Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

I tried a program which was made in Python 3.8 and I'm very happy that it worked despite that it crashed when I tried to do something, but at least any kind of Python 3.x program working in Vista! I'm also trying to get mysql community server 8.0.21 in Vista, but I'm unsure if it works. Firstly, the Workbench can't be installed, and while the setup try to configure all the stuff, mysqld.exe gives a Kernel32.dll. Y wanted to create a mysqld.exe.local but can't find the mysqld.exe. I'm wondering if creating a file .msi.local near to the installer will work and will use the modified kernel dlls all the time during installation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good news, I got the latest version of Chromium to work on the Extended Kernel The latest version of Chromium working on Windows Vista (not clickbait!).jpg

EDIT: It is possible to run the latest version of Chromium with the Extended Kernel within CHRLauncher. You just have to get CHRLauncher from this link: https://github.com/henrypp/chrlauncher/releases/tag/v.2.5.7 and download and extract the files and you would see the folder labeled "chrlauncher"  and then you will see the folder labeled "64" 

Edited by KetaMnight

• 1 month later...

List of Windows 7+ software that Windows Vista Extended Kernel by @win32 allows to run.

I decided to create this temporary post, because @WinClient5270hasn't been online for a long time now and his main post is now quite outdated.

Special thanks to @WinClient5270 and everyone who contributed to this list.

The programs listed are x64 if not stated otherwise

Discussion: https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/

Installation guide: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/

Internet:

• Firefox 91 ESR - 115 ESR Current version (Spoofing Windows 7 required, mfplat recommended)
  • Pale Moon 32.4.1 Current version download https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/?do=findComment&comment=1218827
  • Supermium 118 Current version (Chromium fork by @win32 (extended kernel author) download)
  • Chromium 53-109 (110 with new userenv.dll) and most chromium forks including MS Edge (no extension support extensions work with Extended Kernel 07252022 or newer)
  • Firefox 78 ESR (works well with older versions of extended kernel, mfplat recommended)
  • Interlink Mail client (info: July 2020)
  • Thunderbird version 53 Current version
  • Telegram portable May 2022 Current version

Windows basic tools:

Multimedia tools:

Office tools:

• LibreOffice 6.x
  • LibreOffice 7.3.3 Current version (minor kerning/letter spacing issues)
  • Microsoft Office 2013 (no way to activate it though)

Developer tools:

Hardware – specific software:

Games & benchmarks:

• Rocket League (versions before November 2019)
  • Amnesia:Rebirth (info: January 2021)
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deltarune and Undertale (info: December 2021)
  • Cinebench R20
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Other:

Current version - At the time of testing the aforementioned version was the latest, so newer ones are likely to work too.

Feel free to report other programs.

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are used here for identification purposes only.

Edited by TSNH

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, LiptonAcer said:

How did you install Firefox 91 ESR on Windows Vista?

bbbbbbbbb.JPG

1. Install the Extended Kernel
  2. Download Firefox 91 ESR x64 installer
  3. Install Firefox 91 ESR x64 on Windows 7 or newer Virtual Machine (or PC).
  4. Copy "Mozilla Firefox" folder from %programfiles% of Windows 7 VM to Windows Vista's %programfiles%
  5. Create "Mozilla Firefox" folder in C:\Program Files
  6. Extract the downloaded installer with 7-zip
  7. Copy all the contents of the extracted "core" folder to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ (path to firefox.exe should be C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe)
  8. Create an empty osver.ini file in C:\Windows\
  9. Put the following content in it
    [C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe]
    Enabled=1
    FirefoxFix=1
  10. To get video codec support:

1.       Apply the DLLredirectionenabler.reg.

2.       Create a Firefox.exe.local folder in %programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox.

3.       Extract the mfplatsetup.7z and copy all the dlls it contains to the Firefox.exe.local folder.

11. Launch firefox.exe

Edited by TSNH

2 hours ago, TSNH said:
  1. Install the Extended Kernel
  2. Install Firefox 91 ESR x64 on Windows 7 or newer Virtual Machine (or PC).
  3. Copy "Mozilla Firefox" folder from %programfiles% of Windows 7 VM to Windows Vista's %programfiles%
  4. Create an empty osver.ini file in C:\Windows\
  5. Put the following content in it
    [C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe]
    Enabled=1
    FirefoxFix=1
  6. To get video codec support:

1.       Apply the DLLredirectionenabler.reg.

2.       Create a Firefox.exe.local folder in %programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox.

3.       Extract the mfplatsetup.7z and copy all the dlls it contains to the Firefox.exe.local folder.

7. Launch firefox.exe

I think I have followed everything well but the police are breaking :(

Capturer.JPG

15 minutes ago, LiptonAcer said:

I think I have followed everything well but the police are breaking :(

Capturer.JPG

It looks like in your language version the "Program Files" folder is called "Programmes".

Replace the osver.ini file contents with:

[C:\Programmes\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe]
Enabled=1
FirefoxFix=1

3 hours ago, TSNH said:
  • Install Firefox 91 ESR x64 on Windows 7 or newer Virtual Machine (or PC).
  • Copy "Mozilla Firefox" folder from %programfiles% of Windows 7 VM to Windows Vista's %programfiles%

you can just download the newest firefox installer and right click on it then on extract (winrar or 7zip is required)

• 4 weeks later...