Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

1 hour ago, TECHGEEK said:

Vivaldi browser version 3.4.2066.106 works with the extended kernel, but with that Metro UI abomination.

i don’t know why, but themes do not work for me in Vivaldi

On 11/26/2020 at 8:08 AM, TECHGEEK said:

Telegram does not open(I tested the portable version). It asks for GetTouchInputInfo in user32.dll. It must be 32bit (I've not yet checked).

Tested on a Vista Home Premium x64 VM full updated till Jan. 2020

Capture.thumb.JPG.553a47025ecaecd82c75a5a00c2cfb7f.JPG

I found this project, it works entirely on the Extended Kernel:

https://github.com/TDesktop-x64/tdesktop

1 hour ago, gerona12 said:

I installed Microsoft Office 2016 x64 to Windows 7, copy folder office in Vista with ExKerne. Error gdiplus.dll no found. How to solve/fix?

Office 2013+ is not working entirely with the extended kernel as of now, but win32 has gotten the installer to launch and work up to an extent by adding an x86 kernel32.dll function necessary to launch the installer. More x86 functions that would make Office 2013+ to run are being added, AFAIK. 

Btw, I have a question. Why exactly would you need Office 2013+ now? Office 2013 and up (especially 2013) are very crappy, bloated and bad-looking, without a standard MSI installer which you could slim down to remove unneeded programs like InfoPath, Outlook (I don't use it, but maybe you and some other people do, I dunno) and Skype for Business/Lync in version 2013 (2016 and 2019, 2013 Pro Plus has an MSI installer, still, the programs are more disk-heavy that 2007 or 2010, which still work on Vista). Aero also does not work with Office 2013+ installed on Windows 7, so Aero working with Vista is not in question. According to me, the fact that Office 2010 is the last working version of Office on Vista is a blessing in disguise (I'm repeating WinClient 5270's words which he posted elsewhere on the Vista forum about the same issue ).

Not meaning to insult you, but I just want to know why you need Office 2016. So please answer me.

Edited by TECHGEEK

On 12/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, Rouddy said:

I found this project, it works entirely on the Extended Kernel:

https://github.com/TDesktop-x64/tdesktop

Sorry for the late reply, @Rouddy.

This project aims at making a pure x64 version of Telegram? If so,then that's great! Tested with the extended kernel and it works just fine! It's safe too!

5 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Office 2013+ is not working entirely with the extended kernel as of now, but win32 has gotten the installer to launch and work up to an extent by adding an x86 kernel32.dll function necessary to launch the installer. More x86 functions that would make Office 2013+ to run are being added, AFAIK. 

Btw, I have a question. Why exactly would you need Office 2013+ now? Office 2013 and up (especially 2013) are very crappy, bloated and bad-looking, without a standard MSI installer which you could slim down to remove unneeded programs like InfoPath, Outlook (I don't use it, but maybe you and some other people do, I dunno) and Skype for Business/Lync in version 2013 (2016 and 2019, 2013 Pro Plus has an MSI installer, still, the programs are more disk-heavy that 2007 or 2010, which still work on Vista). Aero also does not work with Office 2013+ installed on Windows 7, so Aero working with Vista is not in question. According to me, the fact that Office 2010 is the last working version of Office on Vista is a blessing in disguise (I'm repeating WinClient 5270's words which he posted elsewhere on the Vista forum about the same issue ).

Not meaning to insult you, but I just want to know why you need Office 2016. So please answer me.

You are absolutely right that Office 2010 is the best of them all. But modern project development requires the functionality of new versions of Office and Visual Studio 2017+ Windows 7/8/10 I do not use because of close integration with Internet services and constantly slow down. Windows Vista is the last adequate version.

21 minutes ago, gerona12 said:

You are absolutely right that Office 2010 is the best of them all. But modern project development requires the functionality of new versions of Office and Visual Studio 2017+ Windows 7/8/10 I do not use because of close integration with Internet services and constantly slow down. Windows Vista is the last adequate version.

Yes I see... 

win32 will surely work on making Office 2013+ run properly on Vista and add some more missing functions, afaik.

7 hours ago, gerona12 said:

I installed Microsoft Office 2016 x64 to Windows 7, copy folder office in Vista with ExKerne. Error gdiplus.dll no found. How to solve/fix?

You need to look for gdiplus.dll in Windows\winSxS folder, and if possible get it from Windows 7 with version number 6.1.7601.24542 (amd64 of course), as that has extra functions but seems to be Vista-compatible.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

You need to look for gdiplus.dll in Windows\winSxS folder, and if possible get it from Windows 7 with version number 6.1.7601.24542 (amd64 of course), as that has extra functions but seems to be Vista-compatible.

Where to copy the files to?

11 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Btw, I have a question. Why exactly would you need Office 2013+ now? Office 2013 and up (especially 2013) are very crappy, bloated and bad-looking, without a standard MSI installer which you could slim down to remove unneeded programs like InfoPath, Outlook (I don't use it, but maybe you and some other people do, I dunno) and Skype for Business/Lync in version 2013 (2016 and 2019, 2013 Pro Plus has an MSI installer, still, the programs are more disk-heavy that 2007 or 2010, which still work on Vista).

Well thats pretty simple: I agree on the fact that Office should have kept the 2010 Aero Design Scheme but Office 2010 is no longer a secure option and especially not for people who use Windows Vista as a daily driver (without Server 2008 ESUs).

Some of the best Office 2013 benefits are:

1) In Word 2013 you can embed YouTube videos in your documents and play them directly. Various ODT and PDF files can now be converted (I personally need that feature for school/university)

2 ) In PowerPoint 2013, you can  see your notes about the slides on your screen during the presentation, while the viewers only see the slides

3) While Office 2010 didn't have much to do with the cloud, OneDrive is now fully integrated into the office suite. Office documents can be saved quickly and easily in the cloud and further processed at any time from any location with an internet connection.

4) OneNote 2013/2016/W10 edition Notes are not compatible with OneNote 2010. I cannot see or edit my Notes written on my Tablet on Office 2010. Higher OneNote versions are not compatible with 2010.

10 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Well thats pretty simple: I agree on the fact that Office should have kept the 2010 Aero Design Scheme but Office 2010 is no longer a secure option and especially not for people who use Windows Vista as a daily driver (without Server 2008 ESUs).

Some of the best Office 2013 benefits are:

1) In Word 2013 you can embed YouTube videos in your documents and play them directly. Various ODT and PDF files can now be converted (I personally need that feature for school/university)

2 ) In PowerPoint 2013, you can  see your notes about the slides on your screen during the presentation, while the viewers only see the slides

3) While Office 2010 didn't have much to do with the cloud, OneDrive is now fully integrated into the office suite. Office documents can be saved quickly and easily in the cloud and further processed at any time from any location with an internet connection.

4) OneNote 2013/2016/W10 edition Notes are not compatible with OneNote 2010. I cannot see or edit my Notes written on my Tablet on Office 2010. Higher OneNote versions are not compatible with 2010.

Well, the temporary answer to these problems is simple. Just use virtualisation/dualboot/another computer with Windows 7/8/8.1. I recommend using Windows 8 (with UI tweaks) and avoiding Windows 10.

Let's see whether in the not-so-distant future, Office 2013+ would run properly on Vista.

Edited by TECHGEEK