.0, it keeps on saying, "Microsoft Silverlight plugin has crashed, please try again."

Oh, didn't know Silverlight can still be used and your post only mentioned modern Chromium / Firefox, which only support it via Widevine AFAIK.

The Silverlight problem sounds like something that would have to be debugged by @win32.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, legacyfan said:

has anyone gotten newer versions of minecraft to work yet? the last I saw java 17 was being decided to port to xp-vista

java 17 and even 18 install on vista
minecraft 1.17.1 is the last stable release to properly load yet

Will the latest version of gdevelop game engine work with extended kernel? its my favorite game engine and its not been fully been tested yet on vista (ive sort of gotten it to work before but just barely and it lags really bad)

Edited by legacyfan

• 1 month later...

Guys please help me it's really important, my internet connection only works in browser but not programs, i've tried enabling them in windows firewall and resetting connection, but none of this solved it. What can i do??

I've previously fixed spotify (it worked after ext kernel reinstallation), but now for example spotify gives me error 409("this app is for premium users only", if you search on google nothing shows) also tried installing spotify v0.9.14.13, and gives me error 409 but this time it says that it might be blocked by firewall (which is not), minecraft is totally offline (even if it's allowed in firewall and connected to internet). But browsers work, please i don't know how to fix this. Now i'm gonna update my ext kernel to see if it fixes anything (if not i'm gonna reinstall it) and i'll report if it fixed it.

Edit: updating and reinstalling ext kernel did absolutely nothing

Second Edit: Now everything works fine

Edited by Scarf32

• 1 month later...

In general, Vista extended kernel works very well for me in version 20230306. However, I will share my solutions to run software that with the extended kernel does not work properly and some other things.

Vegas Pro 18 (and older versions) - For some reason, Vegas Pro 18 as well as older versions such as 16 or 14 did not want to run properly when I used any of the extended kernel versions, latest or older redirected locally. The solution turned out to be a local redirect of the original kernel32.dll, but that's not the end of the story. You have to replace one of the kernel32 imports in the Vegas ErrorReport.dll file using CFF Explorer (I don't remember the exact name, but it is the only import with the beginning of the name K32). The second missing function TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive should be added to the exports using ExportTableTester and CFF Explorer in the original kernel32 redirected locally.

MegaDownloader  1.8 - here it was enough to redirect locally kernel32.dll from the October version of the extended kernel.

Zoom - to run it, just redirect gdiplus.dll locally from Windows 7.

Chromium-based browsers - the March 6 version messed up the video in these browsers, the solution is to install the new March 9 version with the corrected userenv.dll and kernel32.dll file.

I also tried to install Office 2013 according to one user's guide, none of the programs wanted to run, I have no idea what caused it, because I installed the good old Office 2010 anyway :)

As for Discord, the unofficial Lightcord client works seamlessly. Be aware, however, that Discord can ban user accounts for using unofficial clients. Win32 mentioned that the failure of the official Discord client to work may be due to IE dependencies. But that would be illogical, since the same client works on Windows 7 with IE8 installed.

.NET 4.8 was unfortunately problematic, version 4.6.2 is enough for 95% of the software, and it does not cause problems with application performance.

Edited by mjd79

5 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Problematic as a meaning of what?

For example, it caused Sony Vegas to be unable to load .NET libraries.

I managed to bypass the Discord updater, but this time I get a javascript error....

3989009900_1678392632.png