Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

On 7/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, alexocc said:

You can actually install the latest version of Chrome (103 for me) via the official installer, just add this to osver.ini in your Windows directory:

[global]
enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7601
CSDVersion=Service Pack 1
PlatformID=2

Once the installation has completed, erase the "global" string and restart Chrome. Or you can keep it, I just prefer to spoof the OS version to individual applications.

EDIT: this has to be performed with the latest extended kernel update (Jul 25). 

Screenshot_3.png

I want to install edge and i dont know how to do this, i cant even find osver.ini anywhere in my windows folder or system32 folder also. Can you explain me in more detail how to do it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, is there any way to launch the most recent version of VS Code? Can't actually start it, more precisely it just doesn't show any sort of output lmao. Although when I am launching multiple instances of the app at once, it throws me an error about this. I am using latest kernelex version + all updates (for Vista) are installed. Thanks for the answer in advance

1 hour ago, pridesnow said:

Hello there, is there any way to launch the most recent version of VS Code? Can't actually start it, more precisely it just doesn't show any sort of output lmao. Although when I am launching multiple instances of the app at once, it throws me an error about this. I am using latest kernelex version + all updates (for Vista) are installed. Thanks for the answer in advance

Are you using a portable version_ And, I think after a restart it would work. Pd, I replaced vs code with vs codium, the only difference is that some extensions might not work, and Codium has less telemetry.

46 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

Are you using a portable version_ And, I think after a restart it would work. Pd, I replaced vs code with vs codium, the only difference is that some extensions might not work, and Codium has less telemetry.

I used that .zip thingy, although I wasn't able to start VSCodium either. Going to try it again, maybe it's gonna launch. Oh, and yeah, are there any flags that I should put for "the workness"?

upd. it's indeed working AHAHAHAHA, I just needed to use portable version of it, thanks :))))))))
upd. no. 2 ok, mingw (precisely c++ compiler) doesn't work for some reason :(((((((((((

Edited by pridesnow

4 hours ago, pridesnow said:

I used that .zip thingy, although I wasn't able to start VSCodium either. Going to try it again, maybe it's gonna launch. Oh, and yeah, are there any flags that I should put for "the workness"?

upd. it's indeed working AHAHAHAHA, I just needed to use portable version of it, thanks :))))))))
upd. no. 2 ok, mingw (precisely c++ compiler) doesn't work for some reason :(((((((((((

Never used such compilation tools. For my everyday work as a web developer is fine.

25 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

Never used such compilation tools. For my everyday work as a web developer is fine.

I need C++ compiler because of the college, although tomorrow gonna try cygwin (or code::block's version of compiler)

On 9/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, pridesnow said:

I was able to integrate gcc (using mingw64) into vs code using the official instructions on the vs code site, but it seems that gdb doesn't work at all with the extended kernel. I need to fix that.

As it stands I can compile and build applications within VS code, but I must run them outside of VS code. So only printf/cout-ish debugging for now!

Edited by win32

23 hours ago, win32 said:

I was able to integrate gcc (using mingw64) into vs code using the official instructions on the vs code site, but it seems that gdb doesn't work at all with the extended kernel. I need to fix that.

As it stands I can compile and build applications within VS code, but I must run them outside of VS code. So only printf/cout-ish debugging for now!

yep, the newest version of mingw didn't work, although using older version of the compiler fixed the situation. oh, and yeah (it's not related to exkernel, though), for some reason you're not able to use the most recent version of code::blocks (20.04), although it says that the program itself supports it. something related to api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-1-0.dll... latest version of steam works almost perfectly: for some reason the app itself forgets games that are installed on the pc after restarting steam. content_log.txt says that there are no apps installed, although there is (and it also creates this "appmanifest_(...)")!

[2022-09-12 15:45:53] Loaded 0 apps from install folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_*.acf".

also for some reason steam isn't able to upgrade itself, stating that the clearing process failed. for now, i launch steam with these tags: "-no-cef-sandbox -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap --noverifyfiles"

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

“SpeedTest App” is listed as ONG in the Last versions of software for (vanilla) Windows Vista thread under System Management, Cleanup, and Analysis.

Whatever I try, speedtest desktop app will install but refuse to open when I run the .exe, it gives me an error "failed to load mono". I tried version 1.7.132 specifically and it also gives the same error. I am on windows vista business SP2 fully updated. Anyone know of a workaround?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, drcs68 said:

Whatever I try, speedtest desktop app will install but refuse to open when I run the .exe, it gives me an error "failed to load mono". I tried version 1.7.132 specifically and it also gives the same error. I am on windows vista business SP2 fully updated. Anyone know of a workaround?

Ok so I got around this by installing an old version of speedtest I found online (it’s version 1.0.14.1 - the second ever speedtest desktop version released in july 2017). What happened was, the installer this time prompted to install Microsoft visual c++ 2015 (newer speedtest installers never asked). And it worked!

But whether newer versions of speedtest will work now since visual c++ is installed, idk honestly because I haven’t tested. Nevertheless, I’m glad I have a working app now.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:08 AM, Scarf32 said:

Does anyone know how to PERMANENTLY disable DEP, because the "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" doesn't seem to do anything and i can't use spotify anymore because of this

DEP.JPG

Welcome to MSFN Scarf32! Your screenshot of the DEP tab indicates that DEP is disabled. I would suggest looking at problem reports for Spotify to see if they are still BEX or instead APPCRASH. However, there was another report earlier this year from an extended kernel user who could not successfully disable DEP (see this thread at another forum), so this might be an issue with the extended kernel that only @win32 could address. (Edit: solved)

It seems likely that Spotify was already crashing when it caused a buffer overflow triggering DEP. If another member is successfully using Spotify, I hope they will reply to offer you some advice.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

First of all thank you for welcoming me in! :)

I have DEP crashing problem on other programs so spotify is not the culprit and as i've read in the thread that you linked, the problem is ExtKernel but i don't want to downgrade ExtKernel version because i use chrlauncher and other programs that simply wouldn't work without this ExtKernel update.

Do you know how to get spotify web working? since the nativefier version i made doesn't work properly and spotify web is unusable on firefox because of DRM module not installing completely. If you find a way to use spotify web then it will be perfect because most of the thing that i use are not crashing cause of DEP so update me if you find a way to get it working