Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

On 1/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, burd said:

Amnesia:Rebirth works on vista , weirdly the NonSteam exe works even on vanilla SP2 , but the exe with steam launch crashes without Extended kernel

That's because steam makes calls to non-existent APIs. Solution ? Do not use steam . I've bought a recent game from mid. 2020 and it works fine on vanilla Vista , but the steam version doesn't work , so I got a refund. Let them feel that we are to decide what we want.

On 12/31/2020 at 6:21 AM, Win10-Hater said:

I'll look into this later and see if this happens on Chromium.

So is there an end to this story ?

14 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

That's because steam makes calls to non-existent APIs. Solution ? Do not use steam . I've bought a recent game from mid. 2020 and it works fine on vanilla Vista , but the steam version doesn't work , so I got a refund. Let them feel that we are to decide what we want.

Well in my case its all fine , the above picture is the steam version , i do have extended kernel, but i did test without it just for the record.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:56 AM, Dixel said:

I don't have this exact issue with Opera , though I've never tried ver. 72 , and I was asking about Chromium , not Opera. And the issue with chromium is not like this at all , they are just switched OFF , not "disabled" . For example an extension with dark theme is not disabled , but switched OFF after I restart the browser , so I have to manually switch it back on with the button . This happens to you with some custom adblocker ? Then just use Chromium 81.

No, this does not happen on Chromium 89.0.4385.0. I installed 2 themes, Just Black and B and W to test, they do not switch off after relaunch. Tried local redirection, same case. This is on a Vista Home Premium VM updated till Jan.2020. 

I also tried on vanilla SP2 (actually Server 2008 SP2) and issue is absent for me.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, D.Draker said:

So is there an end to this story ?

Story ends here. Please stop being sarcastic to everyone.

11 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

No, this does not happen on Chromium 89.0.4385.0. I installed 2 themes, Just Black and B and W to test, they do not switch off after relaunch. Tried local redirection, same case. This is on a Vista Home Premium VM updated till Jan.2020. 

I also tried on vanilla SP2 (actually Server 2008 SP2 since I did not have a spare Vista VM to test on) and issue is absent for me.

I0SnmtU.png

YrFoBjm.png

On 10/01/2021 at 2:54 PM, burd said:

are you running a vm of vista inside vista? :D  or rather s2008sp2

Yes this is Vista inside Vista. Server 2008 is on another VM (not shown in these images)

This is some weird behaviour I noticed on Firefox: on Firefox 68 ESR with localised versions of Media Foundation files, Youtube videos (both pre-recorded and livestreamed) play perfectly fine, but on Firefox 78.0 ESR and upwards, pre-recorded videos don't play while livestreams play properly. This is not a very big deal, I know I can use Chrome, but sometimes I prefer Firefox for blocking the disturbing ads on Youtube. I don't know about Rapid Release branches. Anyone else facing this issue?

Update: This issue seems to have been fixed (unknowingly) by Mozilla in FF 84. Both pre recorded vids and livestreams play just fine with localised Media Foundation files.

Edited by Win10-Hater

I also tried on vanilla SP2 (actually Server 2008 SP2) and issue is absent for me.

Are you really sure it's an actual dark theme ? It's all white ?!?! Even the settings page is white . It's not working , only the upper part is changed. And why do you have no aero !?!? I guess it's because you installed a ton of updates . Something is definitely wrong with your system . Here you go, take a look at mine - all working  with aero, this is what dark themes should like . And what about adblocker extensions ? Have you tried them with chromium 89 ? Try installing any adblocker and see if it's actually working . I mean, load a page page with any website and see if the ads are blocked.

dark theme.png

aero.png

This is on a Vista Home Premium VM updated till Jan.2020. 

And I think you need to try the adblocker on some real hardware with chromium 89 , it's not the same as VM (obviously). Install the adblocker , add lists, make sure it is switched on , relaunch the browser (important), open a page with ads (any, seriously) and see if the ads are blocked (or not). Thanks

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

Are you really sure it's an actual dark theme ? It's all white ?!?! Even the settings page is white . It's not working , only the upper part is changed. And why do you have no aero !?!? I guess it's because you installed a ton of updates . Something is definitely wrong with your system . Here you go, take a look at mine - all working  with aero

The dark theme must only be modifying the browser tabs, navigation bar, etc. Also Aero doesn't work if a program is maximized on Vista, also, some people might like running without the glass effects for more performance

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

The dark theme must only be modifying the browser tabs...

Yes . that's precisely what I was talking about . And his tab with the settings is white. And the second part is not completely true , I'm afraid . The aero effect should still be visible , even if maximized on Vista , take a closer look at the upper left corner of this pic. You might wanna add some brightness, though . I think you just forgot , because you're on some other OS.

aero maximized.png

46 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Yes . that's precisely what I was talking about . And his tab with the settings is white. And the second part is not completely true , I'm afraid . The aero effect should still be visible , even if maximized on Vista , take a closer look at the upper left corner of this pic. You might wanna add some brightness, though . I think you just forgot , because you're on some other OS.

aero maximized.png

The theme could replace the window border, I've had some themes like that in the past.

15 hours ago, Dixel said:

Are you really sure it's an actual dark theme ? It's all white ?!?! Even the settings page is white . It's not working , only the upper part is changed. And why do you have no aero !?!? I guess it's because you installed a ton of updates . Something is definitely wrong with your system . Here you go, take a look at mine - all working  with aero, this is what dark themes should like . And what about adblocker extensions ? Have you tried them with chromium 89 ? Try installing any adblocker and see if it's actually working . I mean, load a page page with any website and see if the ads are blocked.

dark theme.png

My best guess is you used a third party dark theme that changes some settings in chrome://flags to make everything look dark? Also, uBO does not install even thru dev mode from an unpacked extension folder on Chrome/Chromium. It says "could not load manifest".

5 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

My best guess is you used a third party dark theme that changes some settings in chrome://flags to make everything look dark? Also, uBO does not install even thru dev mode from an unpacked extension folder on Chrome/Chromium. It says "could not load manifest".

Well , there are plenty of dark themes for chrome and almost all that I've seen do change the tabs' colour . I mean , there is no sense in that theme of yours , cause it's still 90% white . As for the abblocker , I can install it , but as soon as I re-launch the browser , it's simply turns itself OFF , it's not disabled , like you said earlier about Opera, it's just turned off , I can turn it on again , but it's quite annoying , it happens only on newer versions of chromium. I think it may have something to do with Google's war with adblocking.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/12/13/0012217/here-comes-the-google-chrome-change-that-worries-ad-blocker-creators

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am planning to experiment and try to use Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit as my main OS on a Core 2 machine, mainly because I really do not play any newer game titles and I want the nostalgia. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 and 64-bit DVDs and case here that I've kept for almost ten years now, since I was very young.  I was curious if anyone that's currently using Vista 64-bit with the fixes would happen to know or could check if 'Roblox' will run with these fixes. Roblox dropped support for both XP and Vista in late 2019, but there was a workaround in registry editor for a short time according to a few videos on YouTube. 

If it doesn't however, it still wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. If someone can, let me know.

Respectfully,

Shawn Wilkerson

1 minute ago, Shawn.Wilkerson said:

Hello,

I am planning to experiment and try to use Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit as my main OS on a Core 2 machine, mainly because I really do not play any newer game titles and I want the nostalgia. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 and 64-bit DVDs and case here that I've kept for almost ten years now, since I was very young.  I was curious if anyone that's currently using Vista 64-bit with the fixes would happen to know or could check if 'Roblox' will run with these fixes. Roblox dropped support for both XP and Vista in late 2019, but there was a workaround in registry editor for a short time according to a few videos on YouTube. 

If it doesn't however, it still wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. If someone can, let me know.

Respectfully,

Shawn Wilkerson

If I remember correctly, Roblox dropped support for everything below 10